Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: MSE system requirements


04 Apr 2013   #1

WIN7 x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 
MSE system requirements

Hi All, I am exploring the possibility of trying Microsoft Security Essentials, and notice in the system requirements that the prefered browsers are either IE V6 or later, and Firefox V2 or later. Does this mean that other browsers aren't compatible? I find it hard to believe that Microsoft would confine communication to two browsers, but I thought I'd ask here. At the moment, Chrome is my default browser and Cyberfox is my standby. If you are or have been a user, what is your opinion of it? Thanks for any input in advance.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Apr 2013   #2

Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Right, but having Windows 7 you will have some form of Internet Explorer lying around in the shell.
It will work and run fine. You've looked in to the system requirements a bit too much.

I have MSE or "Windows Defender" stock standard with Windows 8 and I have only manually used it once, but my understanding is that it is the most efficient and reliable anti-malware available.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Apr 2013   #3

WIN7 x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LuzTeTT View Post
Right, but having Windows 7 you will have some form of Internet Explorer lying around in the shell.
It will work and run fine. You've looked in to the system requirements a bit too much.

I have MSE or "Windows Defender" stock standard with Windows 8 and I have only manually used it once, but my understanding is that it is the most efficient and reliable anti-malware available.
Yes, I do have IE10 installed but don't use it. Just having it is what's required? What browser do you use?
I had Windows defender included and activated by default on my new computer. I never saw it do anything the whole time I had it activated, so I rendered it disabled. MSE isn't the same thing as Defender is it?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


04 Apr 2013   #4

Windows 8 Pro (32-bit)
 
 

Honestly? i've never seen MSE do anything that required a browser. I think it's just requiring something with a half-decent rendering engine, so Chrome or whatever should be fine (it's not an exhaustive list)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Apr 2013   #5

Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Heyyou View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LuzTeTT View Post
Right, but having Windows 7 you will have some form of Internet Explorer lying around in the shell.
It will work and run fine. You've looked in to the system requirements a bit too much.

I have MSE or "Windows Defender" stock standard with Windows 8 and I have only manually used it once, but my understanding is that it is the most efficient and reliable anti-malware available.
Yes, I do have IE10 installed but don't use it. Just having it is what's required? What browser do you use?
I had Windows defender included and activated by default on my new computer. I never saw it do anything the whole time I had it activated, so I rendered it disabled. MSE isn't the same thing as Defender is it?
System requirements will state if something more than having it is required. I use Mozilla Firefox Nightly.
On top of the above post, I will add that it doesn't really matter. If you run in to problems with MSE then what you have done to disable IE10 might have damaged your OS, but I don't think you will in to any problems with MSE.

As it says on the website if you have Windows Defender on Windows 8 then you pretty much have MSE, but if you don't have Windows 8 then installing MSE will give you the missing functionality that Windows 8's Windows Defender performs.

They're different things on different systems. I assume you have Windows 7 so you should install MSE unless you're confident in your ability to not execute malware on your computer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Apr 2013   #6

WIN7 x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LuzTeTT View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Heyyou View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LuzTeTT View Post
Right, but having Windows 7 you will have some form of Internet Explorer lying around in the shell.
It will work and run fine. You've looked in to the system requirements a bit too much.

I have MSE or "Windows Defender" stock standard with Windows 8 and I have only manually used it once, but my understanding is that it is the most efficient and reliable anti-malware available.
Yes, I do have IE10 installed but don't use it. Just having it is what's required? What browser do you use?
I had Windows defender included and activated by default on my new computer. I never saw it do anything the whole time I had it activated, so I rendered it disabled. MSE isn't the same thing as Defender is it?
System requirements will state if something more than having it is required. I use Mozilla Firefox Nightly.
On top of the above post, I will add that it doesn't really matter. If you run in to problems with MSE then what you have done to disable IE10 might have damaged your OS, but I don't think you will in to any problems with MSE.

As it says on the website if you have Windows Defender on Windows 8 then you pretty much have MSE, but if you don't have Windows 8 then installing MSE will give you the missing functionality that Windows 8's Windows Defender performs.

They're different things on different systems. I assume you have Windows 7 so you should install MSE unless you're confident in your ability to not execute malware on your computer.
Thanks for your response. I didn't disable IE10, I just don't use it, preferring FF or Chrome. At the present time I'm using Avast Pro, and just looking for alternatives so I'm not without protection.
If you are using MSE, how do you like its performance? Is it doing the job and do they update definitions as they promise?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Apr 2013   #7

Windows 8.1 Pro + Windows 10
 
 

I have used mse for a few years. I use it with chrome. I have never had any issues. As far as updating it does it on it's own and windows update also throws in the updates.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Apr 2013   #8

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

You can install MSE using any browser I have tried. I do recommend using I.E.
I have no charts, graphs, or websites to prove this is best.
MSE is Microsoft and I.E. is Microsoft and they do play will together for such things.
I always keep I.E. as my default browser but I use it seldom. Doing this hurts nothing and behind the scene it just might help with anything concerning Windows 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Apr 2013   #9

WIN7 x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

OK thanks to all for the info. I'll put MSE on my short list.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Apr 2013   #10

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

If it matters MSE is one of the security programs I use and it works well.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 MSE system requirements




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: MSE system requirements
Thread Forum
Solved System requirements for NVidia GTX580? Graphic Cards
Solved Does my system meet minimum requirements?? General Discussion
System Requirements General Discussion
Splinter Cell: Conviction system requirements Gaming
Office 2010 System Requirements News
does not meet the system requirements?? Hardware & Devices
Windows 7 System Requirements General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33