Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: I'm not sure what is going on, virus, malware etc etc

16 May 2012   #1
Aintrite

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
I'm not sure what is going on, virus, malware etc etc

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Ok So I thought I had a virus because my computer started running slow and programs started to not respond often. So I go to run my Avast, Malwarebytes, and AdAware and they are all turned off. So I said ok I'll just start in safe mode and run these. So each one found something different and I thought I was all good. Now what happens is that when I leave my browser (Firefox) on for any amount of time without using it, my computer runs SUPER slow and most programs won't even respond. I downloaded HouseCall from TrendMicro to see if it could find anything and it says my computer is clean. The funny with running any of these is that they never finish (the anti virus programs) unless I am running in safe mode. Anyone have any ideas? I can furnish more info if needed.

Also I made a back up of all my things but I got to thinking if there is something wrong won't that back up the virus or whatever it is also?

Another thing I forgot to add was that when I try a search from my home page (Yahoo) it returns the wrong websites. Say I put in Windows 7 forums. The next page would be a list of websites but when I click on one of those sites it either takes me some other type of search engine or some type of sales site. This doesn't happen when I use Internet Explorer. I have uninstalled Firefox and re installed it and it does the same thing. If I type the address directly into the address bar there are no problems though.

This is really starting to frustrate me, I'm on the verge of reformatting and hitting it with dban.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 May 2012   #2
wanchoo

Windows 7 Pro with SP1 32bit
 
 

Welcome to the Seven Forums, Aintrite.

From your message your Computer seems badly compromised due to malware/viruses. To save yourself hours of labour trying to rectify the computer, you should reformat the hard disk and then clean reinstall Windows 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 May 2012   #3
Aintrite

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

So what about my backup I have saved. Do you think that is compromised also.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 May 2012   #4
elstupido

win 7 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Aintrite View Post
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Ok So I thought I had a virus because my computer started running slow and programs started to not respond often. So I go to run my Avast, Malwarebytes, and AdAware and they are all turned off. So I said ok I'll just start in safe mode and run these. So each one found something different and I thought I was all good. Now what happens is that when I leave my browser (Firefox) on for any amount of time without using it, my computer runs SUPER slow and most programs won't even respond. I downloaded HouseCall from TrendMicro to see if it could find anything and it says my computer is clean. The funny with running any of these is that they never finish (the anti virus programs) unless I am running in safe mode. Anyone have any ideas? I can furnish more info if needed.

Also I made a back up of all my things but I got to thinking if there is something wrong won't that back up the virus or whatever it is also?

Another thing I forgot to add was that when I try a search from my home page (Yahoo) it returns the wrong websites. Say I put in Windows 7 forums. The next page would be a list of websites but when I click on one of those sites it either takes me some other type of search engine or some type of sales site. This doesn't happen when I use Internet Explorer. I have uninstalled Firefox and re installed it and it does the same thing. If I type the address directly into the address bar there are no problems though.

This is really starting to frustrate me, I'm on the verge of reformatting and hitting it with dban.
1- Avast and Adaware maybe conflicting, so get rid of adaware or avast.
2-SAS and Malwarebytes should be on demand free versions only, or they maybe conflicting also.
3-Add Sandboxie to whatever A/V you want and worry no more
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 May 2012   #5
wanchoo

Windows 7 Pro with SP1 32bit
 
 

If the back-up probably an image, was prepared after the trouble started then it is in all likelihood also infected.

Incidentally Avast and Adware perform separate and mutually exclusive functions and are never in conflict.

Why fool around just to check up. Go ahead clean install.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Aintrite View Post
So what about my backup I have saved. Do you think that is compromised also.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 May 2012   #6
Aintrite

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I have an external hard drive that I use for my backup.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 May 2012   #7
elstupido

win 7 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wanchoo View Post
If the back-up probably an image, was prepared after the trouble started then it is in all likelihood also infected.

Incidentally Avast and Adware perform separate and mutually exclusive functions and are never in conflict.

Why fool around just to check up. Go ahead clean install.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Aintrite View Post
So what about my backup I have saved. Do you think that is compromised also.
Avast and Ad-Aware are both A/Vs performing the same tasks. Which means if they are not conflicting now, they will eventually.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 May 2012   #8
Aintrite

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

So, do you guys think that my external hard drive backup will be infected also? The reason I ask is that i have a bunch of semi important things that i need on this backup.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 May 2012   #9
Borg 386

Win 7 32 Home Premium, Win 7 64 Pro, Win 8.1 Pro
 
 

As was mentioned by wanchoo, if you did this backup before the problems started, it's probably OK. If you did it after the problems started, you more then likely transferred the virus to the external drive and the recommended course would be to wipe both drives.

If you do need to wipe both drives, you need to migrate whatever personal files you wish to save to another external HD/USB/DVD R. After reinstalling Windows and installing an AV, make sure to scan your saved files thoroughly before putting them back on the PC to insure you don't introduce the virus back onto the system
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 May 2012   #10
Aintrite

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Thanks for all of the help guys. I went ahead and reformatted but before I did that I hit my internal drive with DBAN so as to wipe the drive totally clean. I put the rest of my files and such on a usb drive and cleaned my external drive with DBAN also. I think I'll stick around the site and learn some things about 7 too.

Thanks again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 I'm not sure what is going on, virus, malware etc etc




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BLKPURE Virus? Malware? Help
Hi A user in my company had opened an attachment from an unknown sender. it was on a .zip file. after he opened the file. almost all his files was replace a .blkpure extension,,, is this somewhat kind of virus? kindly advice please.
System Security
How do I remove this virus/malware url?
I tried programs and features and search, but came up empty. It constantly shows up in Firefox and Chrome ...
System Security
Russian Malware Virus
BBC News - Russian Evgeniy Bogachev sought over cybercrime botnet ... read more http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/02/cryptolocker-virus-nca-malware-protection
Security News
Suspected Malware or Virus
I am running Windows Premium 7 Home Edition and have the paid version of Kapersky installed and running. I have been trying to install Super Anti Spy to get an independent scan of my computer as I am having problems. Every time I try to download, I get the screen as shown in the attached. Can...
System Security
Virus, Malware Removal
There is no software that can replace the excellent excellent help that is available at the SevenForums, but it is always good to be able to try and help ourselves in the event of a crisis. I have had this article for quite a while in my favorites and decided to share with all that care to take the...
System Security
Virus/Malware/Registry
What are the best current (FREE) Spyware,Registry and Virus software. When I took a break from my IT profession it was spybot and cc cleaner what is the top ones nowadays? Thanks
System Security

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:07.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App