Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Uninstall XP Home Security 2012?


18 Jun 2011   #1

Windows 7 pro x64
 
 
Uninstall XP Home Security 2012?

Family member called me up asking for help, They have a virus and can't do anything with it. Turns out the AV he thought they had was "XP Home Security 2012". At present I'm Running "Standalone System Sweeper". Can anyone suggest secondary program or better to use?

Thanks

Ryan (Family and Friend puter go to person)

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Jun 2011   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64
 
 

Hello there. First try with this internet guide. See if it helps
XP Home Security 2012 Virus Manual Removal Guide–XP Home Security 2012 Virus Comes in Group
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jun 2011   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by garaboldi View Post
Family member called me up asking for help, They have a virus and can't do anything with it. Turns out the AV he thought they had was "XP Home Security 2012". At present I'm Running "Standalone System Sweeper". Can anyone suggest secondary program or better to use?

Thanks

Ryan (Family and Friend puter go to person)
Hi garaboldi.
XP Home Security 2012 is a rogue AV. Removal instructions.
Let us know the results.
My antivirus suggestion: Avast.

Hope that helps.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


19 Jun 2011   #4

Windows 7 pro x64
 
 

Update: After running the standalone cleaner, and the 2 above suggestions, Total of 38 items were removed. But, the XP Home Security 2012 is still up and running. Unless there are any other suggestions, I am going to Re-imiage the OS.

Thanks for the help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jun 2011   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64
 
 

Hello,try this:
Download and install Malwarebytes. Run a full scan and see if Malwarebytes can clean it.
Click on Start button and there write msconfig. There in Startup tab uncheck programs that you don't need,or if you don't know what to uncheck post a screnshoot and upload it here on SF. Also,in Services check Hide all Microsoft Services,and disable all remaining services.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jun 2011   #6

Windows 7 pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by StalkeR View Post
Hello,try this:
Download and install Malwarebytes. Run a full scan and see if Malwarebytes can clean it.
Click on Start button and there write msconfig. There in Startup tab uncheck programs that you don't need,or if you don't know what to uncheck post a screnshoot and upload it here on SF. Also,in Services check Hide all Microsoft Services,and disable all remaining services.
Anything now from the "Run Command" is not possible. Tried installing Stopzilla, It would not install. Spend over 1 day for this relative. Back-up what I can and reload the OS, What ever he losses he looses. Hope he learns about not having AV.

To everyone to tried to help, Thank you very much.
Ryan
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jun 2011   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

You're welcome!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jun 2011   #8

Windows 7 & Windows Vista Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by garaboldi View Post
Family member called me up asking for help, They have a virus and can't do anything with it. Turns out the AV he thought they had was "XP Home Security 2012". At present I'm Running "Standalone System Sweeper". Can anyone suggest secondary program or better to use?

Thanks

Ryan (Family and Friend puter go to person)
Hi, Ryan. Although I'm a bit late, the instructions for removing XP Home Security 2012 are in this tutorial at Bleeping Computer: Remove Win 7 Antispyware 2012 and Vista Antivirus 2012 name changing rogue (Uninstall Guide)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@StalkeR, MBAM blocked the IP Address of the site you linked to.

@Wallonn7, Although not always accurate, WOT does not give the site you linked to a very good rating.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jun 2011   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by garaboldi View Post
Update: After running the standalone cleaner, and the 2 above suggestions, Total of 38 items were removed. But, the XP Home Security 2012 is still up and running. Unless there are any other suggestions, I am going to Re-imiage the OS.

Thanks for the help.
With all of the issues found (and probably some that weren't) I'd just reinstall. At some point it is easier than chasing trojans and spyware all the time. If you are going to try and rid the system of it,
Norton Rescue Tools
This tool from Norton has blown away every fake antivirus program I've dealt with.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jun 2011   #10

Window's 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Boy that AV2012 is going around I know of about 12 other systems that have got the infection .
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Uninstall XP Home Security 2012?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Uninstall XP Home Security 2012?
Thread Forum
Uninstall VS 2012 Express Software
Microsoft Security Bulletin(s) for May 8, 2012 Windows Updates & Activation
Solved win 7 internet security 2012 has taken over my laptop. System Security
Solved W7-Jan.24,2012 Security update Windows Updates & Activation
Solved Windows Seven Home Security 2012 TROJAN System Security
Norton Internet Security 2012 System Security
Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 System Security

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33