Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Anti Virus Suggestions ?


30 Oct 2010   #11

Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
 
 
Do you want to use MSE?

Hello!

Do you want to use MSE? I certainly love it! If you want to give it another try, please run the batch file attached, and then try to re-install it again. Please uninstall MSE when the prompt appears to do so, and then try to re-install it.

Thanks!

Richard




Attached Files
File Type: bat MSE.bat (189 Bytes, 3 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Oct 2010   #12

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 

Well I had McAfee for some years, but unless you have a powerful computer, you will experience some slowing down to your computer's performance. So, I uninstalled Mcafee and I installed the free version of Avast. Although it is free, it can compete with the others and sometimes beat them. It has a very fast scanning and it is very easy to use in contrast with Mcafee which has so many different settings to adjust. The only drawback is that it doesn't offer a firewall (in the free version only) but the one provided by Microsoft (already installed with Windows) is a very nice one and with some tweaking you can have it run just perfectly! So, give it a try to Avast it is a really a nice choice!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Oct 2010   #13

Windows 7 64bit
 
 
From OP: Followup

Hi,

Thanks again, everyone.

I've been thinking about my problem with MS Security Essentials, and seem to remember that it was related, somehow, to my not have MS Live Essentials installed.
I tried Live Essentials once, and it caused all sorts of problems, so removed it.

I think that Security Essentials requires Live Essentials also.

No way I will ever use Live Essentials again.

Anyway, now have Avast free going, and all seems fine.

So, again thanks to all for all the help.
Really appreciated.
Nice of everyone to take the time to help me out.

Bob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


30 Oct 2010   #14

Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Robert11 View Post
Hi,

Thanks again, everyone.

I've been thinking about my problem with MS Security Essentials, and seem to remember that it was related, somehow, to my not have MS Live Essentials installed.
I tried Live Essentials once, and it caused all sorts of problems, so removed it.

I think that Security Essentials requires Live Essentials also.

No way I will ever use Live Essentials again.

Anyway, now have Avast free going, and all seems fine.

So, again thanks to all for all the help.
Really appreciated.
Nice of everyone to take the time to help me out.

Bob
You are more than welcome Bob, but really Live Essentials should not affect it. Anyway, +1 for not using Live Essentials! It must be one of the first updates I hide.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Oct 2010   #15

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

I installed AVG free Anti-virus and it started doing strange things to my pc and uninstalled it and went back to using MSE but I am still finding bits of AVG on my pc. Here is a direct link to Microsoft to download Microsoft Security Essentials: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=e1605e70-9649-4a87-8532-33d813687a7f you could also try downloading and installing Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from this link:Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes (For some reason this address has not been highlighted? so just type into your address bar) the free version dosnt offer realtime protection but it is well worth scanning your pc with it, you can run it with any other security sofware you have installed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Oct 2010   #16

Win7 x64 Ultimate SP1
 
 

Bob, Live Essentials is NOT needed for MSE. But you should track down the problem of MSE not loading before adding any other AV. Once it's working you can uninstall it and try something else.

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Oct 2010   #17

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

Robert11,
I will throw Trend Micro into the mix. It's what I've settled on for the last 3 years and I've been happy and virus free. Many good choices and like discussing politics it will bring forth all sorts of opinions. The best AV is the one you'll take the time to learn and use. I run scans daily as TM is fairly light and I don't see a performance drop. Good luck and here's to being malware and virus free !
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Oct 2010   #18

Windows 8.1 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by linnemeyerhere View Post
Robert11,
I will throw Trend Micro into the mix. It's what I've settled on for the last 3 years and I've been happy and virus free. Many good choices and like discussing politics it will bring forth all sorts of opinions. The best AV is the one you'll take the time to learn and use. I run scans daily as TM is fairly light and I don't see a performance drop. Good luck and here's to being malware and virus free !
TM is a very well know BSOD causer on some Windows 7 systems
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Oct 2010   #19

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by yowanvista View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by linnemeyerhere View Post
Robert11,
I will throw Trend Micro into the mix. It's what I've settled on for the last 3 years and I've been happy and virus free. Many good choices and like discussing politics it will bring forth all sorts of opinions. The best AV is the one you'll take the time to learn and use. I run scans daily as TM is fairly light and I don't see a performance drop. Good luck and here's to being malware and virus free !
TM is a very well know BSOD causer on some Windows 7 systems
And consistently scores very low on most reputable AV testing comparison results
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Oct 2010   #20

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by yowanvista View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by linnemeyerhere View Post
Robert11,
I will throw Trend Micro into the mix. It's what I've settled on for the last 3 years and I've been happy and virus free. Many good choices and like discussing politics it will bring forth all sorts of opinions. The best AV is the one you'll take the time to learn and use. I run scans daily as TM is fairly light and I don't see a performance drop. Good luck and here's to being malware and virus free !
TM is a very well know BSOD causer on some Windows 7 systems
+1 Good post.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Anti Virus Suggestions ?




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33