|25 Apr 2012||#1|
| || |
Microsoft Security Essentials, Windows Defender Offline Beta problems
Yesterday, I downloaded and ran the Windows Defender Offline Beta. The tool discovered six viruses:
After I removed these threats, Microsoft Security Essentials disappeared, and I could not reinstall it. I was getting Error Code: 0X80070643. I did not have this problem with the Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper. There are many threads here on updating, installing, uninstalling, and reinstalling MSE and Windows Defender. So I thought I'd spell out what worked for me to reinstall MSE again successfully.
1. I uninstalled Java and all its associated files and registry entries with Revo.
2. I downloaded and reinstalled Java from its web site.
3. I applied MSIEXEC /REGSERVER.
4. In Services, I stopped and disabled Windows Defender.
5. Just to be sure, I also used the Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter to uninstall Microsoft Malware protection.
6. I performed a full scan with Malwarebytes Antimalware.
7. I ran CCleaner and its registry cleaner.
8. I ran the Glary Utilities register cleaner.
9. I downloaded and then successfully installed MSE.
There are steps here that I may not have needed to take. Nevertheless, I'm a happy camper now, having successfully reinstalled MSE.
|My System Specs|
|Similar help and support threads for2: Microsoft Security Essentials, Windows Defender Offline Beta problems|
|Microsoft releases Windows Defender Offline Beta.||Security News|
|Microsoft Security Essentials Beta Now Available to Download||Security News|
|Microsoft Security Essentials 1.0 and 2.0 Disable Windows Defender||News|
|Microsoft Security Essentials BETA||System Security|
|Microsoft Security Essentials Beta Program||News|
|Microsoft Security Essentials 1.0 Beta?||System Security|
|Microsoft Security Essentials BETA, suspended||News|