Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: MSE vs Defender

26 Jul 2010   #1
OppfinnarJocke

Win 7
 
 
MSE vs Defender

Currently on my W7x64pro laptop, I have Defender running, but it keeps freaking me out with wanting to restart the computer after every definition update. I *hate* that, and other similar programs (like Avast) can update without having to restart the whole machine. I *hate* that...

So I'm thinking, maybe MSE is more well-behaved and user-friendly in this respect. Any ideas?

And yes, I have updates set to download, but install when I tell it to. Still, it keeps nagging me that the stupid Defender cannot simply install its definition update without re-starting the whole machine. I shut the laptop down less often than once a week.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Jul 2010   #2
Dinesh

Windows® 8 Pro (64-bit)
 
 

MSE is better than defender in all the terms.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2010   #3
Jacee
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1
 
 

Windows Defender is included in MSE, so you can just disable it in Services and not worry about it anymore.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


26 Jul 2010   #4
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by OppfinnarJocke View Post
Currently on my W7x64pro laptop, I have Defender running, but it keeps freaking me out with wanting to restart the computer after every definition update. I *hate* that, and other similar programs (like Avast) can update without having to restart the whole machine. I *hate* that...

So I'm thinking, maybe MSE is more well-behaved and user-friendly in this respect. Any ideas?

And yes, I have updates set to download, but install when I tell it to. Still, it keeps nagging me that the stupid Defender cannot simply install its definition update without re-starting the whole machine. I shut the laptop down less often than once a week.
Well I dont know why you hate that, but MSE is better in that regard. It does update without restart.

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2010   #5
OppfinnarJocke

Win 7
 
 

Thanks for all the replies. Will get rid of Defender, ASAP.
As for why I don't like it to prompt me to restart... well, I typically have 20 different apps going at the same time, copy/pasting between them, I hate to close down that and then set it all up again. I order them in the taskbar to my liking and for quick access, and so on. Restarting simply upsets my well-configured work-space, so I do that as seldom as often...

Thanks again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2010   #6
JonM33

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jacee View Post
Windows Defender is included in MSE, so you can just disable it in Services and not worry about it anymore.
Minor correction, Windows Defender (anti-spyware program) is disabled when you install MSE.

Windows Defender - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

information   Information
On September 29, 2009, Microsoft released Microsoft Security Essentials, a freeware anti-malware product. A Microsoft official notice posted earlier on June 23, 2009, on Microsoft community forum indicates that Microsoft Security Essentials supersedes Windows Defender as it covers a broader range of malware. The same notice states that although users do not need to run Windows Defender anymore, both applications can remain installed side-by-side. Current releases of Microsoft Security Essentials automatically turn off Windows Defender on installation
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2010   #7
Jacee
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1
 
 

MSE is a security suite designed for consumers and lacks centralized management features which are found in Microsoft Forefront Client Security. It includes the same anti-malware engine (dubbed "Microsoft Malware Protection Engine", or MSMPENG for short[not in citation given]), and virus definitions that all other Microsoft desktop anti-malware products share, including Forefront Client Security, Windows Live OneCare, and Windows Defender[not in citation given] (Defender excludes the antivirus definitions which are separate from the antispyware definitions).[14] Before installation, MSE checks for the validity of the installed copy of Microsoft Windows. MSE requires no registration or personal information.[15] MSE will disable Windows Defender, as it provides protection against malware, not limited to spyware and adware
Microsoft Security Essentials - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2010   #8
JonM33

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jacee View Post
MSE is a security suite designed for consumers and lacks centralized management features which are found in Microsoft Forefront Client Security. It includes the same anti-malware engine (dubbed "Microsoft Malware Protection Engine", or MSMPENG for short[not in citation given]), and virus definitions that all other Microsoft desktop anti-malware products share, including Forefront Client Security, Windows Live OneCare, and Windows Defender[not in citation given] (Defender excludes the antivirus definitions which are separate from the antispyware definitions).[14] Before installation, MSE checks for the validity of the installed copy of Microsoft Windows. MSE requires no registration or personal information.[15] MSE will disable Windows Defender, as it provides protection against malware, not limited to spyware and adware
Microsoft Security Essentials - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thanks, Jacee. Where does that state that Windows Defender is included in MSE?

Also, note the "not in citation given" points to that?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2010   #9
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

MSE replaces Defender, so you can't really compare the two. Defender also was never really considered an anti-virus program, as it was meant to focus on spyware instead. Just switch to MSE and be done with it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Aug 2010   #10
OppfinnarJocke

Win 7
 
 

Thanks for all the replies.

Just to check that I understand this correctly...

MSSE replaces Defender, that's understood, but I also no longer need avast, correct?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 MSE vs Defender




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows Defender
Hi all, Am a newbie; i use lot of computers and tablets. But am just an end user. I've got a question here; most of you guys know the answer. 1. For what purpose Windows Defender and Windows Firewall are there 2. If those things are working; why we had to go for Antivirus 3. Even i tried...
System Security
Keep getting msg that defender is off
I cannot open Windows Defender on two computers one is Home Premium 32bit and the other is Ultimate 32bit. On the Home Premium computer a msg pops up reminding that Defender is off and offering to turn it on. On the Ultimate computer when I click on Defender in the CP I get the same msg. On both...
System Security
Bit Defender
I received an email from BD with an offer that I can't refuse. The problem is deciding whether to buy just the AV, Internet Security or Total Security, since they are all at the same price. One might think that it would be an easy decision...just buy the most complete package. But, I installed a...
System Security
Do I need Defender?
I have Microsoft Security and Essentials which takes care of everything as far as I know and I think it turns of my Defender but it's been a long time ago so I don't think I need Windows Defender
System Security
Forefront and Defender
I installed Forefront and then uninstalled Defender (from programs). I still see an entry in my services for defender. I disabled it. But update is still downloading up dates for it. I unchecked them but it still tried to download them (they are marked as "failed"). Where shall I look to stop this....
System Security
can i use defender n avg at the same time?
juz 1 2 ask for advice here.can i use defender n avg internet security at the same time?is that running smoothly n stable 4 me?
System Security

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:32.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App