Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Quick Heal - a question.

26 Apr 2012   #1
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit SP 1
 
 
Quick Heal - a question.

Today I attached my pendrive in a computer with QuickHeal installed. That pendrive was virus infected earlier, but I cleaned it up , folling Corrine's guidance as per the thread Whit is Link Runner virus ? .

When I took it out with me, I scanned it with Avast free and malwarebytes, no threat was there at all. But QuickHeal detected 47 viruses and trojans ... within a few seconds Actually that pendrive contained 3 word documents only.

I want to ask, what is the matter ? Who is right ?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Apr 2012   #2

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

First make sure that your system is not set to autorun a usb stick.

Next use WDO to check the stick.

Link to WDO in my signature.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Apr 2012   #3
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit SP 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by karlsnooks View Post
First make sure that your system is not set to autorun a usb stick.

Next use WDO to check the stick.

Link to WDO in my signature.
Karl, I followed your instructions, in my laptop , using the usb stick. No threat is found. Maybe due to the reason that QuickHeal killed all the 47 threats ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


26 Apr 2012   #4

Winbdows 7 ultimate x64 | Ubuntu 12.04 x64 LTS
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arc View Post
Today I attached my pendrive in a computer with QuickHeal installed. That pendrive was virus infected earlier, but I cleaned it up , folling Corrine's guidance as per the thread Whit is Link Runner virus ? .

When I took it out with me, I scanned it with Avast free and malwarebytes, no threat was there at all. But QuickHeal detected 47 viruses and trojans ... within a few seconds Actually that pendrive contained 3 word documents only.

I want to ask, what is the matter ? Who is right ?
Regarding the sudden appearance of 47 threats by quickheal, its quite natural. Often times, these reside in randomly named hidden folders in the form of multiple exe's.
I saw it when i inserted an infected pendrive to my linux box.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Apr 2012   #5

Winbdows 7 ultimate x64 | Ubuntu 12.04 x64 LTS
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arc View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by karlsnooks View Post
First make sure that your system is not set to autorun a usb stick.

Next use WDO to check the stick.

Link to WDO in my signature.
Karl, I followed your instructions, in my laptop , using the usb stick. No threat is found. Maybe due to the reason that QuickHeal killed all the 47 threats ?
Very likely its all clean now.
You can do an online scan too with Eset or Kaspersky. But that'd be an overkill though.
Now, if only someone could merge my this and the previous post? I'm currently typing this from my cell and multiquote doesn't work on it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Apr 2012   #6

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

More likely is that quickheal is detecting non-existent malware.

Be sure to run WDO over your entire computer.

I do not expect WDO to find anything, but with scareware, I'm always cautious.

Microsoft has released the latest version of MSE. I use, and only use, MSE. The only AV that I install or recommend. Link to MSE in my signature.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Apr 2012   #7

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

Online scan, and Microsoft also offers an excellent one, are never to be preferred over an offline approach.

Online means that malware in your boot sector or other hiding locations is already running when you run the online scan. Smart malware detects your online scanner.

With an offline approach, you have booted from an external device which creates a ram disk and runs from within the ram disk. Thus you malware has not been started and is unaware that cleaning software is running.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Apr 2012   #8

Winbdows 7 ultimate x64 | Ubuntu 12.04 x64 LTS
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by karlsnooks View Post
Online scan, and Microsoft also offers an excellent one, are never to be preferred over an offline approach.

Online means that malware in your boot sector or other hiding locations is already running when you run the online scan. Smart malware detects your online scanner.

With an offline approach, you have booted from an external device which creates a ram disk and runs from within the ram disk. Thus you malware has not been started and is unaware that cleaning software is running.
I know that Carl and that's why i said him that it'd be an overkill. Its just for his satisfaction.
Eventhough, thanks for pointing that out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Apr 2012   #9
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit SP 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by EzioAuditore View Post

Regarding the sudden appearance of 47 threats by quickheal, its quite natural. Often times, these reside in randomly named hidden folders in the form of multiple exe's.
I saw it when i inserted an infected pendrive to my linux box.
Ezio, it was a full formatted pendrive, only three word documents were copied to it just in this morning . It made me very strange wherefrom those 47 came. Avast and MBAM says my system is totally free from any risk, as the WDO saying ATM .

That quick heal installed computer is of my supervisor's office computer, and he scolded me for using infected drives
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by karlsnooks View Post
More likely is that quickheal is detecting non-existent malware.
I also thought the same. I wish I will get the full proof in the next Wednesday ... when I will meet him again. But he will not believe my point, I know !
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Apr 2012   #10

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

It's your call, but I would be insistent that the offending party is QuickHeal.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Quick Heal - a question.




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Quick Heal - a question.
Thread Forum
Quick question Chillout Room
*quick PDF question* Software
Quick question General Discussion
Quick question... Installation & Setup
Quick Quick Question :D Installation & Setup
Quick Heal wins its 28th VB100% award System Security
Quick Question Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33