Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Moved into Dorms want to protect computer

21 Sep 2009   #11
netguysc

windows 7
 
 

Here is a great site pertaining to computer security

mechBgon's guide for first-time PC builders... Best practices for ongoing security


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
21 Sep 2009   #12
Jacee
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by netguysc View Post
An excellent guide
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Sep 2009   #13
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Hey, saw this thread, thought it would be useful for me as I will be doing this next year (holy sh*t I'm going to college!)

I have an extra wireless N router (the wireless is touchy) that my dad replaced. I am planning on bringing that and using it as a firewall. Of course, I also have three computers I will be taking....

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Sep 2009   #14
TheSchaft

Windows 7 x64 HP, Windows 7 HP, Windows 7 Ult
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
Hey, saw this thread, thought it would be useful for me as I will be doing this next year (holy sh*t I'm going to college!)

I have an extra wireless N router (the wireless is touchy) that my dad replaced. I am planning on bringing that and using it as a firewall. Of course, I also have three computers I will be taking....

~Lordbob
Remember to set the MAC addresses of your computers in the router so that they are the only ones that can connect, and set the SSID to no broadcast.

Of course it goes without saying that you have changed the default router password, right?

P.S. - Where are you going to college? (Some folks here may have some helpful advice on things to do/not do, although my advice is that you only regret what you didn't do... )
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Sep 2009   #15
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TheSchaft View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
Hey, saw this thread, thought it would be useful for me as I will be doing this next year (holy sh*t I'm going to college!)

I have an extra wireless N router (the wireless is touchy) that my dad replaced. I am planning on bringing that and using it as a firewall. Of course, I also have three computers I will be taking....

~Lordbob
Remember to set the MAC addresses of your computers in the router so that they are the only ones that can connect, and set the SSID to no broadcast.

Of course it goes without saying that you have changed the default router password, right?

P.S. - Where are you going to college? (Some folks here may have some helpful advice on things to do/not do, although my advice is that you only regret what you didn't do... )
Indeed I did and will. I will not be using Wireless much, and the Pass will be super secured (30+ random digit code for both SSID pass, and router admin stuff).

Right now, I am taking one class (during high school) at Arizona State University. I want to go to Cal Poly next year though.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Sep 2009   #16
TheSchaft

Windows 7 x64 HP, Windows 7 HP, Windows 7 Ult
 
 

Cal Poly SLO? Oh, man! That school rocks - good teachers, great computer geeks, and some very beautiful people. You WILL enjoy...

Ummmm... How do you plan to remember a 30+ random character password? (I use a yellow sticky on the monitor myself )
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Sep 2009   #17
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TheSchaft View Post
Cal Poly SLO? Oh, man! That school rocks - good teachers, great computer geeks, and some very beautiful people. You WILL enjoy...

Ummmm... How do you plan to remember a 30+ random character password? (I use a yellow sticky on the monitor myself )
Write it down. lol.

Yeah, thats the place. Love the staff, love the area, love the school.

Actually, at one point I did have a 25+ character password (all randomly generated) memorized....

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Sep 2009   #18
R0am3r

Windows 7 RTM
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TheSchaft View Post
Remember to set the MAC addresses of your computers in the router so that they are the only ones that can connect, and set the SSID to no broadcast.
This works for the average person, but is a speed bump for others. MAC addresses can be spoofed and SSIDs are visible to tools like Kismet, etc. I prefer good old WPA2 with a strong key.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Sep 2009   #19
TheSchaft

Windows 7 x64 HP, Windows 7 HP, Windows 7 Ult
 
 

You memorized a random 25 character password? OK, now that is sick

I taught a one day class there on computer security about 10 years ago, and I still remember some of the folks I saw on the campus. I would have forgotten the password in a heart beat.

Anyways, enjoy your time there or wherever you go. You've done a heck of a lot here, and I expect we have not heard the last of "Lord Bob".
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Sep 2009   #20
TheSchaft

Windows 7 x64 HP, Windows 7 HP, Windows 7 Ult
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by R0am3r View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TheSchaft View Post
Remember to set the MAC addresses of your computers in the router so that they are the only ones that can connect, and set the SSID to no broadcast.
This works for the average person, but is a speed bump for others. MAC addresses can be spoofed and SSIDs are visible to tools like Kismet, etc. I prefer good old WPA2 with a strong key.
I suspect that Lordbob will set that, and memorize the key...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Moved into Dorms want to protect computer




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
protect my computer from others on my network
So on my network at home there are a few others connected to it and i wanted to know how i would go about making it so they cannot access my shared docs or computer at all over the network without a password but i dont know how to go about doing this. Can anyone help me do this?
Network & Sharing
Activate Win 7 Moved From Dead Computer?
A customer of mine had an Acer computer that died with a bad motherboard. It had a Windows 7 Professional license under Prod Part# X15-39685, Prod Key: xxxxx-xxx-xxxxxx-85817. We don’t know whether this was a full (transportable to another computer) or OEM license. Meanwhile, to get the customer...
Windows Updates & Activation
Drivers for a game controller moved to new computer won't register
I recently plugged in a gamepad I had used on my old (vista) computer. Windows installed drivers that sort of worked but weren't as functional as my old ones. I copied the gamepad's DLL/instal folder over to this (7) computer and tried to register the dlls. Regsvr32 gave me the error: The module...
Drivers
How should I upgrade my computer? [MOVED]
SPEC Motherboard EVGA nForce 750i SLI (Socket 775) CPU Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz Memory 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz (5-5-5-18) 4. Case Antec 300 Versatile Mini Tower Power supply
Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:19.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App