Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: No Sound after XP to Windows 7 Upgrade


24 Dec 2009   #1

Windows 7
 
 
No Sound after XP to Windows 7 Upgrade

Alright, so here's my problem.

I decided to upgrade to Windows 7 after using XP for what seemed like forever. I picked up a copy only to find out that I couldn't simply upgrade, rather I had to do a custom install. So I transferred my files to an external hard drive and proceeded to install 7. Everything went smoothly, I transferred over my original files and things were great. Until I realized my sound wasn't working.

I looked up solutions to my problem, most pointed towards downloading Realtek's new Windows 7 driver. I followed some guides I found in my searches but after checking and rechecking my device manager, I saw that my sound driver wasn't updating.

Realizing my efforts weren't enough, I gave up and decided to revert to XP. I popped in my XP installation disc and rebooted. However, another issue came up. When choosing which partition to install the OS onto, my hard drive doesn't show up.

So now I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I'd much rather solve my sound issue, as I'm eager to try out Windows 7. But if that doesn't work out, I'll settle for a downgrade to XP.

I'm getting desperate. I'll take any help I can get. If you need any of my hardware info, just ask.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Dec 2009   #2

Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit / XP Home sp3
 
 

Welcome to seven forums you have sigmatel audio High definition with Vista drivers Avalible http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...7G&SelectOS=28 You can try and install them in compatibility mode. Compatibility Mode Hope this will help . Fabe
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2009   #3

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Crsteady View Post
Alright, so here's my problem.

I decided to upgrade to Windows 7 after using XP for what seemed like forever. I picked up a copy only to find out that I couldn't simply upgrade, rather I had to do a custom install. So I transferred my files to an external hard drive and proceeded to install 7. Everything went smoothly, I transferred over my original files and things were great. Until I realized my sound wasn't working.

I looked up solutions to my problem, most pointed towards downloading Realtek's new Windows 7 driver. I followed some guides I found in my searches but after checking and rechecking my device manager, I saw that my sound driver wasn't updating.

Realizing my efforts weren't enough, I gave up and decided to revert to XP. I popped in my XP installation disc and rebooted. However, another issue came up. When choosing which partition to install the OS onto, my hard drive doesn't show up.

So now I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I'd much rather solve my sound issue, as I'm eager to try out Windows 7. But if that doesn't work out, I'll settle for a downgrade to XP.

I'm getting desperate. I'll take any help I can get. If you need any of my hardware info, just ask.
Hi

Check out thefade post in this thread:

my msi motherbord drivers are not supported
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


24 Dec 2009   #4

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by thefabe View Post
Welcome to seven forums you have sigmatel audio High definition with Vista drivers Avalible Sony eSupport - VGC-RB57G - Software Updates & Drivers You can try and install them in compatibility mode. Compatibility Mode Hope this will help . Fabe
I had tried that driver before, and I just did again to make sure. Both times I received this error. "This update is not intended for use with your computer model". I ran it under administrator in compatibility for Windows Vista (Service Pack 2).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2009   #5

Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit / XP Home sp3
 
 

Ok lets try this. Go to device manager>sound device>properties>details tab>drop down menu>hardware id. Copy and Paste the id string. And we'll see if we can find a driver fo you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2009   #6

64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Check in Audio Properties and make sure that you have selected speakers for your default playback device..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2009   #7

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by thefabe View Post
Ok lets try this. Go to device manager>sound device>properties>details tab>drop down menu>hardware id. Copy and Paste the id string. And we'll see if we can find a driver fo you.
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7661&SUBSYS_00000100&REV_1042
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7661&SUBSYS_00000100

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tews View Post
Check in Audio Properties and make sure that you have selected speakers for your default playback device..
In my playback menu, the field is empty. There's simply a note that says "No audio devices are installed."
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2009   #8

64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Here is the driver for your Sony laptop -=> download
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2009   #9

Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit / XP Home sp3
 
 

Well it's defenitly Sigmatel, But in windows update cataloge it lists it as Realtek AC97 Audio controller. You can try the second from the bottom date 2/15.2008 version 6.10.5866.0 Still would have to use compatibility mode. Vista.W.U.C. click on add> then view basket>choose where to download it and download it. If this doesn't work we can try some of the Realtek drivers. Microsoft Update Catalog
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2009   #10

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tews View Post
Here is the driver for your Sony laptop -=> download
Went to the site but the download link it provided 404'd. Quick google search gave me a working download. Sadly I got this same error. "This update is not intended for use with your computer model."

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by thefabe View Post
Well it's defenitly Sigmatel, But in windows update cataloge it lists it as Realtek AC97 Audio controller. You can try the second from the bottom date 2/15.2008 version 6.10.5866.0 Still would have to use compatibility mode. Vista. click on add> then view basket>choose where to download it and download it. If this doesn't work we can try some of the Realtek drivers. Microsoft Update Catalog
Well the installation went fine, but I'm not sure it did much. Checked device manager, it doesn't look like it updated the driver. Still no sound.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 No Sound after XP to Windows 7 Upgrade




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: No Sound after XP to Windows 7 Upgrade
Thread Forum
Solved No Sound after XP to Windows 7 Upgrade Sound & Audio
Solved Windows 7 upgrade,Now sound card not working Sound & Audio
No sound after RAM upgrade - Windows 7 64-Bit Sound & Audio
Dell 8300 Windows Upgrade - Lost Sound Sound & Audio
windows 7-64bit upgrade no sound Sound & Audio
No Sound After RAM Upgrade Sound & Audio
No Sound Windows 7 upgrade from Vista Sound & Audio

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33