Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: No 'What You Hear'

21 Jul 2013   #1

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 
No 'What You Hear'

Hello.

I've not noticed until now, but I cannot record sounds from the Internet, e.g. streaming radio There is no 'Stereo Mix' or 'What You Hear' on my installation of Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

I have the awful onboard Realtek sytem. Is it fixable?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Jul 2013   #2

Windows 7, 64 bit Home SP1, Win 8.1.1 Pro 64 bit
 
 

Most new RealTek drivers include the Stereo Mix. However, we have seen a couple of vendors that did not enable that function. I have a Gigabyte motherboard and the Gigabyte RealTek driver has the Stereo Mix.

Go to the Sound Panel/Recording Section. RIGHT click in an empty area in that panel, and then check the boxes to Show Disabled and Disconnected Devices. Then see if Stereo Mix shows up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jul 2013   #3

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Someone wrote: (what happened to Quote on this forum?)
>Most new RealTek drivers include the Stereo Mix. However, we have seen a couple
>of vendors that did not enable that function. I have a Gigabyte motherboard and
>the Gigabyte RealTek driver has the Stereo Mix.
>
>Go to the Sound Panel/Recording Section. RIGHT click in an empty area in that
>panel, and then check the boxes to Show Disabled and Disconnected Devices.
>Then see if Stereo Mix shows up.

The only recording devices I have are:

- Mic - Unplugged
- Mic - Unplugged
- Line In - Default Device
- S/PDIF
- Mic - (USB Audio Device) (Disabled) [Webcam presumably]

Is this a driver problem?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


21 Jul 2013   #4

Windows 7, 64 bit Home SP1, Win 8.1.1 Pro 64 bit
 
 

If nothing else showed up after enabling Disabled and Disconnected devices, try reinstalling the Gigabyte supplied driver for your motherboard.

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 775 - GA-EP41T-UD3L (rev. 1.0)

If reinstalling (or installing if you never installed the correct driver) the Gigabyte supplied driver does not help, you can try the generic driver from the RealTek site. However, based on past experiences helping people on here, the generic RealTek driver did not help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jul 2013   #5

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Are you sure that this is even a driver thing? I could be wrong but, I would think that the various webcasters would, or at least, should want to limit your access to recording what could possibly be copyrighted material. If I were Pandora, I would probably want to avoid hassles with the RIAA and etc., for example. I might even be compelled to talk to MS about writing that capability out of the OS code...

I don't want to get into a discussion re: copyrights, but something tells me that licensing and etc may take issue with that. Whether it's right or wrong depends on what you're going to do with the recording, I guess.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jul 2013   #6

Windows 7, 64 bit Home SP1, Win 8.1.1 Pro 64 bit
 
 

The Stereo Mix is a local PC function, it has nothing to do with on-line sites.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jul 2013   #7

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fireberd View Post
If nothing else showed up after enabling Disabled and Disconnected devices, try reinstalling the Gigabyte supplied driver for your motherboard.

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 775 - GA-EP41T-UD3L (rev. 1.0)

If reinstalling (or installing if you never installed the correct driver) the Gigabyte supplied driver does not help, you can try the generic driver from the RealTek site. However, based on past experiences helping people on here, the generic RealTek driver did not help.
Thanks !

I downloaded the file, reinstalled the drivers and now have Stereo Mix and one or two other devices back.

Thanks again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jul 2013   #8

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PeaB4YouGo View Post
Are you sure that this is even a driver thing? I could be wrong but, I would think that the various webcasters would, or at least, should want to limit your access to recording what could possibly be copyrighted material. If I were Pandora, I would probably want to avoid hassles with the RIAA and etc., for example. I might even be compelled to talk to MS about writing that capability out of the OS code...

I don't want to get into a discussion re: copyrights, but something tells me that licensing and etc may take issue with that. Whether it's right or wrong depends on what you're going to do with the recording, I guess.
In my case it was a driver problem.

However, I have heard it said that manufacturers of soundcards had colluded with the music industries to cripple the recording aspects of their soundcards. Which is why the Realtek soundcards so often lose their 'What You Hear'/Stereo Mix capabilities.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 No 'What You Hear'




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: No 'What You Hear'
Thread Forum
Everyone in any voice chat can hear everything I hear. PLEASE HELP Sound & Audio
Can't hear Line in? Sound & Audio
Did you hear about the 5 year old who... Chillout Room
Can hear the others but they can't hear me Sound & Audio
What U Hear Sound & Audio
the person on the other end can't hear me Sound & Audio
what u hear not available Sound & Audio

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33