Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Firewalls & Internet Security

24 Feb 2009   #1

Windows 7 Home - 64 Bit
 
 
Firewalls & Internet Security

Sometime ago I decided that Norton whatever was a resource hog. I also got tired of having network conflicts and I percieved that I was forever fighting with Norton and unable to share files, printers, on a wireless network. So I made the decision that all Microsoft would be better?? I then started using Windows Live One Care(WLOC). Now I have read that WLOC will no longer be available after Windows 7 starts. Also lately I have experienced 'wierdness' with WLOC, networking in a wireless network, sharing files, Firewall goes off, doesn't update, etc., etc. WLOC has an electronic firewall (as I understand it.) All that having been said, If a person has a router then they have a Hardware Firewall. Does a person then need the electronic Firewall put up by program like Norton Internet Security, WLOC, etc ?? -- or -- is the Hardware Firewall and a good Virus Scanning Program, sufficent (a program that takes care of virus', shareware, malware, yourware, ourware, (just a little dry humor). Can anyone advise on this. God's speed - Patrick C



My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Feb 2009   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Hi Patrick,

What I use is Windows Firewall and Avast Home..It's free and very light on the system. It has a network shield that has saved me more than once, among 6 other providers and has an anti spyware module and rootkit detector as well. I find WF and Avast to be very good in overall protection IMO.
There are also some good antispyware programs that work well with Avast and can be used as supplements to it. Malwarebytes is a very good free program, also Spybot SD has real time protection and works just fine along side Avast as well as Win Defender. You just have to run Spybot in Vista Compatibilty mode and run it as an adminstrator.

Just my opinion, letting you know what works good for me.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2009   #3

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

I use windows firewall and nod32 av. You could try the beta of nod32 smart security to see if its to your liking.

ESET Smart Security Beta Program
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


25 Feb 2009   #4

Windows 7 Home - 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Airbot View Post
Hi Patrick,

What I use is Windows Firewall and Avast Home..It's free and very light on the system. It has a network shield that has saved me more than once, among 6 other providers and has an anti spyware module and rootkit detector as well. I find WF and Avast to be very good in overall protection IMO.
There are also some good antispyware programs that work well with Avast and can be used as supplements to it. Malwarebytes is a very good free program, also Spybot SD has real time protection and works just fine along side Avast as well as Win Defender. You just have to run Spybot in Vista Compatibilty mode and run it as an adminstrator.

Just my opinion, letting you know what works good for me.
Airbot - Good Advice! I chose AVG Anti-Virus (Home User is Free), I have the Windows Firewall on, and I am running Windows Defender alongside. I have a Cable Modem feeding the Internet to my Home Wireless Network through a router - A hardware Firewall. My ISP filters Spam, Virus scans and I don't instant Message. I think therefore, that I don't need the electronic Firewall of Internet Security Programs. Thank You Guys for your recommendations. Also Swarfega I looked at the ESET Smart Security Beta program specifications and although real good I think I am covered with what I have. Thanks to You both - God's Speed - Patrick C
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2009   #5

Windows 7 Build 7048 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
All that having been said, If a person has a router then they have a Hardware Firewall. Does a person then need the electronic Firewall put up by program like Norton Internet Security, WLOC, etc ?? -- or -- is the Hardware Firewall and a good Virus Scanning Program, sufficent (a program that takes care of virus', shareware, malware, yourware, ourware, (just a little dry humor). Can anyone advise on this. God's speed - Patrick C
In a nutshell, Routers that have Network Address Translation (NAT) "can" be configured to "act" as a Firewall (i.e. NAT Firewall, Hardware Firewall, Network Firewall or Stand Alone Firewall).

Most home routers come configured as NAT enabled by default. NAT enabled is not synonymous to Firewall Enabled. It simply means that it is ready to perform network address translations and normally common ports if not all are mostly open. Only by configuring NAT is it able to perform/act as a proper firewall.

This is where personal/software firewall comes in. These little marvels are above most, user-friendly and easy to configure and comes with integrated virus protection, traffic analyzers, intrusion detection and application blockers/malware protection among other things.

Unfortunately, only industrial grade Routers like that of what Cisco is offering to corporate environments can claim to be sufficient and able to act as an all-in-one firewall solution to keep network computer safe.

That is why having a good personal/software firewall is essential to pick-up where your home router is lacking.

I hope this was not too much of a read for you

Aaron and swarfegy already shared their personal preferences on software firewall applications to use.

Cheers
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2009   #6

Windows Se7en Ultimate Beta x86 Build 7057
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Airbot View Post
Hi Patrick,

What I use is Windows Firewall and Avast Home..It's free and very light on the system. It has a network shield that has saved me more than once, among 6 other providers and has an anti spyware module and rootkit detector as well. I find WF and Avast to be very good in overall protection IMO.
There are also some good antispyware programs that work well with Avast and can be used as supplements to it. Malwarebytes is a very good free program, also Spybot SD has real time protection and works just fine along side Avast as well as Win Defender. You just have to run Spybot in Vista Compatibilty mode and run it as an adminstrator.

Just my opinion, letting you know what works good for me.
+1 on the Avast+Win Firewall. It's all about behavior really in avoiding threats and those two work just fine especially if your behind a router with a firewall also.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2009   #7
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1
 
 

A software firewall program is always more protection .... being behind a router just isn't enough with the malware that's on the Internet in today's surfing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2009   #8

Windows 7 Home - 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NosferatuX View Post
In a nutshell, Routers that have Network Address Translation (NAT) "can" be configured to "act" as a Firewall (i.e. NAT Firewall, Hardware Firewall, Network Firewall or Stand Alone Firewall).

Most home routers come configured as NAT enabled by default. NAT enabled is not synonymous to Firewall Enabled. It simply means that it is ready to perform network address translations and normally common ports if not all are mostly open. Only by configuring NAT is it able to perform/act as a proper firewall.

This is where personal/software firewall comes in. These little marvels are above most, user-friendly and easy to configure and comes with integrated virus protection, traffic analyzers, intrusion detection and application blockers/malware protection among other things.

Unfortunately, only industrial grade Routers like that of what Cisco is offering to corporate environments can claim to be sufficient and able to act as an all-in-one firewall solution to keep network computer safe.

That is why having a good personal/software firewall is essential to pick-up where your home router is lacking.

I hope this was not too much of a read for you

Aaron and swarfegy already shared their personal preferences on software firewall applications to use.

Cheers
NosferatuX - Good Morning! Your input was great and contained some of the details I have been looking for. I have a Linksys WRT160N (B,G, & N) router. I checked into it and found that it has a "Filter Internet NAT Redirction" setting. Also there is also "Filter Anonymous Internet requests", Filter Multicast", & "Filter IDENT (Port 113)". I can also filter my MAC address as an added layer of security. I am using 'WAP2 Personal' Security, so I think I am covered. Thanks for the distinctions so I have been able to make sure I am covered. The issue now becomes if I ever use my Laptop elsewhere. Always another opportunity with computers!?!? Thank You, Weedmonk, & Jacee for your inputs - God's Speed - Patrick C
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2009   #9

Windows 7 Home - 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Airbot View Post
Hi Patrick,

What I use is Windows Firewall and Avast Home..It's free and very light on the system. It has a network shield that has saved me more than once, among 6 other providers and has an anti spyware module and rootkit detector as well. I find WF and Avast to be very good in overall protection IMO.
There are also some good antispyware programs that work well with Avast and can be used as supplements to it. Malwarebytes is a very good free program, also Spybot SD has real time protection and works just fine along side Avast as well as Win Defender. You just have to run Spybot in Vista Compatibilty mode and run it as an adminstrator.

Just my opinion, letting you know what works good for me.
Airbot - You were right AVAST seems to be a much better interface. I used AVG for a day but I decided to try AVAST. I also installed Vista SP2 Beta. Went right into Vista Ultimate 64. I realize I can't compare before AVAST to after but I like new stuff. Patrick C
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2009   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Glad you found a solution that works for you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Firewalls & Internet Security




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33