Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Unable to start Windows Firewall

17 Dec 2011   #21

California
 
 

Hi Balon,

I am having the same issue as Tugotti and I have tried the last thing you stated. Still getting the same error.

"Windows could not start the Windows Firewall service on Local Compter. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Dec 2011   #22

California
 
 

Also I'm not sure if it helps but my BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) is also not functioning. It gives me the following error code: -2147014790.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Dec 2011   #23
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1
 
 

System error codes: System Error Codes
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


17 Dec 2011   #24

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ocelotvarn View Post
Also I'm not sure if it helps but my BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) is also not functioning. It gives me the following error code: -2147014790.
Make sure you set Full Control to the groups Everyone, User, Admin, SYSTEM, Creator. Make sure they are all on Full control for BFE via Regedit.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Dec 2011   #25

windows 7 pro 64 bit
 
 

Balon,

Thank You!! Thank You!! I have been fighting this for a while, and your solution worked! It made me so happy, I registered on this site for the sole purpose of thanking you!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Dec 2011   #26

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
 
 

Thanks, Balon. The registry fixes solve the inabilility to start Firewall services caused bye Patched.HN/Trojan.Dropper.PE4 trojans
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2011   #27

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 
Balon help agian

I have followed everything here and had all the same problems.

The only thing that i might not understand is after I downloaded the two files bfe.reg & firewall.reg.

Launch and import them to registry
(If I simply double click on these two files and notepad appears, is that importing them into the registry?) This had to work for me because I was able to do all the next steps. I'm stuck after the RUN

The start base filtering engine service and then windows firewall service are not there still. I have restarted twice, shutdown twice and still not there.

The Network Connections is set to manual.
The Windows Management Instrumentation is set to Automatic.

I do believe this all started after a flash update.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2011   #28

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarrienAdams View Post
I have followed everything here and had all the same problems.

The only thing that i might not understand is after I downloaded the two files bfe.reg & firewall.reg.

Launch and import them to registry
(If I simply double click on these two files and notepad appears, is that importing them into the registry?) This had to work for me because I was able to do all the next steps. I'm stuck after the RUN

The start base filtering engine service and then windows firewall service are not there still. I have restarted twice, shutdown twice and still not there.

The Network Connections is set to manual.
The Windows Management Instrumentation is set to Automatic.

I do believe this all started after a flash update.
Registry files must end in .reg , so go to 'Tools', 'Folder options' on Windows Explorer, remove the check on 'Hide known extensions' and change the file's name. Then continue the steps
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Dec 2011   #29

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Balon, I tried your registry fix, but when running the second registry file (firewall.reg) it gives me this error:
"Cannot import D:\Downloads\firewall.reg: Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes." I'm afraid a virus may be accessing the registry entries this file is trying to change, but I did a quick scan with the Microsoft Safety Scanner and it only found one infected file and deleted it. I also have Avast! real-time virus protection shields running.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Dec 2011   #30

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bagofsheep View Post
Balon, I tried your registry fix, but when running the second registry file (firewall.reg) it gives me this error:
"Cannot import D:\Downloads\firewall.reg: Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes." I'm afraid a virus may be accessing the registry entries this file is trying to change, but I did a quick scan with the Microsoft Safety Scanner and it only found one infected file and deleted it. I also have Avast! real-time virus protection shields running.
[YOUT********.youtube.com/watch?v=F1bgbYm1W9Q[/YOUTUBE]

Follow that UVK will clean your system
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Unable to start Windows Firewall




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Unable to start Windows Firewall
Thread Forum
Solved Windows Firewall Service unable to activate, SFC scan unable to work System Security
Windows Firewall will not start at all. System Security
Unable to enable windows firewall , error code 0x8007042c System Security
Unable to start the Firewall System Security
Windows Firewall will not start System Security

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33