Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Virus - Access denied - H:\system volume information


25 Mar 2013   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Virus - Access denied - H:\system volume information

Access denied - H:\system volume information,

I’m confronting serious problem due the virus that

1. Hides folders
2. Generate shortcuts

Through the search in the web, none of the solutions could remove this virus!

According to one of the advices, the hidden file on a particular hard drive can be shown by applying the command

F:\>attrib –s –h *.* /s /d

I tried it, But it ended up with (also attached):

Access denied - H:\system volume information,


What might be the issue here?

I don’t know the use of the antivirus software! They do nothing! Nothing at all


Thank you

Best

Jamal



Attached Thumbnails
Virus - Access denied - H:\system volume information-clip_635.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Mar 2013   #2

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Jamal NUMAN,

Let's see if we can get to the root of the problem...

Please download RogueKiller:
Tlcharger RogueKiller (Site Officiel)

When you get to the website, go to where it says:
(Download link) Lien de téléchargement:
Select the version that applies to your system: x64.
Click the dark-blue button that applies.
Save to the Desktop

Close all windows and browsers

Right-click RogueKiller and select: Run as Administrator

Press: SCAN

When done, a report opens on the Desktop: RKreport.txt

Please provide the RKreport.txt (Mode: Scan) in your reply.
(Please do not delete anything!)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Mar 2013   #3

 

System Volume Information folder is NOT a virus. This folder stores Windows System Restore points.

This folder is inaccessible to the user by default. There's no trouble with it. Leave it alone.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


29 Mar 2013   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nilank View Post
System Volume Information folder is NOT a virus. This folder stores Windows System Restore points.

This folder is inaccessible to the user by default. There's no trouble with it. Leave it alone.

Many thanks nilank for the answer,

My issue here is not the “System Volume Information”

I wanted to remove the virus that:

1. Hides folders
2. creates shortcuts for all folder in the root drive (flash)

This is what I’m looking a solution for!

Best

Jamal
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Mar 2013   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Jamal NUMAN,

Go back to Post #2, and use RogueKiller.

Quote:
I wanted to remove the virus that:

1. Hides folders
2. creates shortcuts for all folder in the root drive (flash)
Removing that virus is what RogueKiller does.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Mar 2013   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nilank View Post

Thanks nilank,

I tried several anti-virus software but they just do nothing! Nothing at all.

Best

Jamal
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Mar 2013   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cottonball View Post
Jamal NUMAN,

Go back to Post #2, and use RogueKiller.

Quote:
I wanted to remove the virus that:

1. Hides folders
2. creates shortcuts for all folder in the root drive (flash)
Removing that virus is what RogueKiller does.
Many thanks cottonball for the help,

I couldn’t figure out what does this software do?

1. I clicked scan! But couldn’t know which drive is being scanned! There is no option to choose the target drive!

2. I got result and report (attached)

3. Should I click “delete”?

In this case, do I get rid of

1. Shortcuts created by the virus?
2. Are folders unhidden?


By the way, what is the name of this virus (that creates shortcuts and hides folders)?

Thanks

Best

Jamal


Attached Thumbnails
Virus - Access denied - H:\system volume information-clip_698.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: txt RKreport[2]_S_03302013_02d0900.txt (2.0 KB, 7 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Mar 2013   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Is the F:\ drive the drive with the problem?

Is the F:\ drive a USB flash drive, fixed disk, or an external hard disc drive?

Try the following once again:

Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt

When you get to the Command Prompt, right-click, and select: Run as Administrator

At the blinking cursor of the Command Prompt type in the following text inside the code box (do not use the word 'code'):
You can copy/paste the text, only if you use the mouse to hilite, then Copy, and Paste. Do not use the keyboard to Copy > Paste)

Code:
attrib -h -s -r -a /s /d F:\*.*
Press: Enter (on the keyboard)

Check drive F:\

Post back.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Mar 2013   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cottonball View Post
Is the F:\ drive the drive with the problem?

Is the F:\ drive a USB flash drive, fixed disk, or an external hard disc drive?

Try the following once again:

Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt

When you get to the Command Prompt, right-click, and select: Run as Administrator

At the blinking cursor of the Command Prompt type in the following text inside the code box (do not use the word 'code'):
You can copy/paste the text, only if you use the mouse to hilite, then Copy, and Paste. Do not use the keyboard to Copy > Paste)

Code:
attrib -h -s -r -a /s /d F:\*.*
Press: Enter (on the keyboard)

Check drive F:\

Post back.

Many thanks cottonball for the prompt help and support,

· Correct, the F is my external hard drive
· I followed the instruction that you have already supplied but sounds not to work. I got the same message (attached) despite the fact that it is run as administrator.

By the way, I couldn’t figure out

1. What does the RogueKillerX64.exe do?
2. What does the “attrib -h -s -r -a /s /d F:\*.*”

At the end of the day,

Do they

1. Unhide the hidden folders
2. Delete the shortcuts of the folders?
3. Kill the virus itself?

Best

Jamal


Attached Thumbnails
Virus - Access denied - H:\system volume information-clip_708.jpg   Virus - Access denied - H:\system volume information-clip_709.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Virus - Access denied - H:\system volume information




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Virus - Access denied - H:\system volume information
Thread Forum
External disk -folders not visible -access denied system volume info General Discussion
Access denied storage volume 4 Installation & Setup
Solved How to remove $Recycle.Bin and System Volume Information virus? General Discussion
Removing System Volume Information virus with $recycle bin System Security
Solved Sanitizing & access denied to System Volume Information Performance & Maintenance
System Volume Information 109 GB !! General Discussion
System Volume Information Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33