Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Anti Virus protection (MSE)


11 Oct 2013   #21

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

logicearth good find and thanks. I noticed its dated 9 Oct 2013.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mmpc/arch...timalware.aspx

Quote:
We are proud of the protection capabilities we provide for well over 150 million computers worldwide with our real-time antimalware products. We believe in Microsoft antimalware products and strongly recommend them to our customers, to our friends, and to our families.
That is 150 million computers the other brands of anti virus would like to sell their anti virus programs to.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 Oct 2013   #22

Windows 8 Pro / Windows 7 Home Premium x64 dual boot
 
 

Quote:
We are proud of the protection capabilities we provide for well over 150 million computers worldwide
Sounds like a pretty big number eh?

When you compare it to world population which is estimated to number 7.117 billion, it's really not that big a number. Even if you took half the world population that had desktops, laptops and what have you, 150 million protected by MSE is just a small fraction of that number. 150 million is only roughly a little less than half the U.S. population which is 313.9 million according to the last census in 2012. Like I said, sounds like a big number until you do the math.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Oct 2013   #23

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

In my opinion the math you use is comparing apples to wheelbarrows.

The population of the world or a country is not the point and isn't in the equation.
All companies that sell or give away a program are concerned of how many computer systems have their product installed. They really don't care if 10 people own all the 150 million computers or billion people own those 150 million computers. They count computers not people.

The point is Microsoft has 150 million computers using their security products and much of them are free.
The competing anti virus program companies want to sell their programs and have them installed on those same 150 million computers.
In my opinion that is why we have been seeing all those editorials, he said she said hearsay articles all over the web.
Trying to scare people or companies off of Microsoft security program and onto their own programs.

Personally I don't care what anti virus programs anybody uses BUT when someone post that black and white isn't black and white and their source of information is the paper boy trying to sell blue and yellow newspapers isn't good enough.

Right from the horses mouth what Microsoft thinks of it security programs and methods. Not hearsay.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mmpc/arch...timalware.aspx
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


12 Oct 2013   #24

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
...Right from the horses mouth what Microsoft thinks of it security programs and methods. Not hearsay.

Our commitment to Microsoft antimalware - Microsoft Malware Protection Center - Site Home - TechNet Blogs
This from the same horse...er...company that says Win 8 is the best OS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Oct 2013   #25

Windows 8 Pro / Windows 7 Home Premium x64 dual boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
In my opinion the math you use is comparing apples to wheelbarrows.

The population of the world or a country is not the point and isn't in the equation.
All companies that sell or give away a program are concerned of how many computer systems have their product installed. They really don't care if 10 people own all the 150 million computers or billion people own those 150 million computers. They count computers not people.

The point is Microsoft has 150 million computers using their security products and much of them are free.
The competing anti virus program companies want to sell their programs and have them installed on those same 150 million computers.
In my opinion that is why we have been seeing all those editorials, he said she said hearsay articles all over the web.
Trying to scare people or companies off of Microsoft security program and onto their own programs.

Personally I don't care what anti virus programs anybody uses BUT when someone post that black and white isn't black and white and their source of information is the paper boy trying to sell blue and yellow newspapers isn't good enough.

Right from the horses mouth what Microsoft thinks of it security programs and methods. Not hearsay.

[B]]Sign in to your Microsoft account
Listen, I'm not going to get into an argument over MSE with you, if you use it .... whoopty do, I don't.

All I was trying to point out is that in the grand scheme of things, even in worldwide computers as you so kindly pointed out, 150 million is not a lot, it is a very small fraction of computers that MSE has protected and they try to make it sound like they have the market share in antivirus protection ...... give me a break.

When MSE can repel, detect AND remove over 95% of the threats thrown at it without me having to resort to third party removal tools, then talk to me.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Oct 2013   #26

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

edee no argument was intended; sorry you took it that way.
I really don't know what the grand scheme of things means.
I do agree with many that one should use the anti virus program that one desires. I see you use Avast anti virus as many do and speak well of.
I absolutely would not put out false statements about Avast anti virus
like was done with Microsoft security programs.
Microsoft answered those false statements and that was my point.
Whether one likes or doesn't like Microsoft's security program was not the point.
If and when I do choose to change my anti virus program Avast would be at the top of my list. Many here use it and are well pleased with it.
That method means more to me than all the Editorials and test sites I could ever look at.
Members like you and Lady Fitzgerald and others are testimonials to me on how good Avast anti virus is.
Have a nice day.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Oct 2013   #27

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult. x64 Windows 8.1 x64 Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Tri-Boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by edee View Post
Sounds like a pretty big number eh?

When you compare it to world population which is estimated to number 7.117 billion, it's really not that big a number
Neither is it when you compare it to the estimated number of galaxies, which is about 170 billion The point is its really silly to compare the number of computers to the world population, or heaven forbid the estimated number of galaxies.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by edee View Post
and they try to make it sound like they have the market share in antivirus protection ...... give me a break.
The have a pretty good market share actually, depending on how you measure it. Read:
Antivirus Market Analysis: October 2013 | OPSWAT | Software management and security solutions
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Anti Virus protection (MSE)




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33