Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Startup System Sound Stopped Playing...


01 Oct 2013   #11

Windows 7 Home Premium, SP 1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ratsneve View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
if sound plays for system sounds and other apps (WMP -> mp3) then it's specific to windows startup sound. software or drivers won't fix what isn't broken.

sometimes just toggling a setting resolves an issue, but this might be Areo related.

Try changin your theme to Windows classic (a non Areo them)
then change sound scheme to 'no sounds' - make sure that windows startup sound is also unticked
save
reboot

start from the ground up - tick startup sound on the sound tab
save and reboot

at this point either the startup sound is working or it isn't
reset the windoes theme to what your prefer and reboot
I'm going to work through the above again. Although I did it all once it did not include using a non-Aero theme and I meant to include it but didn't. Later on the results of this.
Drat...this had no affect on bringing the Startup sound back. Sure makes the desktop look like puke too.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Oct 2013   #12

Windows 7 Home Premium, SP 1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ratsneve View Post
~~~
6. Actual Startup sound wave file apparently resides inside a .dll which iirc is threaded here in sevenforums.
~~~
Process Monitor shows the sound to be a WAV file.

Click to get a light box of this image.
Click again to see it larger.
Attachment 288062

Do you have that file?

Does it manually play for you?
You are pointing to the wrong file. We are concerned with Windows Startup.wav down at the bottom of this folder. Try playing it and you get a sound very similar to Windows Navigation Start.wav.

Read this interesting thread on how to change the default Windows Startup sound to another sound.

Startup Sound - Change in Windows 7

This may be the thread Slartybart (here) was looking for but it doesn't appear to deal with the problem of not being able to play the Startup sound but in how to change the sound so I have not fully read or considered it.

However this is where it sounds to me that the actual Startup.wav actually resides in or part of this .dll

imageres.dll

See what you think if I used one of these procedures to fix this mess? Heck, I'm going to go search for this .dll right now. Maybe it is missing for all I know?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Oct 2013   #13

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

Sounds (pardon the pun) as though you didn't complete the test.
Drat...this had no affect on bringing the Startup sound back. Sure makes the desktop look like puke too.

1) turn off areo theme and untick startup sound - presume this is done bc your desktop is not pretty
2) turn on (tick checkbox) startup sound - not sure if you did this
3) reset desktop theme to your preference - I don't think you did this

anyway, I couldn't find what I thought was out there.

if imageres.dll isn't there you'd know it - it contains all the system icons.

Sorry changing the theme didn't resolve the issue.

good luck

Bill
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


02 Oct 2013   #14

Windows 7 Home Premium, SP 1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
Sounds (pardon the pun) as though you didn't complete the test.
Drat...this had no affect on bringing the Startup sound back. Sure makes the desktop look like puke too.

1) turn off areo theme and untick startup sound - presume this is done bc your desktop is not pretty
2) turn on (tick checkbox) startup sound - not sure if you did this
3) reset desktop theme to your preference - I don't think you did this

anyway, I couldn't find what I thought was out there.

if imageres.dll isn't there you'd know it - it contains all the system icons.

Sorry changing the theme didn't resolve the issue.

good luck

Bill
Sorry, I got sidetracked. I did complete the whole test and none of it including returning to an Aero Theme after finishing resulted in the Startup sound playing once. One through three all done. Found four 'imageres.dll' files.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Oct 2013   #15

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
OP was informed of sounds location in post #2.
I saw that - but I had a question about the existence of the file that Process Monitor pointed to. I should have quoted your post and added to the discussion from there.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ratsneve View Post
~~~
You are pointing to the wrong file. We are concerned with Windows Startup.wav down at the bottom of this folder. Try playing it and you get a sound very similar to Windows Navigation Start.wav.
~~~
Process Monitor shows that RunDLL32 checked (opened - got info - closed) that file when I toggled the setting named "Play Windows Startup Sound" in the Sound Control Panel applet.

I had the Sound Scheme set to "No Sounds" so that Sound Control Panel applet would not set the WAV file info for each event in a scheme. This meant the Process Monitor was only recording what happens behind the scenes when the user changes that setting named "Play Windows Startup Sound". I have no idea why Windows 7 checks that file... I just thought that I would ask if you had it.

Also - the Sound Control Panel applet does not always check that file when the setting named "Play Windows Startup Sound" is changed. Sometimes there are no WAV files checked. I don't like things that don't repeat. It makes it that much harder to document and understand.

I read the link about the DLL - I don't understand it, but I read it :-)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Oct 2013   #16

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

Thanks

Ok, I figured you would complete the list... bc your desktop wasn't pretty.

4 imageres.dll is fine (x86 & x64 = 2 + Winsxs versions of same = 4).

To see if it's just a timing issue, try a clean boot: Troubleshoot Application Conflicts by Performing a Clean Startup
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ratsneve View Post
Sorry, I got sidetracked. I did complete the whole test and none of it including returning to an Aero Theme after finishing resulted in the Startup sound playing once. One through three all done. Found four 'imageres.dll' files.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Oct 2013   #17

Windows 7 Home Premium, SP 1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
Thanks

Ok, I figured you would complete the list... bc your desktop wasn't pretty.

4 imageres.dll is fine (x86 & x64 = 2 + Winsxs versions of same = 4).

To see if it's just a timing issue, try a clean boot: Troubleshoot Application Conflicts by Performing a Clean Startup
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ratsneve View Post
Sorry, I got sidetracked. I did complete the whole test and none of it including returning to an Aero Theme after finishing resulted in the Startup sound playing once. One through three all done. Found four 'imageres.dll' files.
I'm going to perform this clean boot when I get back from the store but I wanted to get out this other/related question first... Does this windows startup sound involve any Services? This is because I sometimes (but don't recall the last time) meddle with a Service I don't think I need. If there is a Service related/needed for this startup sound I might have deactivated it thinking it was stopping something unrelated that I knew I didn't need? Thank you for continuing your interest.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Oct 2013   #18
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

That would be Windows Audio and should be on auto start. Check in msconfig to see if you unchecked it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2013   #19

Windows 7 Home Premium, SP 1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
That would be Windows Audio and should be on auto start. Check in msconfig to see if you unchecked it.
Very close but no cigar. Sorry. 'Windows Audio' was checked and 'running'. Please do read the next post!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2013   #20

Windows 7 Home Premium, SP 1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
Thanks

Ok, I figured you would complete the list... bc your desktop wasn't pretty.

4 imageres.dll is fine (x86 & x64 = 2 + Winsxs versions of same = 4).

To see if it's just a timing issue, try a clean boot: Troubleshoot Application Conflicts by Performing a Clean Startup
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ratsneve View Post
Sorry, I got sidetracked. I did complete the whole test and none of it including returning to an Aero Theme after finishing resulted in the Startup sound playing once. One through three all done. Found four 'imageres.dll' files.
Yippy! YIPPY! Cool! Thank you for pointing me via the tutorial process right to the problem. Following the instructions. I ended up running all my Startup items and all the MS Services but with all the non-MS Services remaining unchecked discovered the stupid Startup sound playing away consistently each time I restarted the machine. It was then a simple matter of checking these non-MS Services one at a time. In the order I took I actually guessed to within the last two remaining Services too! My Windows Startup problem boils down to...tada...

'NVIDIA Streamer Service -- Running'
Checked -- no startup sound
Unchecked -- startup sound plays like it should.

Will call NVIDIA back up who will be very interested in this and likely very helpful on what to do next--like resolving/solving the conflict, why it happens, and how to prevent it from happening again.

I'll post at least one more time to wrap up this thread.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Startup System Sound Stopped Playing...




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Startup System Sound Stopped Playing...
Thread Forum
Solved Multiple audio playing devices, playing the same sound at once Hardware & Devices
BSODs playing GTA IV - No Sound (Sound Card) & Laggy Video! BSOD Help and Support
help! display driver stopped responding during startup Graphic Cards
Solved WMP12 has stopped playing mpg's Media Center
Bugesig.exe has stopped working and has been closed on startup Hardware & Devices
Solved Sound stopped working Sound & Audio
msconfig.exe has stopped working at startup BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33