Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: No prompt for admin creds when I need to install


06 Dec 2013   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
No prompt for admin creds when I need to install

When trying to install programs (like iTunes) with a standard user account I am not prompted for administrator credentials. The task simply fails.

*This is a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate x64. UAC is set to default.

How do I get the prompt so I can perform tasks like this?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Dec 2013   #2

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Welcome to the Seven Forums.

When you right click on the installer (e.g setup.exe) do you see Run as administrator in the context menu? If so, what happens if you select that option as a standard user? Do you get the UAC admin password prompt?

Do you get the UAC admin password prompt when you try tasks like opening the Computer Management console? (Click on the Start orb, right click on Computer and select Manage from the context menu.)

Do installations work if you log on using an admin account?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Dec 2013   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
When you right click on the installer (e.g setup.exe) do you see Run as administrator in the context menu? If so, what happens if you select that option as a standard user? Do you get the UAC admin password prompt?
No prompt. Install fails.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
Do you get the UAC admin password prompt when you try tasks like opening the Computer Management console? (Click on the Start orb, right click on Computer and select Manage from the context menu.)
No prompt. Error message: This program is blocked by group policy. For more information, contact your system administrator.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
Do installations work if you log on using an admin account?
Yes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


06 Dec 2013   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SlickStretch View Post
No prompt. Error message: This program is blocked by group policy. For more information, contact your system administrator.
That's interesting, but look here, go to gpedit.msc => computer configuration => windows configuration => security configuration => local directives => security options, there look for the option (on the right side) "user account control: behavior for standard users". I suppose that it may be set to "deny automatically", if so, change to "ask for credentials in secure desktop", and try again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Dec 2013   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Alejandro85 View Post
That's interesting, but look here, go to gpedit.msc => computer configuration => windows configuration => security configuration => local directives => security options, there look for the option (on the right side) "user account control: behavior for standard users". I suppose that it may be set to "deny automatically", if so, change to "ask for credentials in secure desktop", and try again.
It was set to deny automatically. I switched it to Prompt on the secure desktop. Now it's working fine. Thanks for your help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 No prompt for admin creds when I need to install




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: No prompt for admin creds when I need to install
Thread Forum
Solved No UAC prompt when installing .exe's as admin System Security
User allowed to run executable as admin without prompt General Discussion
How to disable UAC password prompt for Standard User without admin? System Security
how to disable admin prompt everytime i want to install Microsoft Office
How do I get Windows to prompt for Admin Credentials? General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33