Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Multiple Default Sound Cards


05 Apr 2010   #1

Windows 7
 
 
Multiple Default Sound Cards

Hi

Something I have always been wondering about and never been able to get right is having more than one default sound playback device.

As an example, on my media center I have HDMI with video and audio going to the LCD, lets say I also want audio from the onboard sound card to go to another sound system while the HDMI audio is going to the TV. How would I get that right?

Is there some sort of splitter audio driver that you can set as default and then set it to go to multiple devices?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Apr 2010   #2

W7 Ult. x64 | OS X
 
 

I've never seen an audio splitter driver. I'd say that your best bet is to split the audio outside of your computer via a hardware splitter. If you're using HDMI you're most likely going to have to find some sort of HDMI splitter and then a HDMI to 3.5mm jack converter.

Cables Unlimited 12-Inch Premium HDMI Cable Splitter at TigerDirect.com

I can't seem to find an HDMI to Audio converter.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Apr 2010   #3

Windows 7
 
 
Looking for Software Splitter

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by notsograymatter View Post
I've never seen an audio splitter driver. I'd say that your best bet is to split the audio outside of your computer via a hardware splitter. If you're using HDMI you're most likely going to have to find some sort of HDMI splitter and then a HDMI to 3.5mm jack converter.
Thanks, I have thought about that, but there must be some type of audio splitter, I cant be the first person trying to do this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


05 Apr 2010   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gmansa View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by notsograymatter View Post
I've never seen an audio splitter driver. I'd say that your best bet is to split the audio outside of your computer via a hardware splitter. If you're using HDMI you're most likely going to have to find some sort of HDMI splitter and then a HDMI to 3.5mm jack converter.
Thanks, I have thought about that, but there must be some type of audio splitter, I cant be the first person trying to do this.

I'm probably reading this wrong but....

Instead of going hardware, why not use a software player (Like Winamp) that allows you to choose the output audio device driver.

I can set Winamp to play music from my M-Audio Audiophile, while Media Player plays a DVD with audio going out the default Realtek deivce.

Ap
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Apr 2010   #5

W7 Ult. x64 | OS X
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Aphelion View Post
I'm probably reading this wrong but....

Instead of going hardware, why not use a software player (Like Winamp) that allows you to choose the output audio device driver.

I can set Winamp to play music from my M-Audio Audiophile, while Media Player plays a DVD with audio going out the default Realtek deivce.

Ap
That would work if Winamp could play whatever it is he's playing on his screens, however I think he wants all sounds to run this way, so Winamp wouldn't really work would it?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Apr 2010   #6

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Aphelion View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gmansa View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by notsograymatter View Post
I've never seen an audio splitter driver. I'd say that your best bet is to split the audio outside of your computer via a hardware splitter. If you're using HDMI you're most likely going to have to find some sort of HDMI splitter and then a HDMI to 3.5mm jack converter.
Thanks, I have thought about that, but there must be some type of audio splitter, I cant be the first person trying to do this.

I'm probably reading this wrong but....

Instead of going hardware, why not use a software player (Like Winamp) that allows you to choose the output audio device driver.

I can set Winamp to play music from my M-Audio Audiophile, while Media Player plays a DVD with audio going out the default Realtek deivce.

Ap
Nope, you were reading it correct, I would mostly like to use this in Media Center but the reason I want to set this in Windows is so that it works like that in all applications. And I would like Media Center (or whatever other app) to play to more than one sound card at the same time. I cannot understand why it seems like I'm the first person trying to do this and why it's so hard. There has to be some sort of software based splitter out there...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Apr 2010   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by notsograymatter View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Aphelion View Post
I'm probably reading this wrong but....

Instead of going hardware, why not use a software player (Like Winamp) that allows you to choose the output audio device driver.

I can set Winamp to play music from my M-Audio Audiophile, while Media Player plays a DVD with audio going out the default Realtek deivce.

Ap
That would work if Winamp could play whatever it is he's playing on his screens, however I think he wants all sounds to run this way, so Winamp wouldn't really work would it?
Well, probably not... it can be set as the default player but only by file extension... ie; mp3, wav, aif.....etc.

Ap
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Multiple Default Sound Cards




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:50 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33