Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Old School AV without cloud?

03 Oct 2014   #1
remm

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 
Old School AV without cloud?

Anyone know of a free, lean, AV that is not full of useless features that have to be disabled, and does not use cloud services, or where you can disable them?

What about BD free? Does it use cloud svc? Or can they be disabled?

Have been using AVAST but ever since the W7 SP1 update, it has caused extremely slow boots. (Re-installing, etc did not help and I only have 3 programs run at startup, AVAST, Comodo and Stickies. AVAST is the problem as without AVAST boot is 42sec.) TIA.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
03 Oct 2014   #2
Tookeri

Windows 7 Pro 32
 
 

I'm not updated on MSE but I don't think that uses cloud services as much as some other AV's. I know there are lots of people using MSE here so they will be able to give you a better answer.

Personally I wouldn't use an AV without a cloud service. You need the information in the cloud for a good protection. I think the HIPS functionality in an AV is very important, and that wouldn't work without the cloud.
But I prefer non-free AV's simply because I think the paid ones offer better protection, so I'm probably not the best person to give you advice here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2014   #3
remm

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tookeri View Post
I'm not updated on MSE but I don't think that uses cloud services as much as some other AV's. I know there are lots of people using MSE here so they will be able to give you a better answer.

Personally I wouldn't use an AV without a cloud service. You need the information in the cloud for a good protection. I think the HIPS functionality in an AV is very important, and that wouldn't work without the cloud.
But I prefer non-free AV's simply because I think the paid ones offer better protection, so I'm probably not the best person to give you advice here.
Thanks for the reply... I should have said "except MSE" Not a fan of MS (except for the OS and Word).

HIPS has been around much longer than cloud services. Anything that can be done in the cloud can be done locally. I respect you prefer to use cloud services for your AV protection but some don't. Thanks again for the feedback though, appreciate it!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Oct 2014   #4
Tookeri

Windows 7 Pro 32
 
 

No, I can't agree with you there. Some cloud functionality won't work only locally. Examples: web protection that checks every site you visit in the cloud. And checking programs during launch to get reputations from the cloud. Even though the AV scans with real-time, I want it to check its reputation from the cloud and warn me if the program isn't considered "trusted" = known as safe and is used by many others.

These kinds of functions won't work locally because it's impossible to store and update information on every client computer about all web sites + all programs and versions that exist.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2014   #5
remm

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tookeri View Post
No, I can't agree with you there. Some cloud functionality won't work only locally. Examples: web protection that checks every site you visit in the cloud. And checking programs during launch to get reputations from the cloud. Even though the AV scans with real-time, I want it to check its reputation from the cloud and warn me if the program isn't considered "trusted" = known as safe and is used by many others.

These kinds of functions won't work locally because it's impossible to store and update information on every client computer about all web sites + all programs and versions that exist.
And those are the exact functions I disable. I don't want websites checked, or program reputations checked. Just scan the file and that's good enough. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and preferences. And everyone has their own reasons for their opinions and preferences.

Just looking for an old school AV... if one exists anymore...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Oct 2014   #6
Tookeri

Windows 7 Pro 32
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by remm View Post
And those are the exact functions I disable. I don't want websites checked, or program reputations checked. Just scan the file and that's good enough. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and preferences. And everyone has their own reasons for their opinions and preferences.

Just looking for an old school AV... if one exists anymore...
I hear you and I respect that! Sorry that I misunderstood. Hopefully others can give you advice on this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Oct 2014   #7
Alejandro85

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

"The cloud" is more of a marketing lie from AV vendors more than a reality. Actually, if you examine them carefully you'll find that almost every function of it works locally, using "the cloud" for fetching updates of signatures. Naming cloud sounds so much futuristic and non tech-savvy people are fooled into thinking it's superior, while it's technology we we're using since many years ago.

Regular filesystems scans work entirely local (making it "cloud" means uploading your entire HD, which will take ages and ruin privacy). Website protection uses a kernel-mode driver to route all internet traffic though the antivirus for scanning before allowing it. Again 100% local. WOT like, reputation-based "scan" uses mostly a locally cached DB to block DNS requests, that data is fetched during the regular DB update, not on-demand.

The only thing that completely requires "the cloud" is signatures update, a totally reasonable request. The AV downloads signature files from the vendor server and adds them to a local database for use in subsequent scans. That's nothing new, such methods were available since years ago!

Now, about particular products. In that sense, MSE is more like what you want. It's extremely simple, with very few features, about only file scans, updates, real-time protection and that's about it. Very lean program. Bad thing about it is that it has normally poor detection rates compared with other AVs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Oct 2014   #8
NimoTony

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

"I only have 3 programs run at startup, AVAST, Comodo and Stickies."

I run Comodo 'free' AV--you already have Comodo--Comodo what? AV, firewall ??(running Avast and Comodo might be the problem)

I am running Comodo 5.5.195786.1383 and it works perfectly--boot time is approx 30 seconds
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Oct 2014   #9
Tookeri

Windows 7 Pro 32
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Alejandro85 View Post
"The cloud" is more of a marketing lie from AV vendors more than a reality. Actually, if you examine them carefully you'll find that almost every function of it works locally, using "the cloud" for fetching updates of signatures.
...
Website protection uses a kernel-mode driver to route all internet traffic though the antivirus for scanning before allowing it. Again 100% local.
I don't know what AVs and cloud services you're describing, but it's not my AV. Sure, it works locally, but it asks the cloud for information and that information is used to determine what action to take. If the could connection can't be established, it's not uncommon that extra precaution is taken. F-Secure Security Cloud
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Oct 2014   #10
Alejandro85

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

It's a different name for the same thing!!!!!!!
We already know technologies like that since the last decade, if not more, but now they name it "ask the cloud for information" instead of "update virus signature database from our servers" that has been so widely used in the 90s and 2000 decades.

The only different thing I can get from all is that data is collected from users and reputation is added to their databases, but they barely mention how to figure out is it's malicious or not. My guess is that data is collected from your installed programs and visited websites and their own (traditional, signature and heuristics based) analysis results are uploaded.
That's the only novelty, a signature database with counters on how many users use it and have it infected. At most, more frequent updates, perhaps real-time if bandwidth and CPU cycles allow, hardly a different paradigm, but minor tweaks over long existing methods.

BTW, do you really know what kind of info is being sent about you? Having such spyware piece running on my PC is not something I would like. Everyone has "good intentions", but it's freaking to have something collecting potentially private data about you without you realizing (or worse, with you approving).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Old School AV without cloud?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
the cloud is not a real cloud - Daily Mail
During all the celeb hysteria about leaked pics a coupla months ago, UK paper the Daily Mail felt the need to explain to readers that the cloud is not an actual cloud. See pic from Surely the Daily Mail canā
Chillout Room
School help
So, I just got silently disappointed today at school. In our geometry class, I was asked the question by my teacher: True or false, all chords of a circle contain exactly 2 points. So, I answered: false. My reason (I didn't point this out): Well, the center of a circle is a part of the circle,...
Chillout Room
4 ms ping in school
(Attachment removed due to privacy reasons) Wow, that's a win
Chillout Room
old school pokemon
I'm bringing back pokemon or at least i found my old gbc and gba. Now to the problem, i want to trade between gold and silver but i only have a gba link cable and when i use it the two systems cant establish a link in the trade center, any help would be appreciated :D
Chillout Room
EHDD + different pc's @ school
so basicly we got different pc's here on school and on all those pc's my key needs tobe activated BUT at somepoint it says that all of the uses have been used... but actually i keep switching systems... (i hope its a bit clear...) so can anyone tell me what to do? do i need to crack it? (hope i...
General Discussion
Old School Malware
Latest from Sophos http://www.sophos.com/blogs/sophoslabs/images/blogs/sophoslabs/2009/12/autoavh3.png Can you spot what’s wrong with the picture above? That’s right. The application title has been renamed to “Internet Exploiter” (pity the malware author renamed “Internet Explorer” as...
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App