Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: avast,MSE and windows firewall

05 Mar 2010   #11
Pichu

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
Your concept is wrong. Antivirus A cannot scan the quarantine folder of Antivirus B as its locked.
Besides, Avast is certified to run alongside MSE without any issues. Infact, there are many such couples which runs side by side at a time without any issues.
Do you have any proof that avast is certified to run alongside mse without any issues?
Check out this question somebody posted on microsoft's website
Running MSE together with Avast! Anti Virus

Perhaps, you didn't have any issues but seriously, cleaning up those two antivirus would be a nightmare...


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Mar 2010   #12
Dinesh

Windows® 8 Pro (64-bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Pichu View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
Your concept is wrong. Antivirus A cannot scan the quarantine folder of Antivirus B as its locked.
Besides, Avast is certified to run alongside MSE without any issues. Infact, there are many such couples which runs side by side at a time without any issues.
Do you have any proof that avast is certified to run alongside mse without any issues?
Check out this question somebody posted on microsoft's website
Running MSE together with Avast! Anti Virus

Perhaps, you didn't have any issues but seriously, cleaning up those two antivirus would be a nightmare...
Wait I will search the proof. I saw it the other day on some thread. Hold on.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Mar 2010   #13
Dinesh

Windows® 8 Pro (64-bit)
 
 

Ok found it. Read this article:avast! blog Greetings from Redmond
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


05 Mar 2010   #14
Pichu

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
Ok found it. Read this article:avast! blog Greetings from Redmond
Because of your documentation proof.....you are right...However, I still feel that, and I think a majority of people here feel that, antiviruses should never be run together. It is simply a wrong concept.

So to the thread starter: yes, you may run them together. however, this concept does not apply to all types of antiviruses. a huge majority of antiviruses cannot do this...I am surprised that avast gone so far.

As for me, I wouldn't run them together even if they could. The slowdown is not worth it in my opinion, and if one antivirus can already protect you from 99.7 percent of viruses, even if two antiviruses only make that 99.8 or 99.85, I'm willing to bet with that odds.

For those who take statistics class, I'm sure you know the area under a curve at .997, lying in the range of alpha =).....thus, it is statistically significant ,....which means not significant at all....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Mar 2010   #15
Dinesh

Windows® 8 Pro (64-bit)
 
 

For home users, I strongly recommend running only 1 antivirus at a time. However, I keep downlaoding and executing viruses on my PC hence I feel that it gives me a layered approach towards security. Also, I like testing antivirus softwares hence I run two at a time for fun. ATM, I have Norton 360 V4 and Avast 5 together with NO issues.

-capture.png


My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Mar 2010   #16
Pichu

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
For home users, I strongly recommend running only 1 antivirus at a time. However, I keep downlaoding and executing viruses on my PC hence I feel that it gives me a layered approach towards security. Also, I like testing antivirus softwares hence I run two at a time for fun. ATM, I have Norton 360 V4 and Avast 5 together with NO issues.

Attachment 58721
oh yeah, who says there wouldn't be issues later lol jking.
But you got your point across. A majority of us don't need the extra layered security. I don't go online and download viruses and execute them for the heck of it thats like finding the right gun to blow yourself up and seeing which antivirus fixes you back the best I guess curiosity gets the best of you eh?

I would recommend you to do that on virtual machines, because that significantly helps you avoid catastrophes XD. I'm guessing, since you are very reckless with your computer that you don't keep many important data on your computer. I keep all the videos, animes, homework, documents, pictures (tons), music (even more) on my computer. There are cases where viruses will kill off these files even if they are on an external hdd. So, I tend to avoid viruses where I could =). Now, i do sometimes run into rogue antivirus sites and malicious sites, and I like to download the exe files and test them, but on vms only otherwise, I would kill myself.

I find that MSE, windows firewall, and sophos scanner are more than enough for protection for average home user, and windows virtual pc or virtualbox for testing any software (including viruses) before installing on the host.

btw, Im repping you because I respect the fact that you supported your point, not that I agree with you =.=
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Mar 2010   #17
Dinesh

Windows® 8 Pro (64-bit)
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Mar 2010   #18
Pichu

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

I never even heard of that shadowdefender....? The claims the company makes are the same claims that every security company makes. How do you know you're safe?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Mar 2010   #19
Johnson

XP Pro and Windows7 32 bit
 
 

Hello Pichu,

Security Setup

AV Testing

I use Returnil, another virtualyzation app, and have done a limited amount of testing like this - deliberately getting infected - backed up by imaging the OS which, I haven't had to use because of a failure.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 avast,MSE and windows firewall




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Installed an anti-virus Avast, firewall (Dragon) PC cannot connect on.
Hello, good day, My PC cannot connect on the internet, after I installed an anti-virus Avast, firewall (Dragon). Also I can't delete them. I live in Brazil. I am using Windows 7. Sincerely,
System Security
Windows Firewall starts with 3rd party firewall installed and active
Hi guys, Could anyone explain to me why Windows Firewall starts when I have Comodo Firewall installed and running? It makes me nervous! :confused: I have a fresh installation of Comodo Internet Security. The only reason I knew it was running was because I got the message after a reboot,...
System Security
Avast free antivirus + Win7 firewall ?
I've previously used Avast free antivirus with ZoneAlarm firewall and also with Comodo firewall. I'm currently using Norton Internet Security but was thinking about switching to Avast free antivirus & using the Windows 7 firewall. But I was looking on the Avast forum & it appears people are having...
System Security
Windows Personal Firewall service and Mcafee firewall not turning on
I have been dealin with this 2 days now and went through all the steps recommended by Microsoft... even downloaded Virtual tech for mcafee and FIx it for MS none worked. went to google to try to follow other advises and tried to do malware removal . after it i followed these steps: Download both...
System Security
Avast 7 free! AV + Comodo Free Firewall Conflicts
I have always used Avast and Comodo as my AV/Firewall combination. I find it to be very useful, and although Comodo provides many annoying popups, they are useful and informational (I would consider myself a competent computer user, though no expert). Recently, I just wanted to see how good my...
System Security
Which Firewall is better, Avast's or 7's ?
Hello all Recently I have been using Avast's free Anti-Virus/Malware program and am very very impressed. Never before have I had a program that uses such little resources and completely and fully blocked all attacks. For a firewall though, for now I have been using Windows 7's and for...
System Security

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App