Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: 6 months now and still no solution to audio Crackling/Popping/Dropouts

22 Mar 2013   #21
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Ok mate well the SSD I think I am right in saying doesn't have drivers I saw that a few days ago on another thread and I have four in use in my machines I certainly haven't had to download any. The only thing with SSD's really is the firmware.

I was thinking maybe if it was a spinner then the inner mechanisms were worn out or wearing out.

Temps fine in fact the CPU is really good for a laptop.

Now the RAM usage is fairly high and I am wondering how much RAM the machine will take - that depends on the chipset supporting say 8GB.

Now the other thing we could do is a memory test because the DDR2 is fairly old but still ok. Did you try reseating the stick/s ? if not try that and then if it still persists a memtest is in order.

For that you will need to make a bootable disk from this Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool and let it run for at least 8 passes.

Just download that test burn to a disk and then set the BIOS to boot from the optical.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
25 Mar 2013   #22
thedoc735

windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICit2lol View Post
Ok mate well the SSD I think I am right in saying doesn't have drivers I saw that a few days ago on another thread and I have four in use in my machines I certainly haven't had to download any. The only thing with SSD's really is the firmware.

I was thinking maybe if it was a spinner then the inner mechanisms were worn out or wearing out.

Temps fine in fact the CPU is really good for a laptop.

Now the RAM usage is fairly high and I am wondering how much RAM the machine will take - that depends on the chipset supporting say 8GB.

Now the other thing we could do is a memory test because the DDR2 is fairly old but still ok. Did you try reseating the stick/s ? if not try that and then if it still persists a memtest is in order.

For that you will need to make a bootable disk from this Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool and let it run for at least 8 passes.

Just download that test burn to a disk and then set the BIOS to boot from the optical.
Kwitel already said that the problem goes away when the network is disabled. I have the same problem, but I don't want to have to disable the network connection every time I listen to music. Surely if it was a memory or CPU issue it would effect much more than just the audio output? Maybe the PC/laptop wouldn't even boot properly (maybe not at all) if the memory/CPU was faulty? All my drivers are up to date on windows 7. Also using pentium 4 CPU/DDR2 3Gb. All other functions work perfectly. Thanx!
The network card is a tenda W322p/PCI.
The same problem exists with either the motherboard on-board sound, or seperate sound card.
It sounds like a fast repetitive stutter similar to a vinyl LP styli that has got stuck in one groove over and over again; e.g. "gra-gra-gra-gra-grateful".
It's definitely a high dpc latency thing, but what to do?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Mar 2013   #23
kwitel

7/64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICit2lol View Post
Ok mate well the SSD I think I am right in saying doesn't have drivers I saw that a few days ago on another thread and I have four in use in my machines I certainly haven't had to download any. The only thing with SSD's really is the firmware.

I was thinking maybe if it was a spinner then the inner mechanisms were worn out or wearing out.

Temps fine in fact the CPU is really good for a laptop.

Now the RAM usage is fairly high and I am wondering how much RAM the machine will take - that depends on the chipset supporting say 8GB.

Now the other thing we could do is a memory test because the DDR2 is fairly old but still ok. Did you try reseating the stick/s ? if not try that and then if it still persists a memtest is in order.

For that you will need to make a bootable disk from this Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool and let it run for at least 8 passes.

Just download that test burn to a disk and then set the BIOS to boot from the optical.
I have no idea how to do what you just mentioned...that is, make a bootable disk.
Why do I need to do that?

Also, I think I am just going to buy another 4gb stick.
Im usually low on memory anyways so it cant hurt, being that I am only at 4gbs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Mar 2013   #24
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 


In short to test the memory for any defects and lets be honest it isDDR2 and has had a fair bit of use and abuse for all we know.

To do this you download and save the memtest ISO from that memtestsite I gave you to Downloads (I keep mine as an icon on the desktop - to dothat type Downloads in search and right click save to desktop) then usesomething like Imgburn to make a bootable disk from that download.

Then you set the BIOS to boot from the optical drive insert the disk in the optical go to the BIOS and Exit and save settings and itwill do just that it boots in the memtest application it will not activate anyOS or suchlike. .

You must let it run for at least 8 passes and if possibleovernight any red warnings will let you know if there is a problem. If the redwarnings start popping up straight away then you need go no further.


The extra RAM yes go ahead by all means if that boardsupports more than 4GB which I think it does but looking at the prices it is really quite expensive. With RAM as a matter of interest it is best bought in"kits" that is to say twp sticks of the same brand in the samepackaging because they are more likely to be made at the same time as eachother and therefore more likely to be evenly "matched". If you cannotafford a kit then at least try to get the same brand.

The Official ImgBurn Website

To make the disk run Imgburn and use what I circled and follow theinstructions - you then have the bootable disk.







* To doc mate I am just trying to eliminate any straightforward physical problems first if you think you know what the answer may bethen please I am more than happy to let you take over as I am not an expert byany means
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2013   #25
thedoc735

windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kwitel View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICit2lol View Post
Ok mate well the SSD I think I am right in saying doesn't have drivers I saw that a few days ago on another thread and I have four in use in my machines I certainly haven't had to download any. The only thing with SSD's really is the firmware.

I was thinking maybe if it was a spinner then the inner mechanisms were worn out or wearing out.

Temps fine in fact the CPU is really good for a laptop.

Now the RAM usage is fairly high and I am wondering how much RAM the machine will take - that depends on the chipset supporting say 8GB.

Now the other thing we could do is a memory test because the DDR2 is fairly old but still ok. Did you try reseating the stick/s ? if not try that and then if it still persists a memtest is in order.

For that you will need to make a bootable disk from this Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool and let it run for at least 8 passes.

Just download that test burn to a disk and then set the BIOS to boot from the optical.
I have no idea how to do what you just mentioned...that is, make a bootable disk.
Why do I need to do that?

Also, I think I am just going to buy another 4gb stick.
Im usually low on memory anyways so it cant hurt, being that I am only at 4gbs.
make a bootable disk = you need to burn those files to a blank CD/DVD using a 'writer drive' and then boot from the CD/DVD drive, rather than the HDD.

I only have 3GB memory and my PC never uses more than about 34%, I have almost 2GB spare most of the time. I can't see why your 4GB is not sufficient?

I have also swapped out my memory sticks/CPU temporarily which made no difference to the audio problems?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2013   #26
thedoc735

windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICit2lol View Post
In short to test the memory for any defects and lets be honest it isDDR2 and has had a fair bit of use and abuse for all we know.

To do this you download and save the memtest ISO from that memtestsite I gave you to Downloads (I keep mine as an icon on the desktop - to dothat type Downloads in search and right click save to desktop) then usesomething like Imgburn to make a bootable disk from that download.

Then you set the BIOS to boot from the optical drive insert the disk in the optical go to the BIOS and Exit and save settings and itwill do just that it boots in the memtest application it will not activate anyOS or suchlike. .

You must let it run for at least 8 passes and if possibleovernight any red warnings will let you know if there is a problem. If the redwarnings start popping up straight away then you need go no further.


The extra RAM yes go ahead by all means if that boardsupports more than 4GB which I think it does but looking at the prices it is really quite expensive. With RAM as a matter of interest it is best bought in"kits" that is to say twp sticks of the same brand in the samepackaging because they are more likely to be made at the same time as eachother and therefore more likely to be evenly "matched". If you cannotafford a kit then at least try to get the same brand.

The Official ImgBurn Website

To make the disk run Imgburn and use what I circled and follow theinstructions - you then have the bootable disk.
* To doc mate I am just trying to eliminate any straightforward physical problems first if you think you know what the answer may bethen please I am more than happy to let you take over as I am not an expert byany means
I only have 3GB memory and my PC never uses more than about 34%, I have almost 2GB spare most of the time. I can't see why anyone's 4GB is not sufficient?

I have also swapped out my memory sticks/CPU temporarily which made no difference to the audio problems? I have also done the memtest thing anyway and used extensive testing with post probe/micro-scope (micro 2000) which revealed no issues. I also dismantled it and gave it a thorough dusting and 'contact' clean, non of which has made any difference at all?
Tthe problem goes away when the network is disabled. I don't want to have to disable the network connection every time I listen to music! All my drivers are up to date on windows 7. Also using pentium 4 CPU/DDR2 3Gb. All other functions work perfectly. The network card is a tenda W322p/PCI.
The same problem exists with either the motherboard on-board sound, or seperate sound card.
It sounds like a fast repetitive stutter similar to a vinyl LP styli that has got stuck in one groove over and over again; e.g. "gra-gra-gra-gra-grateful".
It's definitely a high dpc latency thing, but what to do?

@ ICit2lol = hey man! ~ let's all work together on this thing. I think I have now eliminated those physical possibilities though? Keep up the good work/suggestions, you never know, you might just end up being someones saviour
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2013   #27
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Doc mate that is what I said if you read my post - make a bootable disk now I and I am guessing most people in here anyway would know that means downloading the memtest to your downloads site on the machine then burn a disk (with Imgburn - image to disk) I think I used a DVD as I am not sure which it is as there are some that are just over the CD limit - anyway you then take that disk and reset the BIOS to boot from the optical and insert the DVD (or CD) and exit the BIOS keeping the changes and the machine will "boot" from that disk straight into memtest and then you just let it run. Now as I also said it needs at LEAST 8 passes preferably overnight to get a proper test done unless you see red errors strait popping up almost straight away or a few passes into the test.
I didn't say anything about using the HDD mate the only way it is used is to keep that download in downloads.

Well that is very good if your RAM only uses that much mine hovers at about 2GB of 8 and that is what I would expect it to be and the fact that the OP has some older RAM type in there suggests to me unless he has replaced it within the lat couple of years it has had a fair bit of use. Like I said I am just working down the elimination process starting at the simple stuff because too many times we jump to th worst case scenarios straight away when in fact it may be some thing quite simple, I mean you would not swap out a cars engine because the wrong key wouldn't start it would you?

Hey but if you want to carry on and help this chap out then please be my guest I am only doing what I would do if it were my machine/s
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2013   #28
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Well Doc what makes you think I haven't already helped anyone out?

Not blowing my own trumpet mate but I have been on here for some time and while I am no expert I think I have done a few things right from time to time.

Anyway you seem to have it under control you can take point.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2013   #29
kwitel

7/64 bit
 
 

My problem is actually getting worse over time.

My audio dropouts can now last up to 2 seconds.

Im about ready to buy a new computer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2013   #30
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kwitel View Post
My problem is actually getting worse over time.

My audio dropouts can now last up to 2 seconds.

Im about ready to buy a new computer.
To be brutally honest kwitel if you have done all the drivers and stuff you cannot see what is going and put that new RAM in I think the Dell may have seen better days.

Your last comment I think is probably going to save you a lot of grief in the long run mate. That is if the budget will run to it of course. It frequently happens you fix one thing and something else lest go bit like older cars really.
Now it is entirely up to you but if you do get a new machine I would be very wary of getting one with Windows 8 on it unless of course you really like it.
Personally I think it is leading us down a path that I do not like the sound of but it is up to you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 6 months now and still no solution to audio Crackling/Popping/Dropouts




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Audio Popping/Crackling
I just bought windows 7 for the first time and after installation and installing all drivers I realized I only had one issue. For some reason when audio starts or ends there is popping/crackling noise. Does anyone know how to fix this? I'm using a Sennheiser PC 350 headset and on board audio...
Sound & Audio
Crackling and popping audio.
Hi all; Question about the audio on my laptop. Have any of you ever experienced "popping" during audio playback? It says the drivers are working ok. It never threw a code or anything. Any suggestions, ideas as to goings on?
Sound & Audio
Intermittent popping/crackling noise during audio playback
Hi Everyone: I have a Sony Vaio VPCL23CFX All-in-one desktop computer (See my SPECS). I have an odd problem that I cannot seem to resolve. When I play a song, any song, or any MUSIC, for that matter, I get a popping/crackling noise every once in a while. Sometimes it won't happen for a...
Sound & Audio
Seemingly random audio crackling/popping
Lately I've been having a problem where my audio snaps and pops. It's not constant but it can get pretty noticeable. Especially on more calm music. It occurs while any audio is playing. Skype calls, Youtube videos, songs, video games. Anything. At first I had thought it was simply because my...
Sound & Audio
Audio Popping/Crackling/Static Windows 7 x64 on Asus f50 Series
Hello 7 forums, I'm having an issue with my audio that is driving me up a wall. I'm having that (apparently common) issue of crackling/popping/static-y audio on a Realtek chip. I've tried multiple drivers, from Realtek official to Generic to Vista ones. My latency graph has little to no spiking...
Sound & Audio
EMU 0202 Crackling and Popping
I recently noticed that whenever I'm playing audio through my EMU 0202 and I do anything that changes the CPU load (ex. moving the window around, or dragging the window to fullscreen, browsing the internet etc). This has not been an issue in the past, I just noticed it the other day. Anyone...
Sound & Audio


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:48.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App