Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Editing the sound in Control panel

18 Feb 2013   #1
meebers

Windows 7 Professional X64 Service Pack 1
 
 
Editing the sound in Control panel

If you go to control panel/Sound & Sounds, I noticed that there are some programs there that I once had installed. Is there a way to remove/edit those old programs so that they no longer are listed? Tx


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Feb 2013   #2
TwoCables

 

I'm confused because I don't see "Sound & Sounds". Can you post a screenshot?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2013   #3
Brink
Microsoft MVP

64-bit Windows 10 build 10159
 
 

Hello meebers,

That section doesn't have any programs listed. Do you mean that there are some sound files listed that you want removed instead, or.....?

Sounds - Change

If so, then you could just delete the sound file in the C:\Windows\Media folder to no longer have it listed afterwards.




It sounds more like you mean in Programs and Features instead. If so, the tutorial below can help show you how to remove the uninstall entries.
Programs and Features - Remove Uninstall Entry
Hope this helps for now,
Shawn
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


19 Feb 2013   #4
meebers

Windows 7 Professional X64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Posting a screen shot. You will notice that in the control panel there is an Icon labeled Sound, once that is selected, you will notice that there is a tab called Sounds. Under Sounds there are some programs that the install placed events for that program that have their own unique sounds. i.e. Avast in this example. I no longer have Avast (and a bunch of others) that I want them removed under Program events? I would think that the un-install would remove them??? Tx


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Feb 2013   #5
fireberd

Windows 7/8.1/10 64 bit
 
 

How did you uninstall those programs? Did you just delete them or did you use the Uninstall programs? Programs such as Revo Uninstaller (there is a free version) also seek out left over registry and files and allow the user to also uninstall them.

Ccleaner (free) cam remove some leftoverrs in the registry.

I've removed programs that installed extra system sounds and that was removed when I uninstalled (some with just the program's uninstaller and some with Revo Uninstaller).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Feb 2013   #6
TwoCables

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by meebers View Post
Posting a screen shot. You will notice that in the control panel there is an Icon labeled Sound, once that is selected, you will notice that there is a tab called Sounds. Under Sounds there are some programs that the install placed events for that program that have their own unique sounds. i.e. Avast in this example. I no longer have Avast (and a bunch of others) that I want them removed under Program events? I would think that the un-install would remove them??? Tx
When you uninstalled Avast, did you use Avast's uninstaller, or did you use the Programs and Features control panel? Or, did you use a different method? I don't know which method is the best, but maybe you can reinstall Avast and use a different method of uninstalling to see if that does the trick.

Alternatively, you can just ignore those things in the Sound control panel because it's 100% harmless for them to be there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Feb 2013   #7
meebers

Windows 7 Professional X64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by meebers View Post
Posting a screen shot. You will notice that in the control panel there is an Icon labeled Sound, once that is selected, you will notice that there is a tab called Sounds. Under Sounds there are some programs that the install placed events for that program that have their own unique sounds. i.e. Avast in this example. I no longer have Avast (and a bunch of others) that I want them removed under Program events? I would think that the un-install would remove them??? Tx
When you uninstalled Avast, did you use Avast's uninstaller, or did you use the Programs and Features control panel? Or, did you use a different method? I don't know which method is the best, but maybe you can reinstall Avast and use a different method of uninstalling to see if that does the trick.

Alternatively, you can just ignore those things in the Sound control panel because it's 100% harmless for them to be there.
I did use Avast's uninstaller. I have also ran Ccleaner on the registry approximately 10 times since Avast was uninstalled. Not for just getting rid of the Avasts entry in Program events, but for many other things as well. I know they are harmless, but I was in the process of getting rid of or changing some of the sounds when I delete emails and found myself scrolling thru programs that were no longer installed. I can live with it, but would rather run a "clean" install checking revo now.

Update. Revo did not find any avast/alwil entries. Did a register search, found one entry Alwil Soft ware/Avast. One line entry only. (Not messing with it)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Feb 2013   #8
TwoCables

 

Oh, be careful when using Registry Cleaners. They have a history of deleting false positives and sometimes breaking practically everything.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Feb 2013   #9
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Run Revo with the Safe mode selected, it can flag reg keys which are used by other programs.

Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Uninstall Programs
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Feb 2013   #10
meebers

Windows 7 Professional X64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Oh, be careful when using Registry Cleaners. They have a history of deleting false positives and sometimes breaking practically everything.
I know, took precautions, did an image back up of the whole drive before "tweaking"

I don't know for sure, but would assume there is a file somewhere that populates the Program Events on the "sounds" tab??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Editing the sound in Control panel




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Sound Control panel takes 2 minutes to open; HDMI sound inconsistent
Brand new Windows 7 Home Premium (6 bit) computer. When I click on the Sound control panel item, sometimes it takes 1-2 minutes to open. But that's kind of minor (although I'd like to know how to fix it), because sometimes the HDMI sound to my HDTV works fine, and sometimes it doesn't work at all....
Sound & Audio
Sound in Control Panel problem
Hello All, I was wondering. Does any one know how to get the "Apply" button working again? In my Windows 7 x64 on the Sound options in the Control Panel it is shaded grey all the time. So, when I'm trying to set the default sound to Bluetooth it is not possible to Apply any changes. To this...
Drivers
Sound control panel configuration
I just got new 5.1 surround sound speakers and i have a couple of problems configuring them properly. 1. with higher frequency there's a static noise, which i believe has to do with treble, in the control panel the sound configuration doesnt offer any option to change this, any tool which i...
Sound & Audio
Can't open sound control panel
When I right-click the speaker icon in the system tray and choose Playback, Recording, or Sounds nothing happens. I usually use this function often as I use a USB headset at times and to adjust the Line In volume (for my Xbox 360). I can't recall my changing anything recently that would have caused...
Sound & Audio
Can't open sound control panel
dont know what when wrong but I cannot access my audio devices control panel. Control Panel...Hardware and Sound..Manage Audio Devices. Nothing happens. Only a brief flicker. I also cannot change system sounds. Any idea what could be the problem? or at least how to go about debugging it.
Sound & Audio
How to remove Control Panel items by editing registry?
Hi. I want to remove some control panel items (.cpl) from the Control Panel list. I own a bit tweaked version of Windows 7 and I cant access gpedit, so I have to do it in the registry. I've started to looking into HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Panel\donít...
Customization

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App