Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: New Security Flaw Found In IE, Best Fire Up FireFox

03 Jan 2009   #1

Vista X32. Windows 7 32bit
 
 
New Security Flaw Found In IE, Best Fire Up FireFox

New Security Flaw Found In IE, Best Fire Up FireFox

Jan 03

If you’re using Internet Explorer to read this it might be an idea to shut it down now and open up trusty old FireFox instead. Microsoft has today issued an alert to notify users of a critical security flaw in IE.7.0 that could allow hackers to take control of your computer and steal passwords. The company is apparently preparing an emergency patch to fix it but in the meantime simply requests that users remain ‘vigilant’ against the threat.Microsoft advisors actually ask that you don’t switch because they are trying to get it resolved as soon as possible. Of course it couldn’t be seen to recommend else’s software, but this doesn’t show much consideration for people’s security concerns. Trend Micro security advisor Rick Ferguson is free from such restraint: “In this case, hackers found the hole before Microsoft did, this is never a good thing. What we’ve seen from the exploit so far is it stealing game passwords, but it’s inevitable that it will be adapted by criminals; it’s just a question of modifying the payload the trojan installs. If users can find an alternative browser, then that’s good mitigation against the threat.” Alternative browsers FireFox, Opera, Chrome and Safari are not vulnerable to the flaw, so if you know what’s good for you best jump on one of these to be safe (most are better than IE anyway). - Paul Lester [BBC] security Internet Explorer Microsoft


New Security Flaw Found In IE, Best Fire Up FireFox | Newsglobal

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Jan 2009   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 x2 + x86 + Windows 8.1 x64 x2
 
 

Thanks Norm,

Have not had a security notification from M$ yet on any "out of band" hotfix yet - If I see one will post it here for information
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jan 2009   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64/ Windows Vista Ultimate x64
 
 

Thanks Norm gonna have to tell my sister to use Firefox now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


03 Jan 2009   #4
Joe

Windows 7 RC
 
 

The post mentions IE7, but many of us with Windows 7 have IE8. Is IE8 also affected?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jan 2009   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 x2 + x86 + Windows 8.1 x64 x2
 
 

Hi Joe,

Reading the original post from norm. as it states that this flaw was found by "hackers" before M$ it is possible that it's found it's way into IE8

Only M$ know for sure but is probably safer to assume it does exist in IE8
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jan 2009   #6

Vista X32. Windows 7 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
Hi Joe,

Reading the original post from norm. as it states that this flaw was found by "hackers" before M$ it is possible that it's found it's way into IE8

Only M$ know for sure but is probably safer to assume it does exist in IE8
Listen guys I think I've been had



Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NormCameron View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
I wonder how IE8 fits into this.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Airbot View Post
Another one Norm! Aww, man.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NormCameron View Post
New Security Flaw Found In IE, Best Fire Up FireFox

Jan 03

If you’re using Internet Explorer to read this it might be an idea to shut it down now and open up trusty old FireFox instead. Microsoft has today issued an alert to notify users of a critical security flaw in IE.7.0 that could allow hackers to take control of your computer and steal passwords. The company is apparently preparing an emergency patch to fix it but in the meantime simply requests that users remain ‘vigilant’ against the threat.Microsoft advisors actually ask that you don’t switch because they are trying to get it resolved as soon as possible. Of course it couldn’t be seen to recommend else’s software, but this doesn’t show much consideration for people’s security concerns. Trend Micro security advisor Rick Ferguson is free from such restraint: “In this case, hackers found the hole before Microsoft did, this is never a good thing. What we’ve seen from the exploit so far is it stealing game passwords, but it’s inevitable that it will be adapted by criminals; it’s just a question of modifying the payload the trojan installs. If users can find an alternative browser, then that’s good mitigation against the threat.” Alternative browsers FireFox, Opera, Chrome and Safari are not vulnerable to the flaw, so if you know what’s good for you best jump on one of these to be safe (most are better than IE anyway). - Paul Lester [BBC] security Internet Explorer Microsoft





New Security Flaw Found In IE, Best Fire Up FireFox | Newsglobal

Norm



Pays to do LOTS of Research, particularly if you are a global news group, I guess also if you take their posts seriously. Must have been a slow newsday for this bunch, they quoted "today" in their post dated 3 January, 2009,

Does this look familiar, BBC News, 16th December, 2008


Serious security flaw found in IE


Internet Explorer is used by the vast majority of the world's computer users

Users of Microsoft's Internet Explorer are being urged by experts to switch to a rival until a serious security flaw has been fixed.
The flaw in Microsoft's Internet Explorer could allow criminals to take control of people's computers and steal their passwords, internet experts say.
Microsoft urged people to be vigilant while it investigated and prepared an emergency patch to resolve it.
Internet Explorer is used by the vast majority of the world's computer users.




BBC NEWS | Technology | Serious security flaw found in IE

Sorry Guys, I was fooled, maybe you weren't. My apologies.

Norm
Sorry again

Norm
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jan 2009   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 x2 + x86 + Windows 8.1 x64 x2
 
 

Hi Norm,

No need for embarrassment on your part

You saw something you believed needed to be shared and I for one would prefer to be warned of something that turns out to be unfounded, than not informed about something that proves to be a problem.

So please don't let this incident stop you posting your valuable information as and when you feel it's important
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jan 2009   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

This is why I always used FF, as my primary browser.
How is it that hackers seem to shock M$ when a security flaw has been exposed, much later rather than sooner?
Ohh poor old M$, they really need to keep ahead of these guys or their creditability is gonna be doomed sooner than later.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jan 2009   #9

Seven x86
 
 

Hey Norm,

Thanks for the post even if it is old. At least you are trying to help better everyone's time spent on the computer. Much appreciated.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jan 2009   #10

Vista X32. Windows 7 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Pho3nix1991 View Post
Hey Norm,

Thanks for the post even if it is old. At least you are trying to help better everyone's time spent on the computer. Much appreciated.
Thanks, though I felt a bit of a fool

Norm
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 New Security Flaw Found In IE, Best Fire Up FireFox




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33