Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: EMET installation option


07 Aug 2011   #1
nle

Windows 7 HP64
 
 
EMET installation option

Hello.

I've been wondering: what is meant exactly by "Install EMET for yourself, or for anyone who uses this computer:".

I mean I understand of course the general meaning, but I'm not sure what are the effects if one selects "Just me".
Would that imply that:
1) only that user can start and configure EMET but everything he configured (DEP/SEHOP/ASLR) would apply to all users
or
2) features enabled through EMET would only apply to that user (no DEP/SEHOP/ASLR for other users?)

Thanks


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Aug 2011   #2

Windows 7 Enterprise x64 SP1
 
 

DEP/SEHOP/ASLR are always applied system-wide.
The other protection options, however, can be installed for you or all the users on the PC.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Aug 2011   #3
nle

Windows 7 HP64
 
 

I didn't know there were other protection options actually.
Those are not system-wide then, I guess?

My setup has 2 users: 1 admin and 1 standard user.
So I suppose in my case it's a good idea to install it (as admin) for all users so I can benefit from the "other protection options" as the standard user?
Or to the contrary is it a risk in that a malware would only need to "own" the standard user in order to obtain sufficient authority to access/mess with EMET configuration, disabling protection options in the process ?

BTW, I've read there's a registry key that can be create/modified to make it possible to use ASLR for all process. (can't find the article again)
Is this a bad idea? Seems quite a hassle to track down all the programs one uses/installs and add them manually every time :-/

(Sorry for all the question but I find that tool rather confusing) :-/

Thanks for your answer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


07 Aug 2011   #4

Windows 7 Enterprise x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nle View Post
I didn't know there were other protection options actually.
Those are not system-wide then, I guess?
You can apply the other protection options to applications you choose when you click the Configure Apps in EMET.
The Configure System options are system-wide, the Configure Apps options are only applied to the Current user.
If you don't select "Install EMET for all users" you might not be able to get EMET to start on other accounts and apply the Application configuration for their account.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nle View Post
My setup has 2 users: 1 admin and 1 standard user.
So I suppose in my case it's a good idea to install it (as admin) for all users so I can benefit from the "other protection options" as the standard user?
Or to the contrary is it a risk in that a malware would only need to "own" the standard user in order to obtain sufficient authority to access/mess with EMET configuration, disabling protection options in the process ?
It's OK to install EMET for all users. A standard user will not be able to modify the system-wide options without proper elevation.



Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nle View Post
BTW, I've read there's a registry key that can be create/modified to make it possible to use ASLR for all process. (can't find the article again)
Is this a bad idea? Seems quite a hassle to track down all the programs one uses/installs and add them manually every time :-/
Microsoft should make some sort of Application that will update these entries daily/weekly. Atm, you can only update them if you have proper documentation on the malware that you want to keep out of your system.
The default entries are set for knows exploits from Metasploit Framework and some other sites. (Honestly, ASLR will only keep out script kiddies, not someone that knows what he's doing.) I have this option disabled because it will sometimes crash legitimate software (like DeepFreeze).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 EMET installation option




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: EMET installation option
Thread Forum
EMET 4.0 now available for download Security News
Solved Installation of Windows 7 "no option for custom installation" Installation & Setup
Emet 3.0.0 Performance & Maintenance
New version of EMET is now available Security News
no format option during the installation Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33