Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: What's the Best Anti-virus?

22 Mar 2013   #571
robinb9

Windows 7 Pro 32/64 bit and Windows 10 Pro 32 Bit/64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rybosix View Post
I'm aware of those considerations but I've read and from my own experiences--- some tests I stated ---have not shown any conflict, at least on the surface and the EICAR was detected and prevented on every test I did.

Sure, that is only one or two set of circumstances with only one kind of virus. Nobody really knows what would happen if I run every known virus through my same MSE - Avast test.

I'm happy with the results and feel secure with my decision until I have good evidence that these two will not play well together. Thanks for advice tho. I'm still relatively new to the PC world. R6

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by robinb9 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rybosix View Post
I have ebay 2009,Toshiba A135 W7 Ultimate( 32 ) bit, 1.73 Ghz, 2G RAM.

Using;
MSE + free Avast with no problems/conflicts that I'm aware of.

Also using paid Spwareblaster + free MBAM.

I atcually did some tests to by clicking on a link that tries to inload the EICAR test virus. MSE always finds it first so Avast never responds. I if turn off MSE then Avast detects and prevents the EICAR.

This is about the cheapest way to go and still feel like I'm fairly well covered. I probably should not have paid for the Spywareblaster autoupdates, however, it is the primary Spy/mal program for preventing malicious bugs, other that viruses.

MSE and Avast along with smart operations of what to not open should keep me relatively safe. It is only the smart part that worries me.

R6
You are not suppose to run 2 antivirus programs at the same time. They will fight each other and one or both or the OS will crash
Run either avast or MSE
Uninstall one
The problem with running 2 antivirus program is not which one grabs what first
The problem is they both boot up together and scan prior to windows opening
They could be scanning files at the same time and that will cause a conflict big time
I am not a newbie and I have worked on many computers who have done what you are doing and in some cases it crashed windows so bad I had no recourse but to reinstall windows
You look at any of the manufacturers and all will tell you must uninstall one before putting on another
You are playing what the call Russian Roulette, do you want to wait till something like this happens to you or do you want to be safe and use one antivirus program?
You can run an Antispyware program in real time, it boots up a bit differently then the antivirus ones do so you should not have a conflict


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
22 Mar 2013   #572
rybosix

Windows 7 ultimate 32
 
 
Still No Evidenca of a Conflict

There is no evidence of any conflict, at least on the surface but I repeat myself, as I do again here, until have evidence of true conflict between MSE and Avast, I feel secure and satisfied with my decisions so far.

If I hear or have evidence of a problem I will surely post here and let others know. You can consider me as one of the many gunia pigs hanging around 7 Forums R6

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by robinb9;2334594[/QUOTE
The problem with running 2 antivirus program is not which one grabs what first
The problem is they both boot up together and scan prior to windows opening
They could be scanning files at the same time and that will cause a conflict big time
I am not a newbie and I have worked on many computers who have done what you are doing and in some cases it crashed windows so bad I had no recourse but to reinstall windows
You look at any of the manufacturers and all will tell you must uninstall one before putting on another
You are playing what the call Russian Roulette, do you want to wait till something like this happens to you or do you want to be safe and use one antivirus program?
You can run an Antispyware program in real time, it boots up a bit differently then the antivirus ones do so you should not have a conflict
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2013   #573
robinb9

Windows 7 Pro 32/64 bit and Windows 10 Pro 32 Bit/64bit
 
 

Not today but when I get a chance I will post a bunch of websites to verify what I am saying and if any of the other knowledgable people in here see this post I am sure they will agree with me
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Mar 2013   #574
robinb9

Windows 7 Pro 32/64 bit and Windows 10 Pro 32 Bit/64bit
 
 

And you have been lucky so far, but if it was me I would not take that kind of luck on any of my 8 machines and all my clients machines. I have been in this business for 20 yrs and have seen the worst especially when two antivirus programs are running at the same time. In fact if you would have read the message when each installs it states you MUST uninstall the previous antivirus program prior to installing its product
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2013   #575
A Guy

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Many here were using MSE and Avast at one time. Apparently, at least then, they had no conflicts. I don't know if that still holds with the major changes to both programs. That said, I still believe it is universally advised to only use one active AV program at a time. A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2013   #576
robinb9

Windows 7 Pro 32/64 bit and Windows 10 Pro 32 Bit/64bit
 
 

Anyone interested newegg.com is offering today only avg Antivirus for 7.99
http://www.newegg.com/special/shells...ellShocker-LB3
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2013   #577
rybosix

Windows 7 ultimate 32
 
 
Maintenance Routine

I had a thought and maybe some others now the answer. I'm pretty good at doing regular maintenance;

disk clean and clear IE history cache etc...every few days and never over a week.

Since I Spyblast realtime, I could run my free MBAM as part of routine maintenance. However, I would need to have a list of the specific folders that should get that should get checked as a part of my regular maintenance routine.

I'm still trying to figure out windows top-to-bottom hiearchy of folders. I'm beginning to grasp it somewhat but sometimes I get confused of what a folders are in what folders. I'll spare you my mac experiences and just reiterate that I would love for Beginners guide to the following step by step the hierarchy of Windows folders.

I do recall W7 doing like mac with some indexing tho that is really a different potatoe.

I did get one tip today from my passing through PC step-son. Control Panel is in alphabetical order from left to right and not vertically in each column. 6 months I've been complaing about control panel not in alphabetical order. Well at least they didn't to go from right to left....ha ha.

I love W7 and enjoying my PC experience. Fun to learn something new, irrespective of some frustrations along the way.

R6



Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rybosix View Post
There is no evidence of any conflict, at least on the surface but I repeat myself, as I do again here, until have evidence of true conflict between MSE and Avast, I feel secure and satisfied with my decisions so far.

If I hear or have evidence of a problem I will surely post here and let others know. You can consider me as one of the many gunia pigs hanging around 7 Forums R6

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by robinb9;2334594[/QUOTE
The problem with running 2 antivirus program is not which one grabs what first
The problem is they both boot up together and scan prior to windows opening
They could be scanning files at the same time and that will cause a conflict big time
I am not a newbie and I have worked on many computers who have done what you are doing and in some cases it crashed windows so bad I had no recourse but to reinstall windows
You look at any of the manufacturers and all will tell you must uninstall one before putting on another
You are playing what the call Russian Roulette, do you want to wait till something like this happens to you or do you want to be safe and use one antivirus program?
You can run an Antispyware program in real time, it boots up a bit differently then the antivirus ones do so you should not have a conflict
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2013   #578
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Well for my humble and probably worthless opinion if you try running anything but Malwarebytes SAS or ADWCleaner with Kaspersky then you are in for a bit of bun fight. I ma of the opinion too like so many others hat there should never be two running in real time together.


Personally and a o slightly different note I am thinking here we go yet again everyone thinks theirs is the best and it might be for you BUT it's still down to how YOU use the machine/s it isn't rocket science.

I will admit folks that go for the freebies are either genuinely strapped for cash - or on the other hand just plain greedy. My Kaspersky costs me about $0.13 a day for heavens sake at full retail price get one of the offers that they frequently put out and it can half that with the extra years bonus and there are always retailers that undercut the sites price.

If you want a freebie Probably the Best Free Security List in the World

I put on Comodo Premium for some of my genuinely poorly paid workmates and it has been a really good if naggy suite. I am testing out the Bitdefender free at the moment because of some of the ratings from AV Comparatives etc and it is so automated and light on it doesn't need any thinking about - no nags just a pop up when it detects something or tell you the site you are hovering on is a no go zone.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2013   #579
rybosix

Windows 7 ultimate 32
 
 

Someone in another forum answered my question. That said that selecting Quick Scan will check those folders that are most vulnerable, so that I don't really need to do that.

I could watch and see which ones it does and then make my own list if I still wanted to try and do a custom scan more often. H,mm MBAM may not have custom scan option tho.

Oh well question is answered so thanks to all for advice given.

R6

Quote:
Since I Spyblast realtime, I could run my free MBAM as part of routine maintenance. However, I would need to have a list of the specific folders that should get that should get checked as a part of my regular maintenance routine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2013   #580
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Me I am waiting to see what the Malwarebytes rootkit killer is like (MBAR) when it is off beta

Malwarebytes : Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 What's the Best Anti-virus?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Possible Memory Leak Virus - Anti-virus detects nothing?
Hello, I am needing some support on what is exactly taking up all the RAM on my brother's PC as after about 8 hours of uptime, 65% of my Physical Memory is being used up with nothing really open. I did some research and found out it was a possible memory leak or virus, so I first tried to run...
Performance & Maintenance
I have a virus and unable to run/download anti-virus software
Hi, This is my first time posting to the forum. I am not that knowledgeable with computers, but can follow basic instructions. My laptop is acting funny--I think I have a virus. However, I am unable to run any anti-malware or anti-virus software. I try to run McAfee and I get an error...
System Security
Test your anti-malware/anti-virus protection with EICAR
As many of you know(quite a few don't) what EICAR is, this is a open poll to see what programs pick it up and what programs fail the basic tests. I am conducting this poll because A-Squared failed to see this on a scan, but MSE picked it up before it could be downloaded. So after you take...
System Security
BSOD 00x50 vipre anti-virus conflicting with new anti-virus
I did a bonehead move of installing PC tools anti-virus before uninstalling vipre on my wife who's out of town. The kids infected it playing flash games. long story short, Her Gateway (win7 home premium) is on a a start-up loop. All I can get to work with a recovery disk is get into the DOS prompt...
BSOD Help and Support
Anti-malware, Anti-virus, Anti-spyware
First of all i would like to apologize if this topic is in wrong category, or it should not even be asked on this site. And second of all, please be patience :) i'm a noob looking for answers :o So whats all about? Well i'm meeting new terms here and i have no idea what they mean and what they do....
System Security
How to Remove Win 7 Anti-Spyware 2011 (Fake Anti-Virus Infections)
How to Remove Win 7 Anti-Spyware 2011 (Fake Anti-Virus Infections) Source ...
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:03.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App