Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: No MIDI Input


27 Feb 2010   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 
No MIDI Input

Midi in doesn't work here. I've read that people have been talking about midi out but what about midi in? None of them work. And I can't find how to change it via registry. Don't even know what that is.
Sorry to make another topic but I am a musician and need my keyboard to send information in so I can make music.

The midi mapper etc. is only for midi out.

Thanks all


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Feb 2010   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Your System Specs always helps.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2010   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

I didn't post it because it's irrelevant. It was working in Windows Xp and now it doesn't. The problem is windows 7, and I need help to fix it because I need to choose my MIDI keyboard from device setup...but devce setup for midi was completely removed from windows 7 so I need to know how to do it another way.

This is an issue about not being able at all to pick your midi source.

I was wondering if you could help me with that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


27 Feb 2010   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AJay View Post
I didn't post it because it's irrelevant. It was working in Windows Xp and now it doesn't. The problem is windows 7, and I need help to fix it because I need to choose my MIDI keyboard from device setup...but devce setup for midi was completely removed from windows 7 so I need to know how to do it another way.

This is an issue about not being able at all to pick your midi source.

I was wondering if you could help me with that.
Don't know what kind of a MIDI connection... there are MIDI interfaces and also keyboards with built in USB MIDI interface. Are you using the keyboard with a music program? If so, which one.

We actually do need more info... It's possible that the MIDI ports are located in a different spot, Windows 7 is not XP.

List your keyboard make & model and exactly how you used it in XP.

And take a moment to fill out your system specs... it all helps!

Ap

p.s. Look at my specs.. I have a large MIDI setup
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Feb 2010   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Aphelion View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AJay View Post
I didn't post it because it's irrelevant. It was working in Windows Xp and now it doesn't. The problem is windows 7, and I need help to fix it because I need to choose my MIDI keyboard from device setup...but devce setup for midi was completely removed from windows 7 so I need to know how to do it another way.

This is an issue about not being able at all to pick your midi source.

I was wondering if you could help me with that.
Don't know what kind of a MIDI connection... there are MIDI interfaces and also keyboards with built in USB MIDI interface. Are you using the keyboard with a music program? If so, which one.

We actually do need more info... It's possible that the MIDI ports are located in a different spot, Windows 7 is not XP.

List your keyboard make & model and exactly how you used it in XP.

And take a moment to fill out your system specs... it all helps!

Ap

p.s. Look at my specs.. I have a large MIDI setup
Ok sorry.

Specs filled out.
I have always been using a stage piano with a simple MIDI in/out, hooked up directly to the maya extension card. I never did anything before,it always just worked. Haven't hooked anything up differently,only changed OS.

I haven't tried it in cubase yet, only in finale,sibelius and try-sound.com. And I don't have anything extra control panel for audio where you can tweak.

That's the add-on card.
http://www.audiotrak.net/products/miodio/
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Feb 2010   #6

Windows 7, 64 bit Home SP1, Win 8.1.1 Pro 64 bit
 
 

I have a home recording studio with Sonar and have several MIDI I/O's. Some are via USB connections such as my Edirol PCR500 MIDI keyboard and some are through my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 firewire connected audio and MIDI I/O recording device.

With the Edirol PCR 500 MIDI keyboard, I had to install drivers before it was recognized.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Feb 2010   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fireberd View Post
I have a home recording studio with Sonar and have several MIDI I/O's. Some are via USB connections such as my Edirol PCR500 MIDI keyboard and some are through my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 firewire connected audio and MIDI I/O recording device.

With the Edirol PCR 500 MIDI keyboard, I had to install drivers before it was recognized.
Yes I thought of that and went to get the box while I called myself stupid:P But it said there's no need for drivers. And I remember now that I never installed drivers for the add on card. It's just plug and play.

This has something to do with windows 7. It doesn't automatically pick your midi device,and the default settings differs from XP. And you can change the midi in out settings in something people call registry....Have no idea what they mean.

From another forum:
"I am an active musician who has recently made the switch from XP to Windows 7, skipping Vista. I connected my Edirol UM-1, and the drivers installed successfully. The interface works fine within my DAW software, but I also like to have WMP use the UM-1 as the default MIDI output device. When I went to the control panel to make that selection, I discovered that the MIDI device section was missing completely.

There are several threads on this topic in the Vista forums, but I haven't found much discussion about this topic in the Windows 7 forum. The fact that this problem remains from Vista to Windows 7 does not give me much hope that a solution will come from Microsoft.

My questions: Is there a solution to this problem that doesn't involve registry hacks or questionable downloads? And/or has anyone had any success in Windows 7 using registry hacks or software patches."

Yet another forum:
"Midi Output and Windows 7

Being a professional musician/music teacher I found vista to be frustrating with midi driver output selection.
I originally fixed this with a registry hack to midimapper I found on the net.
Later I addressed this problem with midi yoke and Vista midipicker.
Windows 7 doesn't seem to handle midi output selection at all.
I have tried midi yoke and vista midi picker with no success.
This seems to be a problem with VanBasco's midi player, Sibelius, Datasonics' Music Master and Cakewalk sonar 8.
XP had the best solution with a midi device selector in the control panel, but Vista took this away and windows 7 is much the same but worse.

I am sure these bungles by Microsoft have forced many musicians onto macs.

Using dxi synths is all very well for programs that can use these plugins but for software without plugin support it is a nightmare.

Vista was a big consumer of system recources; windows 7 is much better here, but there is no point having programs running in the background that are not being used, just to make their startup faster.
If I can't find a solution to my midi woes soon, I will have to revert to XP or at worst Vista"
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Feb 2010   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AJay View Post
Yes I thought of that and went to get the box while I called myself stupid:P But it said there's no need for drivers. And I remember now that I never installed drivers for the add on card. It's just plug and play.

This has something to do with windows 7. It doesn't automatically pick your midi device,and the default settings differs from XP. And you can change the midi in out settings in something people call registry....Have no idea what they mean.

It looks at one time you did install a driver.
The driver was part of another package.


(From the PDF Manual)

MI/ODI/O driver already included in EWDM driver of Waveterminal 192
series. Therefore, by the installation of the driver of Waveterminal 192
series, you can use MI/ODI/O right away.
Just hook it up to your Waveterminal 192 card like a below picture and
you're ready to go!

Here's a link to the manual.

http://download.audiotrak.net/?w=at&p=21&g=4&l=en

Ap


My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Feb 2010   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Yes a driver is installed but not for the add-on card itself. You're good to go as soon as you install the maya 44 drivers,and plug the add-on on the maya pci. No need for anything extra.
This clearly seems to be something else than the installation. This isn't just me. Others have done it right aslo, it just doen't work in Windows 7.

No midi in, no midi out...what to do?;P

No one knows anything about this registry hack?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Feb 2010   #10

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AJay View Post
Yes a driver is installed but not for the add-on card itself. You're good to go as soon as you install the maya 44 drivers,and plug the add-on on the maya pci. No need for anything extra.
This clearly seems to be something else than the installation. This isn't just me. Others have done it right aslo, it just doen't work in Windows 7.

No midi in, no midi out...what to do?;P

No one knows anything about this registry hack?

Look here:

Putzlowitsch's Vista MIDI Mapper Control Panel - The Sierra Help Pages

and here...

Vista MIDI Tool • benryves.com


These may be what you're looking for, I know they're for Vista but probably worth a try (if you haven't tried them already.

However, if the MIDI driver included with the Maya install is not working in Windows 7 you still won't see anything. Your next option would be to purchase an inexpensive USB MIDI interface.

Ap
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 No MIDI Input




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33