Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Switching Security Solutions

29 Nov 2011   #41
codyw

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with SP1
 
 

I have done the process of elimination while doing research. I'm either going to go with Trend Micro Titanium 2012 products or AVG 2012 products...


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
29 Nov 2011   #42
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by codyw View Post
I have done the process of elimination while doing research. I'm either going to go with Trend Micro Titanium 2012 products or AVG 2012 products...
Now cody I'd be pretty damn careful re Trend or AVG mate I put on Malwarebytes for a friend the other night and whereas Trend had picked up 5 threats in 8 months I got 131 with Malwarebytes alone, and she is now going to ditch the Trend.

I had it many years ago and it was rubbish then and IMHO it still is, AVG wasn't too bad but still not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2011   #43
JMH

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit. SP1.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by codyw View Post
I have done the process of elimination while doing research. I'm either going to go with Trend Micro Titanium 2012 products or AVG 2012 products...

FYI,
I had Trend Micro {paid} installed prior to switching to AVG.
Uninstalling same - & locating the remnants remaining - proved to be extremely tedious & time consuming here.
Their support IMHO left much to be desired.
{An anecdotal survey of one.....of course!}
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Nov 2011   #44
codyw

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with SP1
 
 

Hmm, interesting stuff about Trend. Well, I have a little "setup" currently setup. I have Trend Micro Max Security 2012 and also have the free COMODO Firewall running alongside. It catches malware too upon entering the computer. If it misses it, then it's up to Trend's defenses. I tested my theory on this on my testing PC and it did OK.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2011   #45
JMH

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit. SP1.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by codyw View Post
Hmm, interesting stuff about Trend. Well, I have a little "setup" currently setup. I have Trend Micro Max Security 2012 and also have the free COMODO Firewall running alongside. It catches malware too upon entering the computer. If it misses it, then it's up to Trend's defenses. I tested my theory on this on my testing PC and it did OK.
Keep us posted.

Off topic & a curiosity question....
Have you ever considered using the inbuilt Windows firewall? {used in conjunction with a good router firewall}
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2011   #46
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by codyw View Post
Hmm, interesting stuff about Trend. Well, I have a little "setup" currently setup. I have Trend Micro Max Security 2012 and also have the free COMODO Firewall running alongside. It catches malware too upon entering the computer. If it misses it, then it's up to Trend's defenses. I tested my theory on this on my testing PC and it did OK.
Ok mate well as I said elsewhere it's each to his own but I would still be running the free Malwarebytes as well - if you remember my comments re my friends machine. The thing you might find is that Trend "sees" it as malware and you will have to disable the Trend for the MBAM scan and you should use these settings - if you are going to run MBAM or else you end up with a very long scan and conflicts with any suite you have on board. Good luck!.

As an afterthought I am using the Comodo Premium free on my XP tester and it's spot on so if you go off Trend thats a good stop mate.


Attached Thumbnails
Switching Security Solutions-mbam-settings.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2011   #47
codyw

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with SP1
 
 

I've used the Windows Firewall when I first started out with Windows a long time ago. It's clunky and hard to use in my opinion. That's why when I was thinking of multi-layer security, I thought of COMODO's firewall which catches most malware upon entry. If it gets past its behavioral and sandbox analysis, then the security product would (hopefully) catch the threat. On my testing PC, AVG and COMODO combined did well. I was surprised when I ran an anti-rootkit scan at the end that it found many! On the other hand, Trend 2012 did OK too. With its behavior blocker set to hypersensitive, and COMODO set to block all unknown attacks for both AVG & Trend tests, Trend did OK. It would have done poorly without COMODO's help because COMODO blocked a lot of stuff before Trend responded.

The one thing I am not liking about Trend is: I posted on their community forums today where to send malware samples to and no one has answered it. Surprisingly, I don't see many posts/topics about that question. Surely they have an email address or website you can send or upload the samples to, but maybe not!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2011   #48
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by codyw View Post
I've used the Windows Firewall when I first started out with Windows a long time ago. It's clunky and hard to use in my opinion. That's why when I was thinking of multi-layer security, I thought of COMODO's firewall which catches most malware upon entry. If it gets past its behavioral and sandbox analysis, then the security product would (hopefully) catch the threat. On my testing PC, AVG and COMODO combined did well. I was surprised when I ran an anti-rootkit scan at the end that it found many! On the other hand, Trend 2012 did OK too. With its behavior blocker set to hypersensitive, and COMODO set to block all unknown attacks for both AVG & Trend tests, Trend did OK. It would have done poorly without COMODO's help because COMODO blocked a lot of stuff before Trend responded.

The one thing I am not liking about Trend is: I posted on their community forums today where to send malware samples to and no one has answered it. Surprisingly, I don't see many posts/topics about that question. Surely they have an email address or website you can send or upload the samples to, but maybe not!
Mate sounds a bit like the Toshiba forum they are really slow on answers but am getting rid of my Toshy stuff as I think it's rubbish now too! (Sorry mods a bit OT)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2011   #49
rubyrubyroo

MS Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit (Family Pack Lic.) Upgrade
 
 

@Codyw - I believe (at least in past versions of trend, there is a built in mechanism (i don't remember a button, a checkbox somewhere?) that allows automatic sending of the nicely packaged and encrypted sample to the lab for analysis (with reply). it is available when the detection occurs.

And maybe I missed a page or two, but how exactly are you testing your test computer once its set-up and ready?

@ICit2lol - Hey now, AVG had it's heyday, can't remember how many years it's been, 5 maybe, it was pretty much top dog in my research (and I'm not talking PC mags, but big-boy grownup tests with controls and statistical significance (via: chi square tests) and across-the-board it detected with the highest efficacy of any (I believe at the time it was about one of the only ones that even detected like 4 out of the 5 tested key-loggers, whereas maybe 1-2 other apps found 1 each.... (for instance) Then I installed it for years on clients computers and dropped my guard for 4 years or so and went back to the stats only to find the bottom fell out at some point (maybe day 2 maybe the day before I reexamined it ? who knows?) But spot-on crap today! I call it "watchware", because it basically watches the infection enter, logs it, and reports it (even when set to del or encrypt or whatever) wonderful, only wish i could boot up to READ THE LOG! but, hey, you live, you learn.

Mike...out
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2011   #50
codyw

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with SP1
 
 

I take my personal PC offline so nothing can infect it. I install a security solution on the test PC that I am wishing to test (usually a trial), and use URL's to real malware to see how well the suite can keep the PC clean. It seems the more people I talk to, the more tech savvy people like myself are doing it as a "hands-on" project to test a product's effectiveness, and then compare it to other competing products. For all of 2012 products out there so far, I have tests 19. Some had good results, and some had bad. Then I log each test in a Word document for my own documentation.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Switching Security Solutions




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
switching from 1366 to 1155 then switching mobo to ib mobo
Hey guys, not entirely sure if this is the right section but I'm considering selling my 1366 chipset. I run an I7 960 at 3.2ghz stock, some pretty average 6gb corsair ram and an Asus P685D-E mobo. And have a thermaltake chaser mk-1. I'm considering upgrading in two weeks. I already have 3...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Switching drivers when switching users?
Hi guy's just wondering if it's possible to get windows 7 to switch audio drivers when you switch to another user account. For eg.. normal speakers device for my personal account and then have my multichannel device (profire 2626) set as default for my other user account 4 studio work. Atm,...
Drivers
SP1 Out of Solutions
Im going back and forth pounding my head against a metal spike trying to figure out just why I cant install this, almost for the past week now. I get error code 80004005. I tried the following solutions Fix It (No availe) Scan And Error Repair (Did Nothing) Checked my computer upside down for...
Windows Updates & Activation
Ahh ! the dialectics on av solutions
useful....useless....indispensable... these have been a few adjectives thrown around about antivirus/anti malware solutions. here are a few reads capturing the nuances of this dialectic... Is there hope for antivirus programs? Is there hope for antivirus programs? | IT Security |...
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:13.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App