Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: another virus infiltrated my security essentials


11 Feb 2012   #1

windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
 
 
another virus infiltrated my security essentials

boy this thing has now let 3 viruses over take it. pretty much any virus I've gotten (can't even tell you how on the last one. was doing a search with bing and bam it took over my computer)
this time it was one that is supposed to be already known about.

at first it stopped it from installing but then while it was trying to stop it another instance was allowed to install.

it was easy to remove by doing a system restore and then the security essentials removed it for good. except it hid all of my libraries (videos pics and documents) I thought they were deleted so I started to do run my backup restore and I noticed that the originals were only hidden.

but come on...this is the 3rd time security essentials has let me down. and I never visit porn sites or any of that stuff.



My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 Feb 2012   #2

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
 
 

No antivirus program is 100% immune against Trojans, viruses etc.

With that said it's best to have a recent Image to fall back on.

Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup - Windows 7 Forums

Imaging with free Macrium - Windows 7 Forums

Also, install WOT or McAfee SiteAdvisor to what ever browser your using.
Safe Browsing Tool | WOT (Web of Trust)

McAfee SiteAdvisor Software Website Safety Ratings and Secure Search
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Feb 2012   #3
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Yeah, I had similar problems with MSE. That is why I went back to Norton. MSE is for 'light use'. My wife uses it and never had any problem.

Do what Flatiron says. Images are a much better protection than any AV program. I know guys that do not run any AV program but image every day. That may be a bit steep, but it works for them. Take an image 2 or 3 times per week. Then you are not liable to lose a lot when you set the system back.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


11 Feb 2012   #4

Windows 7 Home premium 64bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by serpentracer View Post
but come on...this is the 3rd time security essentials has let me down. and I never visit porn sites or any of that stuff.
Do you or someone else go on sites and download stuff. The ads,site or the files you download yourself can give you a virus. Need to cautious when going to those type of sites.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Feb 2012   #5

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Yeah, I had similar problems with MSE. That is why I went back to Norton. MSE is for 'light use'.
Same thing happened to me about 9 months ago.

Trying to find Vipre or Norton at a good price before Norton expires in 3 months.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Feb 2012   #6

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult. x64 Windows 8.1 x64 Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Tri-Boot
 
 

Hi,

This trojan is usually installed via download of some rogueware. Its extremely malicious and known to mine your system for personally identifiable information.

Download and run TDSSKiller from here:

How to remove malware belonging to the family Rootkit.Win32.TDSS (aka Tidserv, TDSServ, Alureon)?

Post back what it finds.

Regards,
Golden
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Feb 2012   #7

windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by M1GU31 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by serpentracer View Post
but come on...this is the 3rd time security essentials has let me down. and I never visit porn sites or any of that stuff.
Do you or someone else go on sites and download stuff. The ads,site or the files you download yourself can give you a virus. Need to cautious when going to those type of sites.
nope this is my computer no one else uses. it happened as I was using it. I wasn't even on any crazy website when the attack happened. I was litterally in the bing search results when I got the popup of an attack. this stuff is getting dirty and the a holes making them are getting more and more clever.
you don't even have to click on anything to get one now. they start downloading and installing in teh background without you even knowing. all of windows defenses are useless. none of them work. my system is set on max security after the last attack but that clearly doesn't work. as this one even allowed itself to do everything without interference from windows
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Feb 2012   #8

windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Golden View Post
Hi,

This trojan is usually installed via download of some rogueware. Its extremely malicious and known to mine your system for personally identifiable information.

Download and run TDSSKiller from here:

How to remove malware belonging to the family Rootkit.Win32.TDSS (aka Tidserv, TDSServ, Alureon)?

Post back what it finds.

Regards,
Golden

it returned no threats found. security essentials was able to remove it but it also "allowed" it to install as it was also removing one instance of it. it was crazy how it did it.

I might look into the kapersky stuff. I keep hearing a lot of people say it's the best out there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Feb 2012   #9

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult. x64 Windows 8.1 x64 Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Tri-Boot
 
 

Hi,

If that was the case, we would all have this infection, and no-one would use MSE.

One reason you may continue to have problems is because you haven't been able to clean out the original infection, and it self-replicates. Rootkits are notorius for this. Often, the only fix is to format and do a complete reinstallation.

Run TDSSKiller, and lets see how deep this infection has run.

Regards,
Golden
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Feb 2012   #10

windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Golden View Post
Hi,

If that was the case, we would all have this infection, and no-one would use MSE.

One reason you may continue to have problems is because you haven't been able to clean out the original infection, and it self-replicates. Rootkits are notorius for this. Often, the only fix is to format and do a complete reinstallation.

Run TDSSKiller, and lets see how deep this infection has run.

Regards,
Golden
I did run it. it said no threats found. (i'd make a screenshot but the tdsskiller doesn't show up or with the snipping tool) I'm not having any issues anymore. this was easy to fix. system restore has me all working like new. no issues since and no processes running that are suspicious. (all of them are legit)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 another virus infiltrated my security essentials




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:13 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33