Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: !!UAC!! "File Access Denied" Even with admin, as owner, and permission


02 May 2013   #1

Win 7 Ultimate 32bit, Windows XP Professional, Backtrack 5 linux.
 
 
!!UAC!! "File Access Denied" Even with admin, as owner, and permission

First off, I wasn't sure where the best place to post this would be, since UAC is supposed to be a security feature of windows 7 I figured the security section would be best. My apologies if I posted this in the wrong section.

OK to the problem...

Trying to simply copy/paste a game dll file from a folder on a virtual(.iso) drive to a folder on my main drive. I get the error window titled, "File Access Denied" with the following:

"You need permission to perform this action

You require permission from Everyone to make changes to this file"
_________________________________________________________

Strange thing is this, I also have this same dll file in another folder on my main drive, but I get the same message with the permission requirement coming from my own user name.

Like in the title of my post I have taken ownership of all folders/files in question, am using the only admin account on this machine, and have given my username "full control" permissions over said files/folders. Also for troubleshooting purposes I have disabled UAC completely and still get the error message.

One thing I will add that just came to mind which may of some help. When I had installed Windows 7 on this machine I was married and had 1 user account that my wife and i used. We split up and she had the computer for a while. She changed the computers name and changed the username/s. When I got it back from her I re-changed the computer name and also the username/s to different ones.

I hope all of this information is useful and thank all in advance for any help extended in my direction.

FIN

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 May 2013   #2
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1
 
 

Best thing to do is a "clean" re-installation.... if the computer is your's now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 May 2013   #3

Win 7 Ultimate 32bit, Windows XP Professional, Backtrack 5 linux.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jacee View Post
Best thing to do is a "clean" re-installation.... if the computer is your's now.
Not to be rude or anything, but I'd really like to solve the problem without doing that if possible. I really don't like to do re-installs except as a last resort. It may just come to that though. Thanks for the reply mate!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


03 May 2013   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

jmgreetis,

Just a thought...time to get creative...

What happens if you go to Safe Mode, log in under your user name, and try to copy/paste the file?
If no-go, change the permissions for your user name, then try copying the file?

Or, go out of Safe Mode, and, in normal Windows, what happens if you create a new User account? Do you get the "File Access Denied" "You need permission to perform this action" there also?

Or, get to the Command Prompt, right-click and: Run as Administrator, then try moving the file with commands. Any luck?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 May 2013   #5

Win 7 Ultimate 32bit, Windows XP Professional, Backtrack 5 linux.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cottonball View Post
jmgreetis,

Just a thought...time to get creative...

What happens if you go to Safe Mode, log in under your user name, and try to copy/paste the file?
If no-go, change the permissions for your user name, then try copying the file?

Or, go out of Safe Mode, and, in normal Windows, what happens if you create a new User account? Do you get the "File Access Denied" "You need permission to perform this action" there also?

Or, get to the Command Prompt, right-click and: Run as Administrator, then try moving the file with commands. Any luck?
Funny thing...I had thought of just using dos to try to move it, but I just didn't for some reason. I was able to move the file only after renaming it to stupid.dll. Once the file was in it's proper location i was able to change the name back to it's original and everything seems to be ok now. Thanks for the motivation to do things the old fashioned way!! I knew all that screwing around in dos when I was a kid would come in handy.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 May 2013   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 



Sometimes, going back to basics, like you did, gets the job done.

Glad you got things working.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 May 2013   #7

Win 7 Ultimate 32bit, Windows XP Professional, Backtrack 5 linux.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cottonball View Post


Sometimes, going back to basics, like you did, gets the job done.

Glad you got things working.
Funny thing. Now that I am able to move the file it keeps deleting itself, but only after like 10 minutes or so. Just straight up disappears. I noticed that the dll file was doing this in the original folder as well before I was able to move it.. I just kept redownloading it. Ever heard of that happening? I have all anti-virus disabled so it's not that, as far as I know.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 May 2013   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

jmgreetis,


Can you right-click the file, and select: Properties

Under Attributes, what is checked?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 May 2013   #9

Win 7 Ultimate 32bit, Windows XP Professional, Backtrack 5 linux.
 
 

Downloaded the .dll again and there is nothing checked under attributes. Right below Attributes in the Security section is says, "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer.". Next to that there is a button titled, "Unlock". I noticed this unlock button and clicked it before I tried moving the file in dos, when I was successful. But I had not unlocked it before that point. I just unlocked it and was able to drag and drop the file to wherever without any problems. It is on my desktop and I am just waiting to see if it will disappear again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 May 2013   #10

Win 7 Ultimate 32bit, Windows XP Professional, Backtrack 5 linux.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jmgreetis View Post
Downloaded the .dll again and there is nothing checked under attributes. Right below Attributes in the Security section is says, "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer.". Next to that there is a button titled, "Unlock". I noticed this unlock button and clicked it before I tried moving the file in dos, when I was successful. But I had not unlocked it before that point. I just unlocked it and was able to drag and drop the file to wherever without any problems. It is on my desktop and I am just waiting to see if it will disappear again.
Almost like clockwork, it's gone. I wasn't paying attention, but it was less than ten minutes before it disappeared. I'm stumped.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 !!UAC!! "File Access Denied" Even with admin, as owner, and permission




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33