Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Stutttering and Temporary Freezes


22 Jan 2010   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 
Stutttering and Temporary Freezes

Hello everyone,

I installed Windows 7 64 bit on my system but the music/sounds in games would "Stutter" and games would freeze for a second or two then start working again. This would all happen roughly every 10-15 seconds. I went back to Windows XP 32 bit and everything is working fine. Anyone know what could be wrong?

The games I am playing are Dirt2 and LOTRO.

A link to my system specs are on the lower left there...

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Jan 2010   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

First remove the sound card, enable onboard sound, clean install with a fresh format of 7, then install all your drivers with the guide in my sig starting with chipset.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2010   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

This motherboard doesn't have onboard sound however it does come with a x-fi sound card with a few less features than the x-fi sound card I am currently using. Should I try the x-fi that came with the motherboard? Will it make a difference?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


22 Jan 2010   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

Most should have onboard, otherwise try what came with it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jan 2010   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

I put the sound card in a different pcie slot and there was an improvement but the performance of the games are still not as good as in XP. The sound doesn't "stutter" anymore but the games still freezes for about 1/2 a second every 10 seconds or so, I don't know what is causing it. I guess I will wait until SP1 and see if that makes a difference.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jan 2010   #6

win7 ultimate / virtual box
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JC99 View Post
I put the sound card in a different pcie slot and there was an improvement but the performance of the games are still not as good as in XP. The sound doesn't "stutter" anymore but the games still freezes for about 1/2 a second every 10 seconds or so, I don't know what is causing it. I guess I will wait until SP1 and see if that makes a difference.
with your spec there should be no stuttering in games, maybe take out the soundcard and run your game , if the stutterings gone then you will know what needs to be changed or updated with the latest drivers ..........
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Feb 2010   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

I guess I should update how I fixed this if others are having the same problem.

I put the sound card and video card in different slots. Then I reinstalled Windows 7 64 bit. Then I went into the Nvidia control panel and selected "Do not use multi-GPU mode". After I did that all my games worked fine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Feb 2010   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JC99 View Post
I guess I should update how I fixed this if others are having the same problem.

I went into the Nvidia control panel and selected "Do not use multi-GPU mode". After I did that all my games worked fine.
Wouldn't that affect the performance of your 295? Since it is a dual-GPU card.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Feb 2010   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frostmourne View Post
Wouldn't that affect the performance of your 295? Since it is a dual-GPU card.
The description says "All GPU's will run independently" so I assume they are both working, just independently of eachother... ...please correct me if I am wrong.

Update: I have done some reading and you are probably right but I have no choice. If I enable the multi GPU setting my games don't work properly. I don't know why.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Feb 2010   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JC99 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frostmourne View Post
Wouldn't that affect the performance of your 295? Since it is a dual-GPU card.
The description says "All GPU's will run independently" so I assume they are both working, just independently of eachother... ...please correct me if I am wrong.

Update: I have done some reading and you are probably right but I have no choice. If I enable the multi GPU setting my games don't work properly. I don't know why.
I would now make adjustments for each game in Nvidia's control panel, so for game X enable the setting, leaving it disabled for others. Does your system have enough cooling? Dust free? PSU have enough 12V's on the rails? Voltages are not sagging? Stable power? Wattage? If modular, cables in properly?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Stutttering and Temporary Freezes




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Stutttering and Temporary Freezes
Thread Forum
Random Temporary Freezes Gaming
Random Temporary Freezes Performance & Maintenance
Solved Temporary files Performance & Maintenance
Audio-video Sputtering and Temporary Freezes Sound & Audio
Temporary profile BSOD Help and Support
How to set temporary date General Discussion
Temporary Profile? BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:20 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33