Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows defender


13 Jan 2011   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 
Windows defender

Hi,
I want to turn on windows defender but I think theres problem and I can't turn it on..
I'm using MSE and Comodo Firewall.
Should I stick to MSE and remove Comodo Firewall?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Jan 2011   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

Welcome
Defender is turned off by design. It is part of MSE, two for the price of one (in this case nothing) Use MSE and Malwarebytes, nothing else but a fire wall and common sense will be necessary.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2011   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

richc46, thanks for the fast reply..
I also use malwarebytes.. but I'm not used to it, because it is only for detecting, right? not for preventing? just like scanning.
I want to remove comodo firewall because when it alerts me and asking if to allow or block, I don't know if I should..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


13 Jan 2011   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

thanks also for giving me info that MSE makes the windows defender off.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2011   #5

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

The free version of malwarebytes, should be run once a week. If it finds malware it will tell you or actually remove depending on the circumstances and type of malware.
As I said in my opening post, I would remove Comondo and use the Windows Firewall. Each of these can be set to allow certain actions and not to allow others. You can ask us for help on that. If you do not set them up to allow or block they will ask if you will allow.
Trust me, the forum members are here to serve you. Any question about blocking etc just ask. If you get a notice should you allow or block, just block and then ask us. You can always allow it later if you want it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2011   #6

Win 7 32 Home Premium, Win 7 64 Pro, Win 8.1 Pro
 
 

Malwarebytes is a good program to have and should be run on a regular basis. No, it will not prevent infection, but it will detect and remove infections.

MSE has real time protection, it runs in the background and detects any viruses/malware.

Comodo is just doing it's job by letting you know what's accessing the web. You can check the "remember my answer" box and it will no longer alert you to that particular program accessing the web. You may have to adjust your settings.

Comodo has a lot of settings, if you choose to run it I'd suggest you d/l this and read it.

http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/C...User_Guide.pdf

Also, there are several threads that you can peruse and find some info on Comodo.

http://www.sevenforums.com/security-...-released.html
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jan 2011   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
The free version of malwarebytes, should be run once a week. If it finds malware it will tell you or actually remove depending on the circumstances and type of malware.
As I said in my opening post, I would remove Comondo and use the Windows Firewall. Each of these can be set to allow certain actions and not to allow others. You can ask us for help on that. If you do not set them up to allow or block they will ask if you will allow.
Trust me, the forum members are here to serve you. Any question about blocking etc just ask. If you get a notice should you allow or block, just block and then ask us. You can always allow it later if you want it.
Thanks again!
Maybe not to serve me but to guide me.
Well I'm interested in that windows firewall. I checked mine to see if its on.
Is this setting ok?
Windows defender-windows-firewall.png

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Borg 386 View Post
Malwarebytes is a good program to have and should be run on a regular basis. No, it will not prevent infection, but it will detect and remove infections.

MSE has real time protection, it runs in the background and detects any viruses/malware.

Comodo is just doing it's job by letting you know what's accessing the web. You can check the "remember my answer" box and it will no longer alert you to that particular program accessing the web. You may have to adjust your settings.

Comodo has a lot of settings, if you choose to run it I'd suggest you d/l this and read it.

http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/C...User_Guide.pdf

Also, there are several threads that you can peruse and find some info on Comodo.

http://www.sevenforums.com/security-...-released.html
Thanks!
Yeah. I've done that, remember my answer.. but I'm not that good classifying if something is being asked, like files in system..


My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jan 2011   #8

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

Yes, looks like mine. So it should be ok.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jan 2011   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Ok thanks!
I just want to clarify, MSE & windows firewall = ON; windows defender = OFF; run malwarebytes once a week, right?
I'm gonna uninstall comodo firewall..

btw, I want to go to advance option of windows firewall but it is complicated.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jan 2011   #10

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by iksyaj View Post
Ok thanks!
I just want to clarify, MSE & windows firewall = ON; windows defender = OFF; run malwarebytes once a week, right?
I'm gonna uninstall comodo firewall..

btw, I want to go to advance option of windows firewall but it is complicated.
MSE on check
firewall on check
defender no choice must be off check
MB once a week check. The acutal timing of scans is subjective. If you just come to the forum once a month would be ok.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows defender




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Windows defender
Thread Forum
Does Windows Defender actually do anything System Security
Solved Windows Defender & Others System Security
Solved windows Defender System Security
Windows Defender System Security
Windows Defender System Security
windows defender System Security
Does 7 come with Windows Defender? System Security

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:31 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33