Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: So many still don't know about MS Security Essentials

21 Feb 2010   #11

Stools
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JonM33 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by malexous View Post
The last test by av-comparatives shows that while MSE has a decent heuristic detection, it's signature based detections aren't as good.
AV-Comparatives is a fraud. There's no reason to use them as a resource.

Totally agree!
It's funded by a certain AV company!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Feb 2010   #12

Stools
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
I am holding my breath and wait for the Nortons, McAfees and alike to go to court - especially in the EU. If MSE gets a dominent position (which it does not have yet), they could be vulnerable. After all, it cuts the feet from under those that want to make money with security programs.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by madtownidiot View Post
If Microsoft could build a secure OS, companies like McAfee and Symantec wouldn't exist in the first place. Hopefully the code for MSE isn't written by the same people who devoloped the OS
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by XboxOmac View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by madtownidiot View Post
If Microsoft could build a secure OS, companies like McAfee and Symantec wouldn't exist in the first place. Hopefully the code for MSE isn't written by the same people who devoloped the OS
Microsoft is divided into different things. MSE was made by the Microsoft Security Team. They're different jobs and sections in Microsoft.
#


All I know is these companies fair badly in the AV world! It would not be so bad if they had excellent AV techniques. This is probably why Microsoft came out with it's own AV. To do the work that others should be doing!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2010   #13
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1
 
 

There is no such thing as a "secure" OS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


21 Feb 2010   #14

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jacee View Post
There is no such thing as a "secure" OS.
When's the last time you heard of a linux machine that was infected with spyware?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2010   #15

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by madtownidiot View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jacee View Post
There is no such thing as a "secure" OS.
When's the last time you heard of a linux machine that was infected with spyware?
Any linux machine can have dormant spyware, especially if the user decides to visit random websites. Just because its inactive doesn't mean its not there. Microsoft should bundle MSE into Windows, along with a PDF reader. The OS should have functionality out of the box.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2010   #16

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by XboxOmac View Post
Microsoft is divided into different things. MSE was made by the Microsoft Security Team. They're different jobs and sections in Microsoft.
No doubt thought that the teams work together when they release an OS. On the flipside...if MS tries to secure something and tighten down security..people just want to turn it off and make it the way that it used to be. It's a real conundrum.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frostmourne View Post
Microsoft should bundle MSE into Windows, along with a PDF reader. The OS should have functionality out of the box.
Bundling things within the OS is what gets them into trouble. Personally, I would rather not have these things bundled...but instead have an option of what tools I install for these functions.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2010   #17

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by XboxOmac View Post
Microsoft is divided into different things. MSE was made by the Microsoft Security Team. They're different jobs and sections in Microsoft.
No doubt thought that the teams work together when they release an OS. On the flipside...if MS tries to secure something and tighten down security..people just want to turn it off and make it the way that it used to be. It's a real conundrum.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frostmourne View Post
Microsoft should bundle MSE into Windows, along with a PDF reader. The OS should have functionality out of the box.
Bundling things within the OS is what gets them into trouble. Personally, I would rather not have these things bundled...but instead have an option of what tools I install for these functions.
For PDF's you have the bloated Adobe or Foxit or Sumatra - so where is Microsoft?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2010   #18

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

But why would MS put time and effort into building a PDF reader? it's a simple file format and it's supposed to be universal. With that said, I agree about Adobe being bloated and hence the reason that I use FoxIt. But I don't really feel that I wish I had lots of other options since the PDF viewer does nothing more than show me the PDF.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2010   #19

 

Word 2010 will be be able to read, edit and create PDF files.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2010   #20

Windows 7
 
 

Can the Word 2010 Beta read PDF files?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 So many still don't know about MS Security Essentials




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33