Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Do you use UAC (User Account Control)?

11 Jun 2013   #31
nommy the first

Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit Professional
 
 

I always have UAC set to the highest settings and have WinPatrol as backup.
Being careful has never hurt anyone


Nommy


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
11 Jun 2013   #32
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gary View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gary View Post

That is why I have Avast Internet Security running. I also am behind a Nat Router.
As good as AVAST is, something could sneak by, such as a new nasty that AVAST hasn't written a definition for yet. Keep in mind that AVs, etc. are more retroactive than proactive; they mostly respond to known nasties. If set correctly, UAC will alert you every time a process is being started so it will be difficult to impossible for a nasty to start a process without your knowledge as long as you allow UAC to do its thing and you take the extra second to read the popup before clicking on it.
I have never had a malware problem, I have never gotten a virus. I have a Firewall (not Windows). I just do not need a machine to do the thinking for me and tell me if it is OK to install this or that, BTW AIS has an auto sandbox which basically does the same thing.
Famous last words.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jun 2013   #33
Stephanie

Win 7 Pro x64, Win 10 Pro x64, Linux Light x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nommy the first View Post
I always have UAC set to the highest settings and have WinPatrol as backup.
Being careful has never hurt anyone


Nommy
, Scotty is watching my system as well
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 Jun 2013   #34
mitchell65

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

This is turning into a most interesting thread. I am keeping a tally and will let the thread go until Friday and then post the tally. Looks very interesting so far but it would be good to get plenty more posts so that the final picture is more representative.
Thanks to all who have posted so far!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jun 2013   #35
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mitchell65 View Post
This is turning into a most interesting thread. I am keeping a tally and will let the thread go until Friday and then post the tally. Looks very interesting so far but it would be good to get plenty more posts so that the final picture is more representative.
Thanks to all who have posted so far!
...and thanks for bringing up the topic. I too find it interesting and have been pleased that the discussion has stayed so civil.

BTW, I'm not attempting to convince others to use the UAC - I only nag those that I directly support :-)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jun 2013   #36
OldMX

Microsoft Windows 10 Professional
 
 

I use it on max setting.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jun 2013   #37
Andreas W

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Reading all the posts and I have to say that UAC is disabled on my computer, because of the sole reason it is quite annoying, my age 25. I don't know if I am doing anything bad or good but I am the only user of my computer, I never click on any link without checking where it is going first. I use adblock plugins for IE10, never click on any flash related ad on any sites, I also try to keep my installed programs to a minimum and regularly check my task manger and by now I have pretty much remembered all my trusted processes and I do notice if there is a process I don't recognize which rarely happens, I have tried with or without AV. one time I switched AV every 3 months or so because none of them never said anything after that I went without one for quite some time now trying the pro version of malwarebytes which I am considering buying.

So if I do have virus on my computer they are pretty damn stealthy.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jun 2013   #38
mitchell65

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Andreas W View Post
Reading all the posts and I have to say that UAC is disabled on my computer, because of the sole reason it is quite annoying, my age 25. I don't know if I am doing anything bad or good but I am the only user of my computer, I never click on any link without checking where it is going first. I use adblock plugins for IE10, never click on any flash related ad on any sites, I also try to keep my installed programs to a minimum and regularly check my task manger and by now I have pretty much remembered all my trusted processes and I do notice if there is a process I don't recognize which rarely happens, I have tried with or without AV. one time I switched AV every 3 months or so because none of them never said anything after that I went without one for quite some time now trying the pro version of malwarebytes which I am considering buying.

So if I do have virus on my computer they are pretty damn stealthy.
The fact that you say " I don't know if I am doing anything bad or good" suggests that you are taking a bit of a risk in my view. If you were asking for advice mine would be to set UAC to at least the default level. Read through the posts on this thread from the start to get other opinions. I would maintain that it is better to be safe than sorry. Stick to one A/V, my choice would be Microsoft Security Essentials!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jun 2013   #39
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Andreas W View Post
....I have tried with or without AV. one time I switched AV every 3 months or so because none of them never said anything after that I went without one for quite some time now trying the pro version of malwarebytes which I am considering buying.

So if I do have virus on my computer they are pretty damn stealthy.
Sadly, a number of infections are quite stealthy. Anyway, you might be interested in this thread:
Are Anti-Viruses A Total Waste Of Time?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jun 2013   #40
derekimo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mitchell65 View Post
This is turning into a most interesting thread. I am keeping a tally and will let the thread go until Friday and then post the tally. Looks very interesting so far but it would be good to get plenty more posts so that the final picture is more representative.
Thanks to all who have posted so far!
You could add a poll to the thread.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Do you use UAC (User Account Control)?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
User Account Control
I regularly get fed up with the User Account Control intrusiveness, but I do not want to do away with its good work. It does not appear for every application or .exe file I run, just some. So - is there a master list somewhere of 'acceptable' applications it will allow me to run with no question,...
System Security
How do i control a user account?
Hi, I have many people using my computer and I want to stop them from being on my account. What I mean by this is,that I want to set up an account for everyone else to use with the following control: 1. I (as an administrator) get to control password creation, account pictures and all...
General Discussion
User Account Control
Can I Disable User Account Control (UAC) for one Windows 7 application or program?
System Security
User Account Control
GM all, Does anyone know how you add a publisher so you stop getting the User Account Control dialog popup's? Thanking you in advance, Cliff
System Security
User Account Control
I just got this from this article ... http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/windows_7.asp User Account Control improvements. Windows Vista's most reviled feature is being completely overhauled to be more customizable. Four settings will be available: 1. Never notify (least secure). The user is...
System Security
User Account Control.
I have installed Warhammer Online and it works fine but whenever I go to start it up I get this annoying window that says "Do you want the following program to make changes to this computer". How can I turn this so it doesn't do this everytime I start up Warhammer?
Software


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:48.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App