Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Guest Account has Admin folders as shortcuts

08 Jun 2012   #41
Avie

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 
SFC/ security

F5ing Thank you for continued help. Need reinstall and wireless router.

My machine: HP Pavilion a6110n PC. (Old Vista machine.) Computer will be about 12 feet from incoming cable. Also have TV and printer attached to computer.
There is something installed that is not original. The back rail is not the right one. It is installed in the top slot. I only did Memory.

I found a nondestructive-reinstall. Seems a bit easier than on this site.




My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
08 Jun 2012   #42
F5ing

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Avie View Post
F5ing Thank you for continued help. Need reinstall and wireless router.

My machine: HP Pavilion a6110n PC. (Old Vista machine.) Computer will be about 12 feet from incoming cable. Also have TV and printer attached to computer. There is something installed that is not original. The back rail is not the right one. It is installed in the top slot. I only did Memory.

I found a nondestructive-reinstall. Seems a bit easier than on this site.

Your machine has the following expansion ports:
  • One PCI Express x16
  • One PCI Express x1
  • Two PCI
The x16 may contain a graphics card already but it really doesn't matter. You're gonna need a wireless card that will fit either a PCI-e x1 slot or a PCI slot. As some things have already been added to the machine since manufacture, you'll have to open it up to see what slots are free.

12 feet is easily within the range of a wireless router, even with a wall or two in the way.

As far as a nondestructive install is concerned, are you speaking of a repair to the existing install? Where you keep all your personal data and the apps you've installed? If you suspect malware, you're best bet is to start off fresh with a clean install. There's some prep work required to get it done right, but it's worth it if you want to assure yourself that your machine is secure. The tutorials on this site that deal with this are pretty long and detailed, but they contain all the info you need to answer most questions you may have and to get it done right the first time. Kind of like a one-stop shop!

What do you mean by "The back rail is not the right one. It is installed in the top slot"? Could it be your graphics (video) card?

Here's a link for your PC on HP's site:

HP Pavilion a6110n Desktop PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

You can access pictures of your motherboard and use them to ID the type of empty expansion slots.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jun 2012   #43
Avie

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

F5ing,
Good info and site from HP. I do have something installed in the top rail rear of unit that I do not see anything plugged in on the outside. But it is not factory. Will take computer into Geek Squad to identify. When I installed W7 it was a retail disk. Nothing to do with HP. Since then I have not kept up the HP connection. It installed to much HP stuff.

Concerned about best reinstall. I have to try to save my data. Are there easy instructions for back up? Before the clean update reinstall?

If I try to open a document it becomes a locked file. Cannot take ownership or unlock. Only can rename, delete, erase upon reopen.

Of interest: cannot up date IE. Says newer is installed. I cannot find where nor can I use IE for sites I need it for. Network again? Also have 2 Yahoo mail accounts. One regular and other Classic. The change as I am using them.

Cox account showing wrong name for Motorola Surboard modem. Clerical error they say. However Mac address is correct. (modem say something Atlanta Dig5120).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Jun 2012   #44
F5ing

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Avie View Post
Good info and site from HP. I do have something installed in the top rail rear of unit that I do not see anything plugged in on the outside. But it is not factory. Will take computer into Geek Squad to identify. When I installed W7 it was a retail disk. Nothing to do with HP. Since then I have not kept up the HP connection. It installed to much HP stuff.
Take a picture of it (inside the machine) and post it here. Someone here will likely know what it is.

And you're likely better off without all the HP bloat anyway.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Avie View Post
Concerned about best reinstall. I have to try to save my data. Are there easy instructions for back up? Before the clean update reinstall?

If I try to open a document it becomes a locked file. Cannot take ownership or unlock. Only can rename, delete, erase upon reopen.

Of interest: cannot up date IE. Says newer is installed. I cannot find where nor can I use IE for sites I need it for. Network again? Also have 2 Yahoo mail accounts. One regular and other Classic. The change as I am using them.
Reinstall will solve all that. The following two links will help. Based on your description of your problems I would go for the first link and start over fresh. But you've got to be able to copy your personal data to other media if you need to keep it.

Clean Install Windows 7

Repair Install

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Avie View Post
Cox account showing wrong name for Motorola Surboard modem. Clerical error they say. However Mac address is correct. (modem say something Atlanta Dig5120).
If the MAC matched you're likely good. The 5120 number does match a Surfboard model number. Maybe when the account was opened they initially installed with a Scientific Atlanta modem. Just curious, did you try the disconnect test with Cox like I mentioned? That would be pretty much fail-safe confirmation.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jun 2012   #45
Avie

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

F5ing
Can not take pictures. Cox verified good connection on modem. Wish to have help on the back up I need to do before the new system rebuild. Can I mention the Windows Secrets non destructive reinstall? It further mentioned the type of back ups needed. I have never done one. Do have external drive to put data, etc. on. Not as simple as one would think. I will take my computer to shop to discover what is added and let you know. I have way more than I can handle today. Stick with me. YOU are so helpful. WE will succeed!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jun 2012   #46
F5ing

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Avie View Post
F5ing
Can not take pictures. Cox verified good connection on modem. Wish to have help on the back up I need to do before the new system rebuild. Can I mention the Windows Secrets non destructive reinstall? It further mentioned the type of back ups needed. I have never done one. Do have external drive to put data, etc. on. Not as simple as one would think. I will take my computer to shop to discover what is added and let you know. I have way more than I can handle today. Stick with me. YOU are so helpful. WE will succeed!
Are you talking about this: Win7′s no-reformat, nondestructive reinstall?

I don't see where it mentions anything about backup "type", only that a backup should be done. And although that method of restore should "work", I was more worried about malware and such on your PC, based on info of problems you've already posted. So I was thinking more along the lines of backup data, wipe OS, restore OS, restore data.

To avoid me having to go back through this whole thread, can you answer as to whether or not you've done a sfc /scannow?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jun 2012   #47
Avie

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Yes that is the article. Seems easy. No ISO disc. .very thorough info on backups also. I did not know there was so much to do for a good back up.

You could help with this forum. How are you adding the quotes to our threads. I never know where to start an answer. Today I do not see muti or any other choices to click on.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jun 2012   #48
Avie

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

[QUOTE=F5ing;1963230]
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Avie View Post
F5ing
Can not take pictures. Cox verified good connection on modem. Wish to have help on the back up I need to do before the new system rebuild. Can I mention the Windows Secrets non destructive reinstall? It further mentioned the type of back ups needed. I have never done one. Do have external drive to put data, etc. on. Not as simple as one would think. I will take my computer to shop to discover what is added and let you know. I have way more than I can handle today. Stick with me. YOU are so helpful. WE will succeed!
Are you talking about this: Win7′s no-reformat, nondestructive reinstall?

I don't see where it mentions anything about backup "type", only that a backup should be done. And although that method of restore should "work", I was more worried about malware and such on your PC, based on info of problems you've already posted. So I was thinking more along the lines of backup data, wipe OS, restore OS, restore data.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jun 2012   #49
Avie

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

F5ing, I did many Sfc/scannows. There is missing functions everywhere they have been. IE my music is gone in Media Center and I cannot turn off the sync function. I will try to send another shot of an area I had not explored before and it my be causing alot of my problems. More later.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jun 2012   #50
F5ing

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

If I were in your situation, based on how I read what you've posted, I would use a bootable CD/DVD/USB flash drive to copy all my personal user data from the hard disk, and then wipe the disk clean and install w7 all over again.

To do that you have to know where your data exists in the folder structure on the disk. If you don't know how to do that I think the next most reliable way would be using w7 backup. It would be ideal to copy these backups to a separate removable hard drive.

Do you think you can be successful in creating a backup of your personal user data?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Guest Account has Admin folders as shortcuts




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
why is my guest account the only admin user?
I have six user accounts on my PC, i have a big family, but one of them can't login because "The Group Policy Client service failed to logon. Access denied" error message pops up and we are sure the password is correct. Also the guest account does not have a password it just logs in and takes a...
General Discussion
Admin login from XP gets Win7 Guest account?
I have two computers on an in-home LAN, one running XP Pro, the other Win 7 Pro. When I log into win7 from XP, I enter the Win7 "Administrator" name and password (none at this time). But the (Compute > Manage >...) "Session" shown on Win7 shows a Guest account being used. Why is this? (The...
Network & Sharing
Need To Disable Guest Account On Admin Account
My friend and I share my laptop. Recently I found out that he was watching porn on my computer. So I promptly confronted him, and told him to stop. Weeks later, he did it again. So I downloaded Norton's Safety Minder to prevent it. So this sneaky prick goes around and enables the guest account, and...
General Discussion
Preventing Guest from accessing Admin account
Hi there, I have setup a guest account on Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit and noticed that after logging in to the guest account, I am able to access my own account folder (admin account). This is wierd as this should not happen. Any user logged in to the guest account should not be able to see the...
System Security
Program won't open unless run as admin from guest account
Hey, so no matter what I try, I can't get the program Miro to open in my actual account. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling multiple versions of the program, but none of them will actually open. The only thing that has worked is by running it as an admin from the guest account, however, all...
Software
Problems with guest account set to Admin
Hey, I am really frustrated. I suggested that on my grandmother's computer that there was a user account and an admin account. Ok, fine, but when I got there to update windows and other programs I found out that the Admin account they set up was not a user account but the guest account. I logged...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:20.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App