Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How do I make windows 7 ask the administrator accounts for password?

06 Jan 2014   #1
uLemon

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
How do I make windows 7 ask the administrator accounts for password?

So I am trying to increase the security of my computer, what I want to do is make windows 7 prompt for the administrator password whenever making and change to windows such as installing a program. I have followed the steps of the following website, but my results don't make sense, it still doesn't prompt for the password!

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...inistrator-acc




My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
06 Jan 2014   #2
Golden
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ult. x64
 
 

Try setting UAC to the maximum/highest level.

User Account Control - UAC - Change Notification Settings
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jan 2014   #3
uLemon

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Golden View Post
Try setting UAC to the maximum/highest level.

User Account Control - UAC - Change Notification Settings
it is currently at "always notify"
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Jan 2014   #4
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by uLemon View Post
So I am trying to increase the security of my computer, what I want to do is make windows 7 prompt for the administrator password whenever making and change to windows such as installing a program. I have followed the steps of the following website, but my results don't make sense, it still doesn't prompt for the password!

How can set uac to always ask password in built in administrator acc

Difference Between UAC and Admin Approval mode

I think you want:
Prompt for credentials on the secure desktop: When an operation requires elevation of privilege, the user is prompted on the secure desktop to enter a privileged user name and password. If the user enters valid credentials, the operation continues with the user's highest available privilege.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jan 2014   #5
uLemon

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by uLemon View Post
So I am trying to increase the security of my computer, what I want to do is make windows 7 prompt for the administrator password whenever making and change to windows such as installing a program. I have followed the steps of the following website, but my results don't make sense, it still doesn't prompt for the password!

How can set uac to always ask password in built in administrator acc

Difference Between UAC and Admin Approval mode

I think you want:
Prompt for credentials on the secure desktop: When an operation requires elevation of privilege, the user is prompted on the secure desktop to enter a privileged user name and password. If the user enters valid credentials, the operation continues with the user's highest available privilege.

yeah its been set to that, you can sort of see that in the picture
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jan 2014   #6
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Sorry... didn't look well at screenshot
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jan 2014   #7
Alejandro85

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

"Prompt for credentials....." is indeed the correct choice. Make sure you reboot to apply changes (I'm not 100% sure when it's needed, but for UAC I always do). Try to enter that configuration screen again, then it should prompt for user/pass instead of yes/no.

Other than that, when do you expect it to ask you?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How do I make windows 7 ask the administrator accounts for password?




Thread Tools






Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Should I make an Administrator Password?
I've had Windows 7 setup about 1 week now on my computer. Sometimes I will have pop-up boxes that say Administrator privledges are required....blah blah blah. But I just click on continue and I'm OK. When I was using XP, (I had a genuine copy OEM copy I paid for) when I would get a virus I...
Installation & Setup
Cannot Remember Administrator Password Windows 7
Here's my situation: Over 6 months ago, I got my hard drive on my laptop replaced. My girlfriend decided to make a user account on my computer. She claims that while making it, the computer didn't let her set a user password. And, she didn't make a recovery disk with the password on it, because she...
General Discussion
Forgot Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Administrator Password
I was away from home for almost two months. When I came back home I discovered that somebody at home has changed the Administrator Password and they forgot the new password. So I am locked out of my Dell INSPIRON N5010 laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 OS. There is no guest account set on my...
System Security
Windows 7 Home Premium administrator forgotten password
Hello. My friend has a laptop with Windows 7 home premium and forgot the admin password. When: - I switched to safe mode it also asked me for password - couldn't switch to command panel because it also ask for admin pass - in windows xp there could be ctr +alt +del and i could type...
System Security
Make Windows 7 without an administrator
During the Windows 7 installation create a useraccount, let say USER1. This user is an "administrator" by default now. You will call your computer PC-NAME After installation keep the pc in a workgroup (so do not add the computer to a domain) Now log on to your computer as: PC-NAME\USER1 Now...
General Discussion
Windows 7 Administrator Password
Hello everyone: I upgraded to Windows Professional from Home Premium and everything was running fine for about 3 months. I added a domain user account (this is a work computer with a shared server) and have been logging in using this domain user account. I needed to install some software so...
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:26.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App