Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Repairing a missing idtcpl64.cpl file

28 Dec 2013   #1
cbiweb

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 
Repairing a missing idtcpl64.cpl file

I discovered that I'm missing the idtcpl64.cpl file in my Windows/System32 folder. This is preventing me from accessing my Enhanced Audio Controls. I don't know if that's a native Windows app or something that Dell put there, but I was able to use it at one time, and it's been about a year since I tried. So now it's not working, and have no idea what happened.

I Googled and found nothing but people who want me to install registry scanning software yada yada yadam in order to fix it.

Finally I found a place to actually download the file.

My next question is... can I simply drop it into the System32 folder, reboot and I'm back in business? Or is there a more involved process to get it working?

Thanks for any help that can be offered.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Dec 2013   #2
fireberd

Windows 7/10 64 bit
 
 

You can try just adding that file, but I suspect you will have to do a complete reinstall of the IDT sound drivers. If that is the case, use the Dell supplied drivers for your PC. Non Dell drivers, many times, either do not work or do not work correctly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Dec 2013   #3
SandeepP

Winndows 7 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cbiweb View Post
I discovered that I'm missing the idtcpl64.cpl file in my Windows/System32 folder. This is preventing me from accessing my Enhanced Audio Controls. I don't know if that's a native Windows app or something that Dell put there, but I was able to use it at one time, and it's been about a year since I tried. So now it's not working, and have no idea what happened.

I Googled and found nothing but people who want me to install registry scanning software yada yada yadam in order to fix it.

Finally I found a place to actually download the file.

My next question is... can I simply drop it into the System32 folder, reboot and I'm back in business? Or is there a more involved process to get it working?

Thanks for any help that can be offered.
Hi cbiweb,

You can try the file to just copy and paste if it allows you the same, it would be good. Otherwise you should update the audio drivers from the support website:

Updating Dell Drivers

Keep us posted with the results so we can advise you further.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


31 Dec 2013   #4
NoelDP

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)
 
 

SFC -System File Checker - Instructions
Click on Start > All Programs > Accessories
Right-click on the Command Prompt entry
Select Run as Administrator and accept the UAC prompt - the Elevated Command Prompt window should pop up.

At the Command prompt, type

SFC /SCANNOW

and hit the Enter key

Wait for the scan to finish - make a note of any error messages - and then reboot.


Copy the CBS.log file created (C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log) to your desktop (you can't manipulate it directly) and then compress the copy and upload it to your reply so that I can take a look.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jan 2014   #5
cbiweb

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, guys. With the holidays it's been hectic and I haven't gotten around to trying a fix yet, but soon as I get it worked out I'll post back.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jan 2014   #6
SandeepP

Winndows 7 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cbiweb View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions so far, guys. With the holidays it's been hectic and I haven't gotten around to trying a fix yet, but soon as I get it worked out I'll post back.
Hi cbiweb,

Wish you a very happy new as well. Please perform the steps at your convenience and post us with the results so we can advise further if required.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jan 2014   #7
cbiweb

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

RESOLVED: Updating the Dell audio drivers did the trick. Note for future readers: Simply dropping the idtcpl64.cpl file into the Windows/System32 folder did nothing.

I also noticed during troubleshooting that the Windows Sound Recorder was also gone. No idea how these files went missing in the first place, but that's what makes computing so much fun, right?

Thanks again for the help!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jan 2014   #8
SandeepP

Winndows 7 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cbiweb View Post
RESOLVED: Updating the Dell audio drivers did the trick. Note for future readers: Simply dropping the idtcpl64.cpl file into the Windows/System32 folder did nothing.

I also noticed during troubleshooting that the Windows Sound Recorder was also gone. No idea how these files went missing in the first place, but that's what makes computing so much fun, right?

Thanks again for the help!
Hi cbiweb,

Its great to hear after re-installing the audio drivers on the system it is working fine. Thanks for sharing your feedback as I am sure many users would also benefit from it as well.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Repairing a missing idtcpl64.cpl file




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
sfc "Cannot repair member file...Desktop.ini....file is missing"
No problems with my computer, but in the interest of PM after reading of problems here at 7f I ran sfc /scannow and got a whole lot of errors, every one of them related to the file Desktop.ini. Just one example from the CBS.log: 2014-11-22 11:19:45, Info CSI 000001ab Cannot...
Performance & Maintenance
Repairing a recovered XLS file
Hello guys, here's the deal: We had a major HDD fault in a laptop the other day... Pretty messy, (the laptop was our chief accountant's, and she's a paranoid x) ) as most of the data on the harddrive was invaluable. Using a recovery software, however, we've managed to get out about 80% of the...
Software
Missing file mia.lib
Hi all, Been trying to install an update for the ASCOM astronomy common model platform and getting error message that the file mia.lib is missing. Does anyone know what this file is and if it should be installed by the Win 7 install or where I can find it, searched Microsoft site but no luck....
Installation & Setup
Missing DLL file
Sorry if this is in the wrong area. I have a brand new Dell Inspiron and was missing the msstdfmt.dll file. I downloaded it and put it in the system32 folder, but it still says it is not there. Can anyone tell me what could be wrong and how to fix it? Thank you Mike
General Discussion
Repairing AVI file: replacement ~30x original
I am repairing files with VirtualDub, that are reported defective with messages similar to those in the attachment; for example orig 16.1MB, new 624MB. I presume V'Dub behaves much like any similar utility, so hope someone can tell me why the vast increase in size, and secondly how it can be...
Music, Pictures & Video
Missing dll file?
On a recommendation from this forum I downloaded and installed software that will resolve a problem. Only one problem--the software fails to function due to a missing file: "msvcr80.dll". The author says the problem is mine and my system. However, I've searched my system and have found at...
Software

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App