Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows Security: These Files Can't Be Opened!


30 Oct 2010   #1

win 7 home premium
 
 
Windows Security: These Files Can't Be Opened!

Hi, forgive me for starting a new thread on this but I've looked back over all the other related threads and can't find an exact match or a solution.

I first noticed this problem yesterday after starting up my pc. I'm using Photoshop and adobe bridge, when I click on a thumbnail in bridge (to open it in photoshop) I get the message 'These Files can't be opened' & 'Your internet security settings prevented one or more files frome being opened'. I don't understand how internet security settings can be interfering with a program like photoshop. I tried downloading an update for adobe bridge but when I try to install it I get the same message.

I've tried altering my internet security settings as advised in the other threads here but it makes no difference. I have defender switched off and McAfee AV running, I also tried disabling McAfee AV but that didn't help with the problem either. I've run a full system AV scan with zero issues detected.


I've also tried 3 system restores at different points and still no luck. When I try the restore it scans for a report on all the programs etc that will be deleted and yet when I carry out the restore they are all still present and working.......confusing eh?

I'm really hoping someone can help me with this as I'm a working photographer and photoshop is an essential tool for me.

Many Thanks

Paul

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Oct 2010   #2

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit SP1
 
 

"I've tried altering my internet security settings as advised in the other threads here but it makes no difference."

^ By that you mean that you went into the IE control panel (named Internet Options) and set all the zones (four of them) to default? There are a couple of settings in there that don't change back to defaults-- even if you click reset zones. In this case I would check the Internet zone

Firefox, messenger and many other programs refer to the IE zone settings.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Forgie View Post
Hi, forgive me for starting a new thread on this but I've looked back over all the other related threads and can't find an exact match or a solution.

I first noticed this problem yesterday after starting up my pc. I'm using Photoshop and adobe bridge, when I click on a thumbnail in bridge (to open it in photoshop) I get the message 'These Files can't be opened' & 'Your internet security settings prevented one or more files frome being opened'. I don't understand how internet security settings can be interfering with a program like photoshop. I tried downloading an update for adobe bridge but when I try to install it I get the same message.

I've tried altering my internet security settings as advised in the other threads here but it makes no difference. I have defender switched off and McAfee AV running, I also tried disabling McAfee AV but that didn't help with the problem either. I've run a full system AV scan with zero issues detected.


I've also tried 3 system restores at different points and still no luck. When I try the restore it scans for a report on all the programs etc that will be deleted and yet when I carry out the restore they are all still present and working.......confusing eh?

I'm really hoping someone can help me with this as I'm a working photographer and photoshop is an essential tool for me.

Many Thanks

Paul
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Oct 2010   #3

win 7 home premium
 
 

Thanks for the reply.

^ By that you mean that you went into the IE control panel (named Internet Options) and set all the zones (four of them) to default?

Yes that's how I did it.


There are a couple of settings in there that don't change back to defaults-- even if you click reset zones. In this case I would check the Internet zone

What should I check for specifically?

Firefox, messenger and many other programs refer to the IE zone settings.

That makes sense to me but I can't understand why it would effect photoshop?

I also don't understand why the system restore doesn't solve the issue bu then again I'm completely out of my depth with most of this stuff.

Thanks Again

Paul
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


30 Oct 2010   #4

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit SP1
 
 

I removed Adobe Bridge from my CS 2 install a while ago, so I can't test the settings personally.

In the Internet zone of the IE control panel, the section titled 'Miscellaneous' has the settings that don't like resetting. Try setting the options in that particular section to Prompt (if available), if not-- set to enable.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Forgie View Post
Thanks for the reply.

^ By that you mean that you went into the IE control panel (named Internet Options) and set all the zones (four of them) to default?

Yes that's how I did it.


There are a couple of settings in there that don't change back to defaults-- even if you click reset zones. In this case I would check the Internet zone

What should I check for specifically?

Firefox, messenger and many other programs refer to the IE zone settings.

That makes sense to me but I can't understand why it would effect photoshop?

I also don't understand why the system restore doesn't solve the issue bu then again I'm completely out of my depth with most of this stuff.

Thanks Again

Paul
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Oct 2010   #5

win 7 home premium
 
 

Thanks again Rei.

I've checked and altered all those settings as you've described and still the problem persists.

I've found a short term workaround to open files in CS5 by going direct to the storage folder and bypassing bridge........hardly a convenient or time efficient method though

Paul
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Oct 2010   #6

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit SP1
 
 

I suppose you could always try applying the same settings to the local intranet zone. Maybe check the settings area of bridge (if it has one), there may be something in there and see look around for security settings there?

Your Internet security settings prevented one or more files from being opened. < I know this doesn't mention bridge specifically, but it does discuss the same error message you are receiving. Maybe it's worth a read? (if you haven't read it already.)

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Forgie View Post
Thanks again Rei.

I've checked and altered all those settings as you've described and still the problem persists.

I've found a short term workaround to open files in CS5 by going direct to the storage folder and bypassing bridge........hardly a convenient or time efficient method though

Paul
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Oct 2010   #7

win 7 home premium
 
 

I've poked around a bit more and it's not just bridge that is effected, I can't open files in CS5 via Canon DPP software either.

I read back over the thread that you linked to in your post and I'm having many of the same issues but like some of the other people here there doesn't seem to be a solution. I tried the reg edit trick but that key does not exist in my registry so no luck with that one. I also tried to modify my user account settings (as suggested by another post here) but I'm unable to override the current settings, I can click on OK but it just stays where it is.

Where to go now? This is so frustrating as I can't understand what caused this to happen. Any more suggestions would be very welcome.

Paul
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Oct 2010   #8

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit SP1
 
 

[Updated] These files can&rsquo;t be opened. Your Internet security settings prevented one or more files from being opened &ndash; Solved | iLERTECH - Android, WordPress, PHP, JavaScript, C#, .NET, Windows, Java, Apache < Maybe useful?

Also, have you tried creating a second account and doing the Bridge to Photoshop process on it? (Just as a test, but make sure to remove the account afterward.)

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Forgie View Post
I've poked around a bit more and it's not just bridge that is effected, I can't open files in CS5 via Canon DPP software either.

I read back over the thread that you linked to in your post and I'm having many of the same issues but like some of the other people here there doesn't seem to be a solution. I tried the reg edit trick but that key does not exist in my registry so no luck with that one. I also tried to modify my user account settings (as suggested by another post here) but I'm unable to override the current settings, I can click on OK but it just stays where it is.

Where to go now? This is so frustrating as I can't understand what caused this to happen. Any more suggestions would be very welcome.

Paul
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Oct 2010   #9

win 7 home premium
 
 

I've checked my settings against those in the link that you provided and they are the same.

I've just created another UA with admin privs and bingo......problem appears to have gone away!

Does this help you to identify the cause of the problem?

If so, what would you suggest I do next? I'm reluctant to delete my old account for fear of messing something up, also my new account desktop is completely blank and I'm not sure how to get it looking the same as my other account. Hope that makes sense.

I really appreciate the time you're giving me here Rei, thanks again.

Paul
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Oct 2010   #10

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit SP1
 
 

Windows accounts' can become corrupted~

Since the new account works perfectly, that's great.

Personally I wouldn't try to copy over setting folders from the old account to the new one, since the old account seems to have problems.

You could just demote the old admin account to a standard user and browse its content from the admin account whenever you needed to access its files (if you want to keep the account.)

You would probably probably be better of/safer to configure the desktop settings for the new account to your liking than trying to move settings in from the old one to the new one.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Forgie View Post
I've checked my settings against those in the link that you provided and they are the same.

I've just created another UA with admin privs and bingo......problem appears to have gone away!

Does this help you to identify the cause of the problem?

If so, what would you suggest I do next? I'm reluctant to delete my old account for fear of messing something up, also my new account desktop is completely blank and I'm not sure how to get it looking the same as my other account. Hope that makes sense.

I really appreciate the time you're giving me here Rei, thanks again.

Paul
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows Security: These Files Can't Be Opened!




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Windows Security: These Files Can't Be Opened!
Thread Forum
Help: These files can't be opened. Your Internet... General Discussion
Windows 7 Pro security for files and folders has restricted my files System Security
Solved Setting Viewing Area For Opened Files General Discussion
Solved These files can't be opened. Your internet security(No solution works) System Security
Files can't be opened System Security
Help!'These files can't be opened' General Discussion
How to clean last opened files, folders, etc list? General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33