Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: is bitlocker so easy to crack?

19 Aug 2013   #1

windows 7 ultimate 64bit
 
 
is bitlocker so easy to crack?

Hi

may i ask a question?

i know many people use truecrypt because bitlocker is not so secure

but is so easy to crack?

thanks


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Aug 2013   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult. x64 Windows 8.1 x64
 
 

Not sure where you get that information from, but Bitlocker is pretty secure. The only reason its not used much is because most people don't use Professional or Ultimate (Bitlocker is not available on lesser versions of Windows 7).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Aug 2013   #3

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 

If someone is really determined to defeat encryption software they can find the forensic tools to do it. Then the encryption companies try to strengthen their product while others work to defeat the new software. If you do an internet search for "compare bitlocker to truecrypt" you'll find several articles about such forensic software.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


19 Aug 2013   #4

windows 7 ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Golden View Post
Not sure where you get that information from, but Bitlocker is pretty secure. The only reason its not used much is because most people don't use Professional or Ultimate (Bitlocker is not available on lesser versions of Windows 7).
thanks
but is bitlocker hardware dipendent?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by marsmimar View Post
If someone is really determined to defeat encryption software they can find the forensic tools to do it. Then the encryption companies try to strengthen their product while others work to defeat the new software. If you do an internet search for "compare bitlocker to truecrypt" you'll find several articles about such forensic software.
thanks
i'm reading
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2013   #5

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x86 Service Pack 1 - Linux Mint Mate 14 x64
 
 

Did you mean hardware dependent?

Bitlocker is only limited to Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate versions of Windows 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2013   #6

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by x BlueRobot View Post
Did you mean hardware dependent?

Bitlocker is only limited to Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate versions of Windows 7.
I thought Bitlocker came only with the Enterprise and Ultimate versions of Win 7 and the Enterprise and Pro versions of Win 8.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2013   #7

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x86 Service Pack 1 - Linux Mint Mate 14 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by x BlueRobot View Post
Did you mean hardware dependent?

Bitlocker is only limited to Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate versions of Windows 7.
I thought Bitlocker came only with the Enterprise and Ultimate versions of Win 7 and the Enterprise and Pro versions of Win 8.
Your right

Compare Windows 7 - Microsoft Windows
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2013   #8

windows 7 ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by x BlueRobot View Post
Did you mean hardware dependent?

Bitlocker is only limited to Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate versions of Windows 7.
hi BlueRobot

i mean does it use the hardware information motherboard , cpu and other info obtained from the hardware to encrypt
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2013   #9

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Bitlocker normally uses a card called a TPM (Trusted Platform Module) that gets plugged into a special socket on MOBOs that are equipped with the socket (not all are). Alternatively, there is a way to use a USB flash drive to contain the encryption key.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2013   #10

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x86 Service Pack 1 - Linux Mint Mate 14 x64
 
 

Most modern computers and motherboards should support TPM.

With USB option, wouldn't the user have to enter the key at each boot?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 is bitlocker so easy to crack?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: is bitlocker so easy to crack?
Thread Forum
BitLocker Drive Encryption - BitLocker To Go - Turn On or Off Tutorials
BIOS flash error, BITLOCKER on? No bitlocker installed, Win 7 Pro General Discussion
RockYou hack reveals easy-to-crack passwords. Security News

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:44 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33