Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: is this a hack?


25 May 2012   #1

 
is this a hack?

hi, i'm not sure that this is the correct section for this topic... if not, please move it to the correct one...

Today I played Generals Zero Hour online on my secondary PC... after a player cheated, in the game's chat appeared some strange messages... They were like courses of folders in my PC... like C/WINDOWS/system32/...

the messages appeared a lot of times in a moment...
Is this a hack?
(actually i don't have an anti-virus on this pc because it would slow the system...)

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 May 2012   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Typically it's very difficult for a player to connect to another player through the game like that as everything has to pass through the game server itself.

I don't have any experience with the particular game you are talking about though.
It's possible his exploit caused your system to produce some 'file not found' results because you did not have the exploit as well.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 May 2012   #3

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
(actually i don't have an anti-virus on this pc because it would slow the system...)
Not necessarily. You could install Microsoft Security Essentials (lightweight) and disable scheduled scans. update it and full scan once with it to see if you have viruses. If you would rather not install it, run this tool to check for viruses without any installs: Microsoft Safety Scanner - Antivirus | Remove Spyware, Malware, Viruses Free
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


25 May 2012   #4

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DustSailor View Post
Not necessarily. You could install Microsoft Security Essentials (lightweight) and disable scheduled scans. update it and full scan once with it to see if you have viruses.
i tried it... it really slowed down this PC! What about COMODO/Avira/AVG antivirus? Which one is really smart and light?


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maguscreed View Post
Typically it's very difficult for a player to connect to another player through the game like that as everything has to pass through the game server itself.

I don't have any experience with the particular game you are talking about though.
It's possible his exploit caused your system to produce some 'file not found' results because you did not have the exploit as well.
ok... so I shouldn't worry..?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 May 2012   #5

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
 
 

MSE is one of the most lightweight I have ever come across. Remember that you never should have two antiviruses installed at the same time, and you should always use an antivirus removal tool to remove previous antiviruses because the traces left behind from one could conflict with another installed antivirus. That may have been the problem, though I am not sure. If you don't want to install it, try the tool I gave you (second link in last post) to check real quick for any viruses.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 May 2012   #6

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Overall I don't think this specific thing is a problem, you really should find a antivirus you are comfortable with though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 May 2012   #7

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maguscreed View Post
Overall I don't think this specific thing is a problem, you really should find a antivirus you are comfortable with though.
i need a light antivirus... MSE uses a lot of my Pentium 4 resources and slows down all the system... I tried it before I decided to completly restore my OS...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 May 2012   #8

win 7 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maguscreed View Post
Overall I don't think this specific thing is a problem, you really should find a antivirus you are comfortable with though.
i need a light antivirus... MSE uses a lot of my Pentium 4 resources and slows down all the system... I tried it before I decided to completly restore my OS...
Immunet free is as light as it gets.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2012   #9

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by elstupido View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maguscreed View Post
Overall I don't think this specific thing is a problem, you really should find a antivirus you are comfortable with though.
i need a light antivirus... MSE uses a lot of my Pentium 4 resources and slows down all the system... I tried it before I decided to completly restore my OS...
Immunet free is as light as it gets.
ok, today i will try it thank you
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 is this a hack?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: is this a hack?
Thread Forum
What is going on? Can this person hack me? Network & Sharing
Hotmail hack? Browsers & Mail
Anyone ever heard of SLI hack? Graphic Cards
Solved Post thank you hack Chillout Room
Solved Ip Hack Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:23 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33