Thanks for the link. I had already installed Daniel_K's support pack for my Audigy and it worked for awhile, but I am tired of messing with it.
Anyway, as you may know Danial has given up on updating/fixing what Creative will not, so the 3.6 pack is his last. I read (but don't know if it's true) that Creative was giving him a hard time because if he makes their old stuff work, then they can sell as many new ones.
Anyway, I got my RealTek working again, but it keeps stopping. There was some leftover Creative stuff which I removed, I did a Win 7 repair install, I uninstalled the RealTek in device manager and also the software/driver
and reinstalled. I had removed the speakers, and had manage audio devices show disabled and disconnected devices. I am not show which of these got it working again - I guess all of them together got it working for awhile. This is very frustrating.
My speakers show as not connected. I connected both a a coax and an SPDIF cable. I do not get any sound out of the front panel headphone jack, but when I plug them into the rear, the auto-sensing RealTek program detects the insertion and asks what was connected. This seems to get things working again as I can hear through the headphones and when I unplug them, I then get sound through my Logitech speaker system.