Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: No Sound Recorder in Windows 7 Home Premium!

01 Nov 2009   #1

Windows 7
 
 
No Sound Recorder in Windows 7 Home Premium!

After spending about 2 fruitless hours trying to find out why my Windows 7 Home Premium was telling me I did not have an sudio device in my system and could not therefore record sounds, I found this in a Vista forum. It seems that the sound recorder is disabled in Windows 7 and the information needed to enable it is hidden!

Read here:
quote
But, if you try the same trick with Windows Vista, you won't see an option for Wave Out Mix. It's not that the option's been left out of Vista, Microsoft just decided to hide it. Media Center Show podcast producer Ian Dixon has the instructions for enabling Wave Out recording:
Select sound from the control panel.
Select the recording tab.
Right click on the background of the tab and choose "show disabled devices."
Right click on Wave Out Mix and click enable.
Now it should work the same way as Wave Out Mix in Windows XP, allowing you to record any sound your computer makes
unquote

Seems a bit daft to me. I was assuming that my sound card had packed up.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Nov 2009   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Hi

Have installed the Windows 7 Drivers & software for your sound card.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Nov 2009   #3

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
Hi

Have installed the Windows 7 Drivers & software for your sound card.
Yes I have, but the point was that Microsoft have turned off the Sound Recorder so if someone wants to use it they have follow the procedure in my post to enable it. I did that and now Sound Recorder works. Also, as I said, Win 7 told me that I did not have an audio device on my system!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


01 Nov 2009   #4

Windows XP Pro and Windows7
 
 

Not so.............why do I say that?
Reason I say that is because if you click the start menu and then All Programs, Accessories, Sound Recorder is there in the list.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Nov 2009   #5

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by musicman53 View Post
Not so.............why do I say that?
Reason I say that is because if you click the start menu and then All Programs, Accessories, Sound Recorder is there in the list.
OK. Can you then go on to use Sound Recorder? Because, like I said., I kept getting a message telling me that I did not have an audio device on my system when I clicked on it, so yes, Accessories said it was there but for me anyway, it did not work as it was disabled.
What I got when I started it was a fairly large empty box under a tab marked recording, with some options along the top of the box. I needed to right click in the empty box, I can't remember the exact message now, but I was invited to enable recording which I did.
If you checkout this link :How to enable Wave Out recording in Vista it will explain all.

I should have given you the link before rather than pasting the relevant bit!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Nov 2009   #6

Windows 7
 
 
How to get xp sound recorder in Windows 7

I saw a few posts regarding the subject and thought I would register to share how I was able to get it working.

First, find an available XP machine and copy the file sndrec32.exe which is located in %SystemRoot%\system32. Once copied, put the file on your Windows 7 machine and execute...should work just fine. I have been using it for a few months now without any issues.

Also, you can do the same with Hyperterminal (as Windows 7 does not have one)...just copy the files htrn_jis.dll, hypertrm.dll and hypertrm.exe to a folder on your Windows 7 machine and execute hypertrm.exe. Again, I have been using this for a few months now without issues.

Have a good one.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Feb 2011   #7

W7 HE
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bertie11 View Post
After spending about 2 fruitless hours trying to find out why my Windows 7 Home Premium was telling me I did not have an sudio device in my system and could not therefore record sounds, I found this in a Vista forum. It seems that the sound recorder is disabled in Windows 7 and the information needed to enable it is hidden!

Read here:
quote
But, if you try the same trick with Windows Vista, you won't see an option for Wave Out Mix. It's not that the option's been left out of Vista, Microsoft just decided to hide it. Media Center Show podcast producer Ian Dixon has the instructions for enabling Wave Out recording:
Select sound from the control panel.
Select the recording tab.
Right click on the background of the tab and choose "show disabled devices."
Right click on Wave Out Mix and click enable.
Now it should work the same way as Wave Out Mix in Windows XP, allowing you to record any sound your computer makes
unquote

Seems a bit daft to me. I was assuming that my sound card had packed up.
Thanks Bertie

I had the same problem as you but this sorted it


.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 No Sound Recorder in Windows 7 Home Premium!




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33