Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Malware box on desktop

19 Dec 2014   #1
Starflyr

32 bit Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 
Malware box on desktop

About a day or so ago, a box popped up on my Windows 7 desktop that I can't close or remove. It says...

Message from webpage

Microsoft warning-System may have found Viruses on your computer. Please contact Certified Live Technicians for help at 1-877-968-8262 immediately.

I've looked that telephone number up with Google and it comes up as a scam number for various pitches. Can anyone tell me how to remove this message from my desktop?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
19 Dec 2014   #2
Golden
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ult. x64
 
 

Perform an online scan using ESET - lets see if it finds the rogue application responsible for the message. Be sure to qurantine/remove any items it finds.

Free Virus Scan | Online Virus Scanner from ESET

Save a list of what it finds, and post back here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Dec 2014   #3
Starflyr

32 bit Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Golden View Post
Perform an online scan using ESET - lets see if it finds the rogue application responsible for the message. Be sure to qurantine/remove any items it finds.

Free Virus Scan | Online Virus Scanner from ESET

Save a list of what it finds, and post back here.
This site appears to be another scam site. I spent over 15 minutes looking for a fix to my problem. All I found on this site was "pitches" to spend money.

Finally gave up and tried McAfee and that removed the popup. And yes, after a 30 day trial McAfee also charges for their service. I was a McAfee subscriber in the past and I guess I'll have to resubscribe to counter all these "hackers" that install Maleware without asking. Something like the North Koreans.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Dec 2014   #4
cyberSAR

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Did you happen to see [ Direct link removed ]

Please use the main site ESET | Antivirus, Internet Security Software & Virus Protection
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Dec 2014   #5
Golden
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ult. x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Starflyr View Post
This site appears to be another scam site. I spent over 15 minutes looking for a fix to my problem. All I found on this site was "pitches" to spend money.
Nonsense! Learn to use your eyes properly for 15 minutes.............try again. The ESET on-line scan is robust, well-established, and used here more times than you've spent thinking about malware.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Dec 2014   #6
mdd1963

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

ESET can be easily and legitimately found by merely searching for 'ESET' in google; in fact, it is the first result, so I am not sure how one even gets to scam websites, unless searching only for 'online scanner'...?

In any event, for future reference, the link to ESET's scanner....

Malware Removal | Free Antivirus Tools & Online Virus Scanning from ESET

One of the free and most popular antivirus tools is also Malwarebytes Antimalware, found at :

www.malwarebytes.org
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Dec 2014   #7
Starflyr

32 bit Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Golden View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Starflyr View Post
This site appears to be another scam site. I spent over 15 minutes looking for a fix to my problem. All I found on this site was "pitches" to spend money.
Nonsense! Learn to use your eyes properly for 15 minutes.............try again. The ESET on-line scan is robust, well-established, and used here more times than you've spent thinking about malware.
All I can say is I clicked on "Run ESET scanner" and it didn't work for me. First, I tried to run it with Safari for Windows and I got a popup saying I had to use "Explorer". So I went into it again with Explorer and clicked on it again, with nothing happening. Finally gave up and download McAfee which took care of my malware problem.

Maybe their server was maxed out. I'll try it again. Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned "anther scam site". What I meant by that was the offer to sign up for service after the 30 day trial. Since the "trial" didn't seem to work for me, I thought maybe I had to really pay for it before using the "free" trial.

And under no circumstances would I consider what I saw as 'ROBUST". Absolutely nothing happened when I clicked on the button that I could tell. Maybe it was doing something in the background, but I need a COOKIE (i.e. hour glass or something) when running something like this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Dec 2014   #8
cottonball

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Starflyr,

Quote:
Finally gave up and tried McAfee and that removed the popup. And yes, after a 30 day trial McAfee also charges for their service. I was a McAfee subscriber in the past and I guess I'll have to resubscribe to counter all these "hackers" that install Maleware without asking
The above is not necessary, and does not need to be your only choice.

What was your Antivirus program prior to installing McAfee?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Malware box on desktop




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Changing File Decription for link to Malware Bytes Anti-Malware
Have been using Win 7 Ultimate x64 for quite a while but tonight ran into a small problem. I like to keep the titles for links very short and want to rename "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware" (I am a registered, paid user) to simply "Malwarebytes". I am listed as an Administrator and I used LockHunter to...
System Security
Win7 almost loads desktop (after malware cleanup)
My friend brings me his Win7Pro laptop with some newish variant of the Ukash malware (Trojan.Winlock). System Restore didn't work, so I used the Admin account to run Malwarebytes scan which helped. His usual login account (Fred) has admin privs, but just before it should load the desktop, it...
System Security
Malware Removal Guide 2011: How to Get Rid of All The Latest Malware
Read more at: Maximum PC | Malware Removal Guide 2011: How to Get Rid of All The Latest Malware
Security Basics


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:15.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App