Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: UAC. Have you turned your's off?


07 Nov 2009   #1

Windows 7 premium
 
 
UAC. Have you turned your's off?

One of the first things I did after installing Windows 7, was to turn the UAC completely off to stop getting those annoying messages.
I have just read in this months PCPlus magazine that you should alter the default settings in UAC and slide the thing right to the top to give yourself more protection!
I'm not sure what's best now?
Have you turned yours off?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Nov 2009   #2

Windows 8.1 Pro x64
 
 

Yep. Turned it off as soon as I got 7 installed. MSE and Windows Firewall are pretty much all you need, unless you go to some really sketchy sites.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2009   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

I left it default.

Would also like to know what is best practice.

zx81
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


07 Nov 2009   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by brother View Post
One of the first things I did after installing Windows 7, was to turn the UAC completely off to stop getting those annoying messages.
I have just read in this months PCPlus magazine that you should alter the default settings in UAC and slide the thing right to the top to give yourself more protection!
I'm not sure what's best now?
Have you turned yours off?
As I've mentioned in a previous thread, the first thing I do after installing Windows 7, is turn UAC up to it's maximum level so that it acts more like it did in Vista.

As it should be.

While I'd like to consider myself an advanced user (better than average maybe), I find that UAC on maximum settings is a useful tool that helps me to identify potential threats that may get past my firewall and antivirus.

Sure, when I install applications and/or drivers, it can be annoying, but what if I'm browsing the web, or use a CD/DVD/FlashDrive from someone else, and the UAC prompt pops up without warning, I'd know to cancel it and not allow access. I'm generally carefull about what I do on Prometheus, but knowing that Windows is helping does make the whole expierence a whole lot easier.

UAC is also great when you have kids at home that use your PC, or perhaps their own. Just setup a password-protected admin account for yourself, and let the kids use a seperate limited account without a password. If they try to install software, or attempt to do anything that could be potentially disastrous to the stability of the system (RegEdit, MSConfig, Drivers, etc...), then they cannot proceed without first entering a password, which only you should know.

When combined with the built-in parental control features, I no longer have any concerns about my niece using Prometheus when she visits, and I don't have to keep an eye on her.

UAC is not the evil big-brother that most make it out to be. It's already saved my neck (figuratively, of course) a few times in the past.

UAC on maximum setting is the only safe way to use it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2009   #5

Windows 8.1 Pro x64
 
 

Well, best practice is to install a good anti-virus as soon as you get your OS installed. I know there is a thread on here...I think it was ComputerWorld or someone who ran an article that said that even if you have UAC on high you are still vulnerable to 8 out of 10 viruses.

In my opinion, UAC is a placebo...it's just designed to make you feel like your system is more secure. You are just as well off installing an AV like MSE or AVG and leaving UAC on default, or whatever level you feel comfortable with.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2009   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by blackroseMD1 View Post
Well, best practice is to install a good anti-virus as soon as you get your OS installed. I know there is a thread on here...I think it was ComputerWorld or someone who ran an article that said that even if you have UAC on high you are still vulnerable to 8 out of 10 viruses.

In my opinion, UAC is a placebo...it's just designed to make you feel like your system is more secure. You are just as well off installing an AV like MSE or AVG and leaving UAC on default, or whatever level you feel comfortable with.
UAC is designed to help against threats that could get past your firewall and/or antivirus, and it works without requiring potentially out-of-date signature updates used by anti-virus programs.

UAC, even combined with a good antivirus and firewall, does not guarantee a 100% secure computing environment, but it is a step in the right direction.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2009   #7

Windows 8.1 Pro x64
 
 

I agree that it is a good thing to have implemented in the OS...I just think that it's mostly personal preference, along with how much a person knows about computers, that leads to individual levels of UAC.

For me, I feel safe enough in my knowledge of viruses and malware to feel secure without UAC active. Obviously, you prefer having it set on high.

Again, it's just my personal preference. You should always do what you feel most comfortable with.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2009   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by blackroseMD1 View Post
I agree that it is a good thing to have implemented in the OS...I just think that it's mostly personal preference, along with how much a person knows about computers, that leads to individual levels of UAC.

For me, I feel safe enough in my knowledge of viruses and malware to feel secure without UAC active. Obviously, you prefer having it set on high.

Again, it's just my personal preference. You should always do what you feel most comfortable with.
Definitely. This is why Microsoft made UAC adjustable in Windows 7, as opposed to Vista that was either ON or OFF...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2009   #9

 
 

I personally have it set to one slider below default (the screen dimming gets irritating)

For me it's not so much about security, but more of a 'heads up'.

When installing apps etc , I just like to know when they try to install extra components and the like.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2009   #10

Win7x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by brother View Post
One of the first things I did after installing Windows 7, was to turn the UAC completely off to stop getting those annoying messages.
I have just read in this months PCPlus magazine that you should alter the default settings in UAC and slide the thing right to the top to give yourself more protection!
I'm not sure what's best now?
Have you turned yours off?
It depends on your definition of "best".

If you mean "most convenient in the short term", then:
- Log on as an admin
- Use a blank password
- Heck, use autologon with a blank password
- Disable the UAC
- Enable the guest account
- Propagate "Everyone: FULL CONTROL" ACLs throughout your disk and registry.

On the other hand, if you think "best" means "most secure and convenient in the long term because I won't have to spend time de-poxing my machine":
- Log on as a non-admin for daily use
- Absolutely make sure the UAC is enabled.
- Use a strong "passphrase".
- Don't mess with the system ACLs.

Whether to UAC or not is a decision which only makes sense when some of those other factors are considered, in particular the question of whether the account you use for daily tasks is an admin.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 UAC. Have you turned your's off?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: UAC. Have you turned your's off?
Thread Forum
bitlocker turned on Hardware & Devices
Computer can't turned off General Discussion
Windows could not be turned on... Windows Updates & Activation
MSE is Turned off? System Security
Jumplists Turned Off? General Discussion
Win 7 turned back into XP!???? General Discussion
MSE turned off System Security

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33