Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: MBAM Tidbits - FYI


04 Apr 2014   #1

Win 7 Pro x64 SP1, Win 7 Ult x86 SP1
 
 
MBAM Tidbits - FYI

There are a lot of recommendations and use for MBAM in SF from what I've seen.
I use and recommend it, so here's some interesting info imho:
- MBAM does not recommend running a Full Scan "normally".
- An AV is better choice for "Full Scans"
- MBAM does not keep "Historical (non active)" data in the database
- MBAM only includes "live actively known threats" in the database

Quote from MBAM Staff

Quote:
No there still is no need to run a Custom (full scan) the Threat Scan is basically the same as the previous Quick Scan and will scan all known threat points. A custom (full scan) is only needed if you want to possibly locate old dormant non live infection data. Certainly no need to run it more than once - if you think you need or want to do that type of scans then your antivirus is actually better suited to flat file detections of non active potential threats as it has a database that covers a decade or more of infections. We only include live actively known threats in our database to easily combat new threats.
Source: https://forums.malwarebytes.org/inde...45429&p=811499
This MBAM thread is in response to Ver 2, but my guess is it applies to Ver 1.75 as well ...


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Apr 2014   #2

Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64bit, Windows 7 HP 64bit
 
 

As Malwarebytes has said, their product is designed to compliment other AV programs not replace them. It does a great job at what it is designed to do. Also in 2-3 weeks a new update will be released to fix about 30 bugs in the current ver 2.

Jim
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Apr 2014   #3

Win-7 Home Prem 64-bit 7601 Free SP1
 
 

Kind of interesting the quick scan has never been any good,
Only the full scan is worth using IMHO,
Cheers.

I'm sorry but this is just funny to me
Quote:
Threat scan ==> Quick Scan
Custom scan ==> Partial or Full Scan - depending upon what you choose to scan.
Hyper scan ==> Flash Scan (only available for registered PRO users). Personally I don't recommend using it
Hyper scan
Why have a custom full scan then ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


06 Apr 2014   #4

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Kind of interesting the quick scan has never been any good,
Only the full scan is worth using IMHO,
Cheers.

I'm sorry but this is just funny to me
Quote:
Threat scan ==> Quick Scan
Custom scan ==> Partial or Full Scan - depending upon what you choose to scan.
Hyper scan ==> Flash Scan (only available for registered PRO users). Personally I don't recommend using it
Hyper scan
Why have a custom full scan then ?
I believe it's so you can choose what gets scanned (or not scanned) instead of settling for whatever default MBAM uses.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Apr 2014   #5

Win-7 Home Prem 64-bit 7601 Free SP1
 
 

Hi,
Yes but isn't that what the exceptions are for ?
Exclude MSE and it's processes,
Exclude SAS and it's processes ?
...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Apr 2014   #6

Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64bit, Windows 7 HP 64bit
 
 

This explains the differences in the Scans.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0 Help Documentation

Click on SCAN on left side.

Jim
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2014   #7

Windows 7 x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

You mention an update in the coming weeks. How do I update the program itself? All I see is database definition updates. I see no program update. How do I know an update will be available and how do I update? Do I have to re-install or what? I have the current 2.0 ver.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2014   #8

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

When I tested version 2.0.0.1000, updating the definitions also offered to update the core app to version 2.0.1.1004.

This is how it has always been - right?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2014   #9

OEM Windows 7 Ult (x64) SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jonguy30 View Post
You mention an update in the coming weeks. How do I update the program itself? All I see is database definition updates. I see no program update. How do I know an update will be available and how do I update? Do I have to re-install or what? I have the current 2.0 ver.
If you are running 2.xx, you will get PROGRAM updates automatically/silently for now, if you have database update checks scheduled.
This was implemented during beta testing of 2.x, to ensure that all users got the current, most stable build.

Granular user control of 2.xx PROGRAM updates (similar to that provided via the scheduler in 1.xx) will be restored in a later release.

Users still running 1.xx will also be getting automatically upgraded to 2.xx via the auto-updater in the coming days (AFAIK, release is being throttled), but only if the updater options are selected.
1.75 users wishing to postpone the upgrade should untick/disable these options.

HTH,

MM


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2014   #10

Win 7 Pro x64 SP1, Win 7 Ult x86 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MoxieMomma View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jonguy30 View Post
You mention an update in the coming weeks. How do I update the program itself? All I see is database definition updates. I see no program update. How do I know an update will be available and how do I update? Do I have to re-install or what? I have the current 2.0 ver.
If you are running 2.xx, you will get PROGRAM updates automatically/silently for now, if you have database update checks scheduled.
With Ver 2 when a new program version is available I get a popup informing about the new version.
I can decline installing it, "right now".
By declining it when offered, I got periodic (annoying) reminders a program update is available.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 MBAM Tidbits - FYI




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: MBAM Tidbits - FYI
Thread Forum
Solved Advantages of MSE with MBAM Pro? System Security
Under-the-radar tidbits from Microsoft's third-quarter News
MBAM System Security
MBAM Scan System Security

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33