Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: New Windows vulnerability?

19 Jan 2010   #1

windows 7 x64 Home Premium
 
 
New Windows vulnerability?

My mother just emailed me in a panic. She heard a rumor that the code for xp, vista, and seven was leaked and is now "public", so now all Windows pcs are suddenly vulnerable to attacks. Anybody heard any new rumors like this?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Jan 2010   #2

Windows 8.1 Pro RTM x64
 
 

I've not heard any rumours about this, although it is probably true that you can find the code if you search for it. All OSes are vulnerable to attack if you don't have security installed - this means an upto date Anti-Virus program and an enabled firewall (Windows or a 3rd party).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2010   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I haven't heard anything like this. From a security perspective...it wouldn't be terrible if the source was available. That's often quoted as a benefit of open source software is that people can see exactly how it works and more eyes looking at the code often results in more bugs and problems found/fixed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


19 Jan 2010   #4

Windows 8.1 Pro RTM x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
From a security perspective...it wouldn't be terrible if the source was available. That's often quoted as a benefit of open source software is that people can see exactly how it works and more eyes looking at the code often results in more bugs and problems found/fixed.
Unfortunately, that can work both ways. Legitimate users (and developers) can view the code, make improvements and close any vulnerabilities, but so can hackers and other malicious people whose intent is much the opposite.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2010   #5

windows 7 x64 Home Premium
 
 

I gotta get her to stop listening to her sister-in-law. She emails everybody she knows every conspiracy theory/scare story she comes across, and sometimes my mom makes the mistake of believing her.

So, there is no new Windows problems? XP today is in the same place it was yesterday?

I'll email her back and calm her down... maybe I'll have her switch to MSE... it'll give her something to do and make her feel proactive.

Thanks!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2010   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Maybe she was referring to this news perhaps -

Attack code used to hack Google now public
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2010   #7

windows 7 x64 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Airbot View Post
Maybe she was referring to this news perhaps -

Attack code used to hack Google now public
Perhaps... but I hope not. That would mean she confused an OS with a browser, and a browser she doesn't even use anymore at that (I moved her to FF about a year ago. She loves it, mainly because I changed her theme to one with cats as buttons. *shrug* What can I do..? She's a mom, and moms seem to be that way.) And to make it worse, she's had a computer for about two decades now!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2010   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dwarf View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
From a security perspective...it wouldn't be terrible if the source was available. That's often quoted as a benefit of open source software is that people can see exactly how it works and more eyes looking at the code often results in more bugs and problems found/fixed.
Unfortunately, that can work both ways. Legitimate users (and developers) can view the code, make improvements and close any vulnerabilities, but so can hackers and other malicious people whose intent is much the opposite.
This is true, but as long as patches are regularly released, it seems that more often than not in the open source community the issues are fixed, rather than creating more issues. You don't usually see all that many attacks which completely trash a box or take over ownership in the Linux world. They do happen, but it's far more rare.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2010   #9

win 7 ultimate32bit, Win8.1pro wmc 32bit
 
 

is it refering to this




Microsoft readies emergency IE patch to counter public exploits Time: 10:50 EST/15:50 GMT | News Source: All About Microsoft | Posted By: Kenneth van SurksumMicrosoft has started dropping broad hints that an emergency patch for Internet Explorer will be released very soon to counter targeted attacks and the publication of exploit code for a “browse and you’re owned” vulnerability in its flagship Web browser.

The out-of-band update will be released once the company is satisfied that it has been properly tested against all affected versions of Windows. This could happen as early as this weekend.

Comment here! - 0 Comments for this story.
taken from active win
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2010   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition
 
 

as always the best defense against virus and attack is to keep your a/v software and firewalls up dated and to practice safe browsing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 New Windows vulnerability?





Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33