Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: No HDMI audio shows in the panel?


16 Jan 2014   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
No HDMI audio shows in the panel?

I have an Nvidia EVGA GTX260 and it has the spdif cable connected from motherboard to video card.
Nvidia driver shows the HDTV.
Windows does not show any HDMI audio?

How can I get sound to play on the HDTV using HDMI? How to make windows see or install this?

Nvidia says this should work.

How do I setup my NVIDIA based graphics card to work with my HDTV?
If I am using a DVI-to-HDMI cable will audio be transmitted over this cable to the 3D TV?




Attached Thumbnails
No HDMI audio shows in the panel?-nohdmishowing.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Jan 2014   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

And I checked so everything that is there should show up.

How can Nvidia see the TV and show the sound control and windows does not know?


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jan 2014   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

FAQ ID # 58741 - How Do I Enable or Disable HDMI Audio in Windows If I Am Using an HDMI Connection Between My Nvidia Video Card or Motherboard and My Monitor?

I found this and my driver does not show this drop down box for the sound.
So even though I have driver latest from Nvidia, I am downloading EVGA Nvidia driver from their site.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


16 Jan 2014   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

No, that did not help.
I DO have the special cable connected between MB and Video card, it is right from HP.
It cant plug any other way.
This card has 2 DVI ports. So I have a DVI to HDMI adapter.

DVI-I Dual link 24+5 Male to HDMI Standard Female Adapter

I tried 3 different HDMI cables.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jan 2014   #5

Windows 7 Pro x64 (1), Win7 Pro X64 / WinXP Pro x86 on (2)
 
 

Absolutely NEVER. A DVI cable is for video only. There is NO AUDIO carried on a DVI cable.

Only HDMI cables (and Displayport cables) carry both audio and video, assuming they started at the video card end from a true HDMI or Displayport connector.

Furthermore, using a DVI-to-HDMI adapter or cable still will not provide audio at the HDMI end. There is simply NO AUDIO delivered out from the DVI connector on the video card. DVI connectors on video cards only provide video. You are simply going to get video-only out at the HDMI end of the DVI-to-HDMI transport.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2014   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dsperber View Post
Absolutely NEVER. A DVI cable is for video only. There is NO AUDIO carried on a DVI cable.

Only HDMI cables (and Displayport cables) carry both audio and video, assuming they started at the video card end from a true HDMI or Displayport connector.

Furthermore, using a DVI-to-HDMI adapter or cable still will not provide audio at the HDMI end. There is simply NO AUDIO delivered out from the DVI connector on the video card. DVI connectors on video cards only provide video. You are simply going to get video-only out at the HDMI end of the DVI-to-HDMI transport.
The various links show you get sound out of a dvi connection to hdmi converter.
So how can you say that?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2014   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dsperber View Post
Absolutely NEVER. A DVI cable is for video only. There is NO AUDIO carried on a DVI cable.

Only HDMI cables (and Displayport cables) carry both audio and video, assuming they started at the video card end from a true HDMI or Displayport connector.

Furthermore, using a DVI-to-HDMI adapter or cable still will not provide audio at the HDMI end. There is simply NO AUDIO delivered out from the DVI connector on the video card. DVI connectors on video cards only provide video. You are simply going to get video-only out at the HDMI end of the DVI-to-HDMI transport.
The various links show you get sound out of a dvi connection to hdmi converter.
So how can you say that?
That is a 2 wire set up HDMI does both with one line DVI does not also you are using Digital input that needs a direct line unless the Monitor in question has speakers already your set up is wrong

HDMI cable only will do the job
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2014   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

oh boy.

DVI carries video and CAN carry audio.
for example here regarding ATI
How to Carry Audio Over DVI Interfaces - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com
Quote:
An example of one of the devices is the Radeon HD 4250. The Radeon HD 4250 is an integrated graphics processor that is usually built into AMD 880 motherboards. There are a few of these that have HDMI interfaces available, but a large number of these motherboards have only the DVI interface.

However, there are DVI-to-HDMI adapters that will convert the DVI to an HDMI interface. That means you will be able to use an HDMI cord from the DVI interface that should also deliver sound. To make this installation as smooth as possible it is recommended that you get a DVI to HDMI adapter that is made by ATI.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2014   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

For Nvidia
http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answe...2562/related/1
Quote:
If I am using a DVI-to-HDMI cable will audio be transmitted over this cable to the 3D TV?
Answer ID 2562 | Published 03/19/2010 12:27 PM | Updated 10/21/2010 12:50 PM
If I am using a DVI-to-HDMI cable to connect from by GPU to my TV, will audio be transmitted over this cable to the 3D TV?
Quote:
The audio can be carried over DVI to HDMI cable depending on the graphics card. For newer GPUs, you just need to set the HDMI audio device in the Windows Sound control panel. Older GPUs need to use a digital audio S/PDIF cable to connect from the PC to the graphics board's on board S/PDIF connector. Please contact your graphics board manufacturer if you have questions on supporting HDMI audio over DVI.
I opened a tech support with Nvidia. They told me that my gtx260 can carry audio over the DVI port.

They told me for some unknown reason, my internal spdif cable to gtx260 sound port made into the card or my dvi to hdmi adapter has some problem preventing this from working like it is DESIGNED to work carrying the audio.

I may decide to test this sound idea again using a liveusb with ubuntu linux.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2014   #10

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
For Nvidia
If I am using a DVI-to-HDMI cable will audio be transmitted over this cable to the 3D TV?
Quote:
If I am using a DVI-to-HDMI cable will audio be transmitted over this cable to the 3D TV?
Answer ID 2562 | Published 03/19/2010 12:27 PM | Updated 10/21/2010 12:50 PM
If I am using a DVI-to-HDMI cable to connect from by GPU to my TV, will audio be transmitted over this cable to the 3D TV?
Quote:
The audio can be carried over DVI to HDMI cable depending on the graphics card. For newer GPUs, you just need to set the HDMI audio device in the Windows Sound control panel. Older GPUs need to use a digital audio S/PDIF cable to connect from the PC to the graphics board's on board S/PDIF connector. Please contact your graphics board manufacturer if you have questions on supporting HDMI audio over DVI.
I opened a tech support with Nvidia. They told me that my gtx260 can carry audio over the DVI port.

They told me for some unknown reason, my internal spdif cable to gtx260 sound port made into the card or my dvi to hdmi adapter has some problem preventing this from working like it is DESIGNED to work carrying the audio.

I may decide to test this sound idea again using a liveusb with ubuntu linux.
I understand where you are going with this but i can tell you in the screen shot it should show your GPU as the Default sound that is why it isn't working


Attached Images
  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 No HDMI audio shows in the panel?




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33