Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Complaints about WMP12 and Win 7

20 Apr 2010   #1

Win 7
 
 
Complaints about WMP12 and Win 7

When Microsoft started the "simpler" ad blitz for Win 7, they should have just said more like a Mac, don't think, don't try to configure anything, just use what we give you.

My complaints have to do with music files.

WMP12 - no Advanced Tag Editor.

Windows Explorer - can no longer change tagging via Properties in the album files.

Windows Explorer- album art files imported with their music onto a hard drive for this Win 7 computer do not show up. I was told to change the View config to Show Hidden Files. I did that, now some show up, but only some.

This is very poor. If I wanted a Mac, I would buy a Mac.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 Apr 2010   #2

W7 Ult. x64 | OS X
 
 

You could always switch to a new media player such as VLC and switch to a different shell.

Windows shell replacement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Apr 2010   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mitrich View Post

My complaints have to do with music files.
WMP12 - no Advanced Tag Editor.

Windows Explorer - can no longer change tagging via Properties in the album files.
I can still change tagging in Win Explorer, tight click, select the "Details" tab, scroll down to Content.

Ap
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


20 Apr 2010   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mitrich View Post
When Microsoft started the "simpler" ad blitz for Win 7, they should have just said more like a Mac, don't think, don't try to configure anything, just use what we give you.

My complaints have to do with music files.

WMP12 - no Advanced Tag Editor.

Windows Explorer - can no longer change tagging via Properties in the album files.

Windows Explorer- album art files imported with their music onto a hard drive for this Win 7 computer do not show up. I was told to change the View config to Show Hidden Files. I did that, now some show up, but only some.

This is very poor. If I wanted a Mac, I would buy a Mac.
Edit tags in place in WMP12:
Complaints about WMP12 and Win 7-wmp12.png

Edit tags in details pane in Explorer:
Complaints about WMP12 and Win 7-explorer.png

Album art should be embedded in the music files for best results. Use WMP12 or Mp3tag - the universal Tag Editor (ID3v2, MP4, OGG, FLAC, ...) to do this. Embedded art is portable since it's not dependent on cover.jpg or folder.jpg or whatever because it's actually IN each MP3 file. When you copy the music file to another folder, computer or even a device the art is sure to go with it even if the whole album folder does not. Here's how:
Complaints about WMP12 and Win 7-art.png

What's really cool is that WMP12 will add that art to each of the tags of each of the file associates with the album if you do it as I've shown you. MP3Tag will take all your cover.jpg or whatever you use and embed them en masse if you don't want to drag and drop. If for some strange reason you're against embedding, just make sure the album art file you copy along with the mp3 files is called folder.jpg and is not some wacked out JPG variant that's not compliant with the ITU-T T.81, ISO/IEC IS 10918-1 standards. WMP12 will pick it up along with your mp3s when it imports them.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2010   #5

Win 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by notsograymatter View Post
You could always switch to a new media player such as VLC and switch to a different shell.

Windows shell replacement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thanks, notsogray, I do have VLC. My points are not regarding what I use, but rather that Windows 7 and all of its aspects should work.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2010   #6

Win 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Aphelion View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mitrich View Post

My complaints have to do with music files.
WMP12 - no Advanced Tag Editor.

Windows Explorer - can no longer change tagging via Properties in the album files.
I can still change tagging in Win Explorer, tight click, select the "Details" tab, scroll down to Content.

Ap
Ap- I re-tested and you are correct. I cannot replicate my error.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2010   #7

Win 7
 
 

Baarod-

Edit tags in place - sorry, it is one cell at a time for each tyrack on its own, not acceptable. Example - I put large bodies of work for any given composer in chronological order. So, I want to drop the date as part of the album name. Not one track or cell at a time.

Edit tags in Details pane - correct, I erred in my first attempts.

I am looking at Mp3tag, thanks for the suggestion.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Apr 2010   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mitrich View Post
Baarod-

Edit tags in place - sorry, it is one cell at a time for each tyrack on its own, not acceptable. Example - I put large bodies of work for any given composer in chronological order. So, I want to drop the date as part of the album name. Not one track or cell at a time.

Edit tags in Details pane - correct, I erred in my first attempts.

I am looking at Mp3tag, thanks for the suggestion.
Multiple tagging was not possible in that regard in previous versions IIRC. To do what you want you've always needed Mp3tag.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Apr 2010   #9

Vista/Windows 7
 
 

Here is another free Tag editor with some advanced features The Ultimate TagScanner: News

Its great software and can even connect to the net to download the information for you. I could not live with out this
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Apr 2010   #10

Windows 7 64bit RTM
 
 

There's another free tagger here ... ID3-TagIT - THE ID3-Tag-Editor for MP3 ...

Not sure if it's being developed anymore though ..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Complaints about WMP12 and Win 7





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Complaints about WMP12 and Win 7
Thread Forum
General Windows 7 complaints General Discussion
British tourist complaints Chillout Room
3 Major Window 7 Complaints General Discussion
3 MAJOR Complaints of WMP12 Media Center
No complaints here just a BIG Thank You General Discussion
Windows 7 raises complaints from rivals General Discussion
taskbar complaints General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:56 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33