Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: explorer.exe winlogon.exe virus


19 May 2011   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 
explorer.exe winlogon.exe virus

malwarebytes,eset find explore.exe,winlogon.exe w.dll as a virus and want to remove them, if that happens then i'll have to reinstall the windows, anyone knows how to deal with this kind of problem?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 May 2011   #2

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 ; Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
 
 

What is the Make/Model of your Computer?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 May 2011   #3

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gavros777 View Post
malwarebytes,eset find explore.exe,winlogon.exe w.dll as a virus and want to remove them, if that happens then i'll have to reinstall the windows, anyone knows how to deal with this kind of problem?
Go to Malwarebytes Forum and ask them. They are very helpful.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


19 May 2011   #4
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1
 
 

Both explore.exe and winlogon.exe can look to be legit MS files, but malware can diguise itself to look like legit files.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 May 2011   #5
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1
 
 

Take a look here w.dll | ThreatExpert statistics
w.dll is a hacktool, password stealer, infostealer.

Let MBam and Eset quarantine the infected files, and change all your passwords using a different (clean) computer. Don't use the infect one to do this with!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 May 2011   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jacee View Post
Take a look here w.dll | ThreatExpert statistics
w.dll is a hacktool, password stealer, infostealer.

Let MBam and Eset quarantine the infected files, and change all your passwords using a different (clean) computer. Don't use the infect one to do this with!
i had to restart my computer for malware bytes and eset to remove explorer.exe and winlogon.exe and now my computer doesn't login to the windows but restarts by itself. is there a way to clean those infected files without removing them since are needed by the computer?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 May 2011   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x86
 
 

do you have install any theme before that have change your explore.exe and winlogon.exe

if yes you need to restore your system, you cant delete explorer.exe and winlogon.exe because it needed by windows.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 May 2011   #8

Winbdows 7 ultimate x64 | Ubuntu 12.04 x64 LTS
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gavros777 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jacee View Post
Take a look here w.dll | ThreatExpert statistics
w.dll is a hacktool, password stealer, infostealer.

Let MBam and Eset quarantine the infected files, and change all your passwords using a different (clean) computer. Don't use the infect one to do this with!
i had to restart my computer for malware bytes and eset to remove explorer.exe and winlogon.exe and now my computer doesn't login to the windows but restarts by itself. is there a way to clean those infected files without removing them since are needed by the computer?
In case the actual files got infected and removed by the AVs, you can do the following.

Start your pc and tap F8/F12 to get to the advanced boot options screen..
Select Repair your Computer.
Enter your account name and password if prompted and select the keyboard layout.
It'll try and detect the problem bu itself, but nevermind, just click the link "More recovery options" or something like that.
Goto the command prompt.
Type sfc /scannow and hit enter.
Wait for its completion and restart.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 May 2011   #9

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 ; Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
 
 

You cannot do a System File checker in System Repair Options - I have tried in the past and it has not worked
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 May 2011   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shadowjk View Post
You cannot do a System File checker in System Repair Options - I have tried in the past and it has not worked
Actually, you can...

SFC /SCANNOW : Run in Command Prompt at Boot
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 explorer.exe winlogon.exe virus




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: explorer.exe winlogon.exe virus
Thread Forum
explorer will not start after having ukash virus System Security
explorer.exe using over 70,000k of memory..Virus? System Security
Explorer Will Not Load, States Explorer.exe Contains Virus System Security
Explorer.EXE is this a virus??? System Security
Virus/winlogon/csrss System Security
CSRSS.EXE & WINLOGON.EXE - is it a virus? System Security
i4jdel0.exe and winlogon.exe virus BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33