Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: TrueCrypt

17 May 2011   #1

Win7 H.Prem. 32bit+SP1
 
 
TrueCrypt

Hi Folks, I have just created a file using TrueCrypt 7.0a in portable mode. I did so by reading the 'Beginners Tutorial'
As you see in my image, after 'Dismounting' the file :-

TrueCrypt-sf.jpg

How do I safely remove my external hdd ?



My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 May 2011   #2
TCG

 
 

Looking at the screenshot you have posted, your external drive is still open via explorer. If you close all the windows that are open does this still happen?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 May 2011   #3

Win7 H.Prem. 32bit+SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TCG View Post
Looking at the screenshot you have posted, your external drive is still open via explorer. If you close all the windows that are open does this still happen?
Hi TCG, they were all closed after taking the snips for my image. 5 minutes later I still could not safely remove external hdd.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


17 May 2011   #4

Windows 7 Profesional 64 Bit
 
 

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]or just use a batch file something like:
Code:
@ECHO OFF
REM edit the config details.
Set Drive=F
Set Path="Jumbo.tc"
Set TrueCrypt="TrueCrypt.exe"
Set EjectUSB="EjectUSB.exe"
IF EXIST %Drive%: GoTo Dismount
GOTO Mount
:Dismount
START /WAIT %EjectUSB% %Drive%:\
%TrueCrypt% /d %Drive% /f /w /q /s
Exit
:Mount
%TrueCrypt% /v /l %Drive% %Path% /m rm /m ts /q /e
You will need http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1425 a tiny usb removal program for this batch file to work properly.


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 May 2011   #5

Win7 H.Prem. 32bit+SP1
 
 

Problem solved. I have decided not to use TrueCrypt.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 May 2011   #6
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
Hi Folks, I have just created a file using TrueCrypt 7.0a in portable mode. I did so by reading the 'Beginners Tutorial'
As you see in my image, after 'Dismounting' the file :-

Attachment 155025

How do I safely remove my external hdd ?
From :TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux - FAQ

Quote:
Can I unplug or turn off a hot-plug device (for example, a USB flash drive or USB hard drive) when there is a mounted TrueCrypt volume on it?
Before you unplug or turn off the device, you should always dismount the TrueCrypt volume in TrueCrypt first, and then perform the 'Eject' operation if available (right-click the device in the 'Computer' or 'My Computer' list), or use the 'Safely Remove Hardware' function (built in Windows, accessible via the taskbar notification area). Otherwise, data loss may occur.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 May 2011   #7

Win7 H.Prem. 32bit+SP1
 
 

Hi NoN,
Quote:
Can I unplug or turn off a hot-plug device (for example, a USB flash drive or USB hard drive) when there is a mounted TrueCrypt volume on it?
Before you unplug or turn off the device, you should always dismount the TrueCrypt volume in TrueCrypt first, and then perform the 'Eject' operation if available (right-click the device in the 'Computer' or 'My Computer' list), or use the 'Safely Remove Hardware' function (built in Windows, accessible via the taskbar notification area). Otherwise, data loss may occur
I had read TC faq including above.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 May 2011   #8
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
Hi NoN,
Quote:
Can I unplug or turn off a hot-plug device (for example, a USB flash drive or USB hard drive) when there is a mounted TrueCrypt volume on it?
Before you unplug or turn off the device, you should always dismount the TrueCrypt volume in TrueCrypt first, and then perform the 'Eject' operation if available (right-click the device in the 'Computer' or 'My Computer' list), or use the 'Safely Remove Hardware' function (built in Windows, accessible via the taskbar notification area). Otherwise, data loss may occur
I had read TC faq including above.
I've been a little like you about TrueCrypt...i'm still not decided to use it or not...

PS:
I'm using a little soft call "MyWinLocker" able to encrypt only a part (4Gb max) of my documents and also on Windows 7 Pro the EFS encryption certificat.

That not might be the best that's why i though about TrueCrypt...I'm always afraid to do something wrong with those tools that will mess my files!!!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 May 2011   #9

Win7 H.Prem. 32bit+SP1
 
 

Hi NoN, have you tried the Windows Seven Tutorial
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 May 2011   #10
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
Hi NoN, have you tried the Windows Seven Tutorial
Nope, not yet as i explained above...The Batch file is valid only for a set of folders...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 TrueCrypt





Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:07 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33