Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: 2 Defaults?

12 Dec 2009   #1
Rizolicious

Win 7
 
 
2 Defaults?

is there a way to have both my headphones and my speakers set to default? instead of selecting which one i want.

thanks.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 Dec 2009   #2
Offshore

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (32-Bit)
 
 

Hello, Rizolicious.

Yes, there is a way to have both your headphones and speakers as the default devices. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's the original default, so I think it should be a fairly quick fix.

If you navigate to your toolbar at the bottom of your screen, you should find a 'volume' icon. Right click it and select 'Playback devices'. You should get a window that looks a little like this.



If the 'Speakers / Headphones' option isn't set to default, right click it and select 'Set as Default Deivce'. If it doesn't appear altogether, then we've got another issue to deal with.

Give this a go and let me know how you're getting along. If it doesn't work, post so in this thread and we'll take it from there. All the best.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Dec 2009   #3
Rizolicious

Win 7
 
 

when i right click the headphones and set that as default device, the music will only play from the headphones and not the speakers,

the speakers then changes to 'default communications device'.

im trying to find a way to have sound playing from both the speakers and the headphones at the same time, but can't set 2 defaults.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Dec 2009   #4
Offshore

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (32-Bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Rizolicious View Post
when i right click the headphones and set that as default device, the music will only play from the headphones and not the speakers,

the speakers then changes to 'default communications device'.

im trying to find a way to have sound playing from both the speakers and the headphones at the same time, but can't set 2 defaults.
How many jacks do you have for output devices? I highly doubt that you'll be able to run sound through your speakers and through your headphones at the same time.

That is what you're asking, right? You want to be able to play sound through your speakers and headphones simultaneously?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Dec 2009   #5
lunash

win7
 
 

I happened to find the solutions.

  1. Open Sound panel
  2. Select Speakers as the default playback device
  3. Go to the "Recording" tab
  4. Right click and enable "Show Disabled Devices"
  5. A recording device called "Wave Out Mix", "Mono Mix" or "Stereo Mix" (this was my case) should appear
  6. Right click on the new device and click "Enable"
  7. Right click on the new device and click "Set as Default Device"
  8. Double click on the new device to open the Properties window
  9. Go to the "Listen" tab
  10. Click on the "Listen to this device" checkbox
  11. Select your speakers/headphones from the "Playback through this device" list

This is kind of a way to copy the sound to another device, but the only drawback is that you cannot use microphone at the same time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Dec 2009   #6
Rizolicious

Win 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Rizolicious View Post
when i right click the headphones and set that as default device, the music will only play from the headphones and not the speakers,

the speakers then changes to 'default communications device'.

im trying to find a way to have sound playing from both the speakers and the headphones at the same time, but can't set 2 defaults.
How many jacks do you have for output devices? I highly doubt that you'll be able to run sound through your speakers and through your headphones at the same time.

That is what you're asking, right? You want to be able to play sound through your speakers and headphones simultaneously?

yes that is what i want. i was able to do it when i had windows xp installed, but since i installed my windows 7, i am unable to do this? there is jacks on the back of the desktop (speakers) and then at the front also (headphones)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Dec 2009   #7
Rizolicious

Win 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lunash View Post
I happened to find the solutions.

  1. Open Sound panel
  2. Select Speakers as the default playback device
  3. Go to the "Recording" tab
  4. Right click and enable "Show Disabled Devices"
  5. A recording device called "Wave Out Mix", "Mono Mix" or "Stereo Mix" (this was my case) should appear
  6. Right click on the new device and click "Enable"
  7. Right click on the new device and click "Set as Default Device"
  8. Double click on the new device to open the Properties window
  9. Go to the "Listen" tab
  10. Click on the "Listen to this device" checkbox
  11. Select your speakers/headphones from the "Playback through this device" list

This is kind of a way to copy the sound to another device, but the only drawback is that you cannot use microphone at the same time.
when i do 'show disabled devices' i only havE:

microphone (no plugged in)
microphone (default device)
line in (not plugged in)
microphone (webcam)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Dec 2009   #8
lunash

win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Rizolicious View Post

when i do 'show disabled devices' i only havE:

microphone (no plugged in)
microphone (default device)
line in (not plugged in)
microphone (webcam)
did u choose "separate all input jacks as independent input devices" in your driver control panel?( it can be found in the "device advanced settings")
if u have done that there should be several line in devices and the "Stereo Mix" too
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Feb 2010   #9
ding8503

Windows 7 Ult. 64 bit
 
 

OffShore thanks for info; it helped me out a lot. I did find the how to get same result with your mic still working. Please don't mind me copying part of your post.

1. Open Sound panel
2. Select Speakers as the default playback device
3. Go to the "Recording" tab
4. Double click on the Mic (front if you use front, back if you use back) to open the Properties window
5. Go to the "Listen" tab
6. Click on the "Listen to this device" checkbox
7. Select your speakers/headphones from the "Playback through this device" list (select speakers if you’re output is defaulted to headphones and headphones if you’re speakers are your default output.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jun 2014   #10
ummumm

Wind7 64
 
 

I got how to do it WITHOUT downloads! Ok, first, right click on the volume controller in your bottom right. Then click recording devices. Click "what u hear" then properties. Go to listen. Click "Listen to this device". Then click the thing under "Playback through this device" and select the other speaker you want to play. For me, it was the speaker built into my screen. CAUTION! Doing it this way might make it go instead of bum bum bum in a song, you might hear bumm bumm bumm.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 2 Defaults?




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Can any one tell me the defaults of this key in registry
I was removing leftover registry entries of NCH Software and accidentally deleted this key string of .gif file type. After this deletion I'm unable to set .gif as desktop background. I know that even I set a .gif as background, there'll be no motion but we can use a gif as a background like we use...
Performance & Maintenance
IE9 program defaults
How do I add NOTEPAD to thr drop down list, so that I can select it as my HTML editor?? Thanks.
Browsers & Mail
Folder Defaults
Each time I think have have set folder display defaults, I seem to miss. I want to display details, with all extensions visible. Suggestions, please?:confused:
Customization
Defaults to Stereo
Hi all. We were having a sound discussion over at our iRacing forums about sampling rates. This is a little issue I ran into when trying to get my surround setup running. Upon Boot up and even a reboot my system returns the sounds to the default stereo 2 speaker settings. I go into the control...
Sound & Audio
Email defaults
I can't figure out how to assign the default mailto: to my email progam. I use Pegasus for my emails, have since 1994 & now using the current version. I've always been able to use the commands in Pegasus to allow me to use pegasus as the default email program but Windows 7 does not recgonize...
Browsers & Mail
how to set defaults
i would like to set a default VIEW for different types of files when i open a folder in windows explorer. the view i want is LIST. i know i can change a folders view and all sub folders using the properties and customization tab in a folder BUT, the view LIST never appears. it is always...
Customization

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App