Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Comodo.

02 Mar 2010   #1
XboxOmac

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
 
 
Comodo.

I was recommended to get Comodo Firewall for my computer, since ZoneAlarm was found to keep freezing up my computer and a resource hog. Now that I was recommended Comodo, should I use their AV and all their other products for security? Are they good? I have Microsoft Security Essentials, but I prefer sticking to one company.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Mar 2010   #2
Jonathan_King

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

I do not use third-party firewalls, personally. I use the built-in Windows Firewall, combined with MSE.

So far, I have been protected. No viruses or other attacks.

In answer to your question, it really doesn't matter if you use both a company's firewall and AV. Use your favorite firewall and favorite AV.

I recommend sticking to MSE, because we know it works very well.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2010   #3
XboxOmac

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jonathan_King View Post
I do not use third-party firewalls, personally. I use the built-in Windows Firewall, combined with MSE.

So far, I have been protected. No viruses or other attacks.

In answer to your question, it really doesn't matter if you use both a company's firewall and AV. Use your favorite firewall and favorite AV.

I recommend sticking to MSE, because we know it works very well.
I guess I'm going to just use Comodo Firewall then. I don't use Windows Firewall because I tell it to block this program, but apparently, it doesn't. I like something that shows a ZoneAlarm when a program attempts to connect to the internet. My Firewall isn't basically my use for viruses or security.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


02 Mar 2010   #4
Jonathan_King

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

That's completely fine. Go for it!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Mar 2010   #5
Pichu

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

By the way, since you are using a netbook, you are accessing from a router right? I believe that routers have a hardware firewall. Why use a software firewall, if you have a brick wall already being your router? =)

I never really like to install third party solutions if microsoft already has one. I find them to be horribly inconsistent.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Mar 2010   #6
antharr

Windows 7 64x
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Pichu View Post
By the way, since you are using a netbook, you are accessing from a router right? I believe that routers have a hardware firewall. Why use a software firewall, if you have a brick wall already being your router? =)

I never really like to install third party solutions if microsoft already has one. I find them to be horribly inconsistent.
To prevent applications or spyware from unknowingly allowing access in.

I don't use 3rd party firewalls either but some people like having that extra layer of protection there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Mar 2010   #7
Jonathan_King

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Plus most routers aren't great firewalls. Sure, they are better than nothing, but it is a good idea to have either a dedicated hardwre firewall, or even the Windows Firewall.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Mar 2010   #8
Pichu

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Completely true, just that on a netbook, if you want the best performance, go with the windows firewall. If you truely want another third party solution, know your consequences. Though, if you take your netbook to public locations to access the internet, the use of a firewall is integral.

I believe that you should focus on what you have, not on what you don't have, in this case, if you have a router firewall, or windows firewall. The less you have, the more, performance wise. Adding more security is in my opinion not a good sacrifice for performance.

It is your choice of what firewall to use,though I would definitely recommend only a router firewall and windows firewall for best performance and security ratio.

Cheers!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Mar 2010   #9
JonM33

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by XboxOmac View Post
I guess I'm going to just use Comodo Firewall then. I don't use Windows Firewall because I tell it to block this program, but apparently, it doesn't. I like something that shows a ZoneAlarm when a program attempts to connect to the internet. My Firewall isn't basically my use for viruses or security.
Windows Firewall blocks everything by default (inbound) IIRC. There's no need to tell it to block anything. It will prompt you to allow a program that wants to be added as a firewall exception.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Comodo.




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Comodo DNS
A while back, I had COMODO Firewall installed on my laptop. I had it enabled with COMODO DNS servers. It has been uninstalled from my computer now for months and today I stumbled upon a bad website and a message in the browser window came up saying COMODO DNS servers blocked that website. Is a part...
System Security
Comodo
Does anyone have Comodo firewall and anti virus running and how does it compare to Avira free editions?
System Security
New Comodo CIS Premium!
Hello Everyone, We would like to announce that COMODO Internet Security/Antivirus/Firewall 5.3.174622.1216 has just been released! What's new in 5.3.174622.1216? Below are *some* of the enhancements. The fixes included in the release notes are not the full list of the fixes. NEW! Full...
System Security
Comodo Firewall help
I decided to install Comodo and become familiar with it. After installing (5.0.163652.1142) and using a couple guides to get setup, I seem to keep failing a particular test with their CLT tool. Impersonation: ExplorerAsParent Vulnerable Anyone have any tips on how I can correct that? ...
System Security
comodo versus mse ?
hello i had cis installed but i have gone back to mse,can i have some opinions on which is best please? thank you.
System Security
Comodo Firewall Pro
Hello all....:) I'm about to install CFP v# 3.0.25.378; and I would like to hear some feedback. Is anyone running CFP on Windows 7 yet? Comodo Firewall Pro Thank you!
System Security

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App